“dont go there”
Review of The Expat Hotel

The Expat Hotel
Ranked #98 of 331 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed August 1, 2012

stayed at expat for 4 nights in july 2012.a/c unit didnot work(room225)room was hot in day time.two australian gentlemen were main employee at hotel whom did not talk or answer me .they only comunicate with few australian guests at hotel.thai receptionist were nice but they hardly spoke english.i found expat aracist hotel and its good only for australians.it was a mistake for me staying there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank mohammad n
KingKlong, Manager at The Expat Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

We see a turnover of several hundred people a week at the Expat Hotel & Expat Sports Bar. It is not possible to give personal attention to each and every guest, but this should not be misconstrued as "racism". Expat Hotel welcomes all guests, irrespective of race, creed or colour. The majority of our guests are Australian: is it any wonder that we devote the majority of our time to them?

Reviewed July 14, 2012

stayed Expat for the third time,for two nights June 2012.Stayed poolside room.Was woken 8am by construction work to pool after arriving night before,then found out pool was closed for about a week for renovations.Would have been nice to have known this prior as I would had booked elsewhere.
upon checkout was asked to pay full room rate,even though when I booked was told I would be given a 15 percent discount for being a loyal customer(I was given the cheaper rate after explaining this)I was then asked to pay for airport transfer from arrival,which I had already paid for!....unacceptable,will never stay this hotel again.

Room Tip: close to the action,but there are much better alternatives..
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Steve L
KingKlong, Manager at The Expat Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

Regrettably, swimming pool maintenance was necessary at the time of Steve's stay. It was scheduled at the time of year that our rates are lowest and Steve received a discount for the inconvenience. Exact schedules are hard to tie down in Thailand. Apologies to Steve, but this maintenance is sometimes necessary.

Steve paid his airport transfer charge directly to the limousine driver whereas Expat Hotel policy is to charge his room account.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I have booked online for this hotel which went pretty well. However, when we arrived at the place we found insects in our bed and we requested to be transferred to another room. Unfortunately, the second room was not better at all.

We have decided to stay for the night and cancel the remaining 2 days booking due to the evident discomfort due to insects. This was when the "issues" started as they did not want to refund our money where we even ended up calling the authorities. Luckily, we found a good hote which was having the same rate but with much better and more clean facilities.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank DyAngelina
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Ms. Rowena Luna stayed at the Expat Hotel on 9 November, 2010 and she did, indeed, complain of insects in Room 226 at the time of her stay. The room was inspected and found clean. There were not any "authorities" involved in this dispute.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I would definitely recommend this hotel for a three nights stay. Mostly Australians book this place having a beautiful pool, nice restaurant, great bar (with no girlie nonsense) and is closely located near the beach. The staff at the hotel is experienced-very friendly and helpful...ever smiling and whats best...patient!!! One of bestr hotels I have stayed in recent times which is hardly 5 mins walk to the beach, also near to the famous mall and Bangla. Neat and spacious rooms having standard facility. The BF was excellent and for us Indians there were quite a few Indian joints nearby. What I have noticed was that 80% of the it's guests were regulars or returning ones and I am not surprised... would definitely stay again!!!

Room Tip: Deluxe Rooms are not recommended as they are a bit small....SD or even better SD with Poolside balco...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Recently stayed at the Expat Hotel. The booking process online was great and they did go out of their way to give us a suitable room, which was as promised on arrival. We arrived after midnight so would not say we were given a warm welcome but who needs it at that time of night.
The room was clean with a large bathroom but missed the things like where to put your toiletries and could have done with a hook or two and the lack of shower curtain or screen in such a large bathroom seemed strange although I know this is quite common in Asia.
The breakfasts were good and plentiful but they do not come with the room so are an extra charge, albeit quite reasonable.
We were there for a State of Origin night which was good fun and they provided some very tasty snacks.
What I like about these guesthouses is that they are very friendly and single travelers seem to be given plenty of attention. As a couple we did not feel as welcome at this hotel, probably if our stay was longer we may have felt the warmth more. They have a strong return patronage who absolutely adore the staff.
For the time of year, I felt the tariff was quite expensive, especially when you add breakfast to the equation.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Luv2Travel080257
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Not good at writing these things but here it goes. I have stayed at the EXPAT twice now and have no complaints. Clean comfortable rooms, safe always worked, clean sheets and towels. Never had a problem with anything ever getting stolen!!! I left all my valuables sitting out along with money and never had anything taken!!! Pool is nice and clean. Front desk staff is great!!! Always helped us find places to go, booked trips for us and told us places to watch out for so we didnt get scammed. The food is great, the service is great and the prices were very good. Love the sportsbar! The staff at the bar is wonderful and I never had to wait to get another drink or anything. There is always staff around to help you if you need it. There is a laundry right there and the price is very good and the service great. There is also a hairdresser right there and they do an excellent job at a low price. Location is great, very close to the nightlife but far enough away that you can easily sleep without hearing the hustle. The mall is also very close. The beach is maybe a 10 min walk away. Like I said I have no complaints and I recommend this hotel to everyone. I have had 2 very enjoyable stays at the Expat and already planning my third trip to Patong and the Expat.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I always stayed at the resorts on beach road & then I discovered Expat. The other places are second class compared to Expat. The staff are incredibly helpful & friendly, the food is delicious & plentyful, very relaxing atmosphere, happy hour is really happy & any request is always accommodated with a smile. If your after a real holiday where you come first, then I suggest you stay at Expat, you won't be disappointed. Trust Me.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo