“Very pleasant - Friendly Staff”
Review of Villa Atchara

Villa Atchara
Ranked #78 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I agree with others - it was lovely. Yes it is popular with European travellers but I don't hang out with folks at the hotel so that doesn't bother me at all.

I tried to think of some things that would be helpful - and here they are!

Location - The hotel is near the Novotel (my taxi driver had no idea), up the laneway on the right hand side. Some pics are provided.

Town - the town is to the left. Turning right and going for stroll looking for some brekkie results in a long, hilly walk to Kamala. - ok so I should have asked or looked at a map :)

Scooter Hire - the lady near the hotel is friendly - but gave me a very hard time when I returned the scooter - trying to blame me for dents and scratches that I had not caused. I would not rent from her again.

Tours - the Amazing Canoe tour to James Bond island (pink brochure) has a price printed but you can book it for half that price from the agents down on the beach front. Think I paid 900 Baht. Shop around. BTW the tour was great!

Overall - was fine for me!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank ally2010a
There are newer reviews for Villa Atchara

Reviewed February 3, 2012

On arrival the welcome we received was very friendly, and first impressions were good. However we quickly realised that as a British couple (with a young outlook on life) in their early 40's, we were very different from all of the other guests.
The whole place has an air of a German Old Folks home, with most of the clientele having some form of ailment or mobility issue. It got to the point where we wondered if it was a Rehabilitation Centre linked to a German / Dutch / Scandinavian medical company ?
The Thai staff (and female owner - Parn) working in the evenings continued to be friendly throughout our 5 night stay, however the 2 ladies covering the breakfast / day shift soon let their facade slip, and they were barely communicating with us by departure day. This appeared to be caused when they notified us of a BBQ taking place on our 4th night, and we were invited at a cost of 600 baht each (£25 per couple). We declined, as we'd hired a car and would be out exploring. I can only guess that this 'snub' offended them.
Breakfast is adequate, nothing more. We had lunch there once - that was fine.
We've now stayed in about 10 hotels, for 100+ nights in Phuket over the last 4 years. Given the high rating, and previous good reviews for Villa Atchara we were disappointed. This hotel is nothing special, and certainly not 'a hidden gem' in our eyes.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JamesandNichola
Reviewed January 22, 2012

The previous reviewer has it all so wrong. I'm not sure what they expect for the money they pay to stay at Villa Atchara. Perhaps they should have listed a comparable place in Phuket that is as good for value, service and cleanliness. I have personally stayed at Villa Atchara twice and have found the place to be a hidden oasis in Patong where nothing is too much trouble for the staff. I have also stayed all over Asia and the rooms at Villa Atchara are considerably more roomier than any other hotel I have stayed in. Parn and Johann do a wonderful job. Keep it up!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank johnnos5
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I had a very pleasant experience during my stay at Villa Atchara. The staff was incredibly friendly, attentive and the hotel had a very intimate feel. I would absolutely stay here again traveling to Patong as the service cannot be matched. I told the front desk that I wanted to scuba dive during my stay in Phuket and they even introduced to one of the other hotel guests who gave me a good recommendation on a diving company. The hotel is situated just right up the road from the Novotel and the beach so it's a very short walk to the beach in the morning.

I opted for the Penthouse room and booked a couple of months in advance for the high season. It still ended up cheaper than what a lot of the popular hotels were offering for a standard room. If you are traveling solo, it is not absolutely necessary to book this type of room, however, being on the top floor I found it to be quiet and peaceful.

The room was very pleasant and clean with a separate living room area and two bathroom areas and very spacious overall. The master bath included a Jacuzzi tub as well. I chose to use the hotel's airport pickup services where I was picked up by a member of the staff and met at the airport. Very convenient as they take you straight to the hotel with out any hassles.

The only downside is that it's about a 15 minute walk to Bangla Road if you are planning to party. Tuk Tuk's are available and will quote you 200 Bhat but are negotiable down to at least 120. If you are adventurous, you can always rent a scooter for a daily moderate price.

Room Tip: Book the penthouse room if available
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank revproj
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Hospitality is at its best at Villa Atchara. From the moment we walked in we were greeted like long lost friends and the staff continued to address us by our first names. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff and the chats each day and night with the owners and staff were great. Great location - quiet end of Phuket with beach at end of street and only a 15-20 minute walk to the hustle & bustle of Bang la Road & markets. Mattresses a little too hard for our liking and rooms a little too light at night from outside lights but that would be our only complaint. This place is a real credit to Johan & Parn and their staff. We would not consider staying anywhere else when we return to Thailand. Only been home 2 days and so miss this place already.

Room Tip: Superior rooms the way to go for couples - very spacious. Having said that, most of the time, we st...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Anne G
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I booked this hotel after reading the good reviews on Tripadvisor but I have to say that I totally disagree with them. I'm very not satisfaied by this proprety and we tried to change hotel after the first night but Patong hotels due to the super high seasons were fully booked. Bed was really unconfortable and after the first two terrible nights we asked to change the mattres because they were incredibly bumpy and extemly firm. Rooms are noisy and also the cleanliness could be improved. Every sigle day we had to ask for shampoo and shower gel because it was never replaced. The cleaning ladies were there very early in the morning screaming and shouting to each other so we had to ask to be more silent and polite towards guests in the early morning. Breakfast was very poor and only when we arrived we were told that paying with credit card added an extra 3% on the total bill ( never mentioned on the reservation mail or in the web site). Close to the room there was some electric device that was very noisy 24/7 and the curtains were so poor and didn't block the morning sun. Patong is full of better option for the same price.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank italyItalia
johan v, General Manager at Villa Atchara, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

I'm here to say that we're sorry to heard that from our lovely customers, we will take your complaining as a serious points to solve all problems. and thank you to let us know, everything will be better for the next season, please don't let that feeling ruin your trip and come back to us again if you would like to see any different ;)

please accepted our apologizes

Tanny,

General Manager.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

This hotel is a lovely Villa style and is a little bit of peace and quite in crazy Patong. The hotel is small and well kept with a nice pool and jacuzzi to cool down in. Breakfast is ok but the bacon was a bit strange! Overall room was a good size and bathroom water pressure a little poor but apart from that the hotel is really nice and the staff also great. Located at the end of Patong beach away from all the hustle and bustle of Patong which about a 15 min walk to all the crazy bars. The beach area close to the hotel is also more quite without water sports so great for swimming. Overall I was glad we stayed here as it was away from all the bright lights and loud music so it wasn't in your face and it was a little haven of peace.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple