“My second home”
Review of The Expat Hotel

The Expat Hotel
Ranked #101 of 331 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The best address in Patong beach!

The Expat Hotel is my second home. Excellent location, just 2 minutes walk to Bangla Road. It's in a quite street, so you can stay in the heart of Patong but without noise of nightlife.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank giovannii42

Reviewed February 5, 2013

After a frustrating tour of trying to find a room in Patong after our ants and room without a window episodes in my other reviews and quite many "sorry we are full" (even though showing space in Booking.com) we ended up here.

Hotel is a bit expensive compared to more modern and newer hotels near by. It is also already has rather retro feeling. Like stepping back to Phuket 10 years ago. But it is clean and staff is nice and polite. Location also very good with close to Bangla but quiet still.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hakahaka
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

3days were not enough ! When I come back I'm going to plan a longer stay.
The staff goes out of their way to do the best for you but I didnt find them too welcoming

They MUST update their website and mention things clearly.There is a high chance that you may confuse yourself with the reservation of expat guesthouse and expat hotel.They tell you on arrival that the rates on the website were for another location or a different season etc

BUT they are people of their words and definitely do the best they can ! :)

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Nida N
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed here several days before Christmas 2012. If I had wanted to party each evening, I could have but I didn't need to and didn't have to. During the day I could lie by the pool, read a book from the lending library, get a massage, watch the cats , walk a block to the beach, enjoy the food at the restaurant or at the zillions of nearby places.

I booked a tour and that was fine. I rented a car and that was fine.

My room on the second floor had a small fridge, lovely place to sit outside and write on inside at the small desk.

The massage I began with on Christmas morning was very good.

I would have stayed there when I returned from a week long trip around Thailand but they were full.

Christmas lunch here was amazing with the manager and staff doing the most amazing job of making an American and European Christmas time. The pleasantness of the staff is unparalleled.

What I like most is that you can adjust it to your needs and interests.

Room Tip: Ask for a nonsmoking room. Tell them if you want a room on the first, second, or third floor.Quieter...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank mmoly
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I've stayed at the Expat 5 times over the last few years while visting friends in Patong who reccomended the hotel to me and would never stay anywhere else.
From my first visit onwards the staff have been fantasic, always pleased to see you and very helpful. The rooms although not 5 star are always clean and comfortable. I never really eat there that much apart from breakfast (very tasty sausage, egg and chips) as I prefer to scout around different resteraunts in the evening, but heard no complaints from other guests.
Overall the the thing I like best about the Expat is the atmosphere, always very relaxed with a lot of return customers and locals who enjoy a chat and a beer at the bar.
I always feel like I'm returning to a second home and I'd much rather stay here than a large resort style hotel.

Room Tip: The more expensive rooms on the ground floor are well worth the extra money, but as i usually book w...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank shaund255060
KingKlong, Manager at The Expat Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Thank you for your positive review. When I travel elsewhere, I would love to stay in a hotel like Expat but, unfortunately, I can never find anything close. Expat is only three star but we try to help people meet each other and have a great holiday in a convivial atmosphere.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have been to the Expat Hotel five times over the last five years and my most recent visit last week was a result of winning a voucher in a raffle for two free nights. I was so pleased it was this hotel as I know it well and I would prefer to stay here than any other hotel in Patong. As usual the staff are so friendly and Martyn, who runs the F & B, makes you feel very welcome. The bar and restaurant serve tasty food and drinks at very affordable prices. I will happily book (and pay) for future visits as I usually meet friends who also choose to stay there regularly. I live in Phuket but always stay at the Expat when in Patong rather than make the jouney back home.
Simon, Rawai, Phuket.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank SimonOH

Thank you Simon for a positive review. Glad you had a good weekend.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Back again for another taste of relaxation still great on site massage,still great staff,still great laundry service,still great food and beer might not be the cheapest but it has it all...ill be back

Room Tip: Poolside rooms with balcony are larger and the balcony is handy...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank JohnP3840
KingKlong, Manager at The Expat Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Thank you for your review John. Happy guests is what we aim at. We look forward to your next visit.