“Relaxing Piece of Patong Beach”

Duangjitt Resort & Spa
Ranked #88 of 322 Hotels in Patong
New South Wales, Australia
“Relaxing Piece of Patong Beach”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

My girlfriend and I visited Thailand for the first time and we really were sure what to expect. Duangjitt was great easily gave us more than we ever hoped for. We got picked up from the airport its a little over priced but worth it if your worried about being overwhelmed. The hotel was great. Staff are very helpful some mis-communications but overall very good. The pools are massive and very clean. pool bar has games and drinks arnt too badly priced. The rooms are very spacious and the cheaper rooms overlook the pool. The garden wing wasnt as nice as the standard for views. The only problem is how far south it is. You can walk up the beach front to everything you want but you will find yourself getting a few tuk-tuk's. Dont use the spa at the resort it is almost 10x more then anywhere else.
Overall a wonderful place to stay whether you want a relaxing holiday or a little bit of fun.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bawley Point, Australia
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Very impressive place when you first arrive with the beautiful Spa buildings and the wonderful gardens. Our rooms were more than adequate and the bathroom clean and modern. The balcony view was of the extensive gardens and it was a relatively quiet place to stay. The pools were freeform lagoon style with islands in the middle and plenty of fragrant frangipani planted around. The main pool had a large waterfall under which there was an area for massages and the like. The resort is close enough to the shopping of Patong yet far enough away from the nightclubs and bars to be restful at night. I did a cooking class at the Blue Elephant Restaurant in Phuket Town and the building alone is worth the trip. The food we cooked was good and as we tasted the whole afternoon it was great to be able to take the food home at the end of the day. Although pricey at 3000THB the three of us struggled to eat all the food for dinner that night. The restaurants at the resort were underwhelming although the breakfast had the usual Continental, European and Asian dishes. I would like to see the restaurants become smoke free; there is nothing more off putting that sitting next to a table of people smoking when you are trying to eat breakfast. This is a good resort to stay at with a family – the kids club, though seemingly underutilised, had some fabulous activities available.

2 Thank Sharon A
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Patong isn't that big, a walk from one end to another is about 45 minutes only; this hotel although situated at far side, a quiet location, while 5 minutes to the beach.
Transport from airport is about 45 minutes. We got to our room on time. It was clean and quite well equipped.
Free Wifi at the lobby only. it's 25 bucks / day if you want the password to the wifi in your room.
It was pouring down the first night and my friend's room suffered a leaking roof. It was 1 am, and the staff cannot do anything that night. They were relocated the next morning thankfully.
The swimming pool was a bit disappointing comapred with the other hotels.
There wasn't any slides, no jacuzzi, There were two pools, one was donut shaped with an island in the middle. Some other hotels have a slow water current that circulates around, you can drift around slowly, but not this one. Strangely, the swimming pool and its bar close at 7pm which is very early.. I don't mind the staff at the bar or the towel cabin to leave, but since it was not lighted, swimming after dark is impossible. Some room for improvement here.
Breakfast is only acceptable. Since I'm not sharing the fruit and bread with the flies, I ate only the covered food, which was quite boring, consisted of boiled sausages, boiled ham, fried rice/noodles, fried veggies, french toast/ pancakes. Mercifully there was a stall outside that serves soup noodles, another serving fresh omelettes.
It's not bad, but it could be better.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This was our second stay at the Duangjitt, and we are confirmed in our affection for the hotel. It really is a resort, set back from the dirty streets of Patong within its own walled gardens. It's a BIG place. We don't have children, but we thought it would be a fantastic place to let children run around, with only one way out of the complex (and that guarded), extensive grounds, two pools, lots of flowers, frogs, snails, coconut palms, etc. Frankly, we can't believe the prices are so low, but I can see how it's not for everyone. The rooms and furniture are a bit old and shabby, the restaurant is nothing special, and the staff don't really speak much English. Still, for a budget family (or in our case, romantic) holiday, it's fabulous. And not a single sex tourist in sight -- well, not until you leave the grounds. Highly recommended for couples and families.

It's a short 100-200 meter walk to the beach, with a sidewalk to walk on.

NOTE: We were there during the April earthquake and tsunami warning. The hotel had an evacuation plan and the staff took it all very seriously. We passed people sitting around drinking beer at other hotels while we were evacuated by the Duangjiit to higher ground. Then, even though we were only evacuated for three hours, they brought us "emergency" sandwiches followed by a meal of egg fried rice once they got into the swing of things. The staff seemed genuinely to care that we were all safe, and they worked tirelessly to keep us comfortable in our brief evacuation. We were impressed -- and gratified.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Christchurch
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My Family (wife and two daughters) and I, stayed here for 10 nights and absolutely loved the place. The spacious grounds and friendly, helpful staff were terrific. The three magnificent pools cater to all tastes and we found the smaller pool which was very close to our villa very tranquil and relaxing. The well maintained, luxuriant grounds are huge and as someone else has mentioned, lots of nooks and crannies to explore. Truly an oasis in a desert of crassness and squalor.
We had 70% of our meals at the hotel because we didn't trust the hygiene standards in town or the environs and have no complaints with quality plus we were able to eat at anytime day or night. Regarding the repetitive nature of the breakfast I think people need to get over themselves a bit...it's only breakfast, personally I think 4 different ways of having your eggs is pretty good however I have to say the coffee is a bit..industrial.

With the greatest respect I think people are expecting a bit much to believe that they can come to a place like Thailand and not get some form of stomach upset...you just need to smell the open sewers and fetid water in the gutters to know that, though I have the utmost sympathy for the poor person who spent most of their holiday in hospital.
We found the room service faultless and the villa unit very much to our tastes..I felt like a colonial tea plantation owner sipping G & T on my veranda and listening in awe to the thunder storms. I did find the beds are a bit on the firm side though.
Regarding communication problems with staff I found a friendly smile, slower speech and a bit of sign language and patience goes a long way...sure they may not understand the subtle nuances of your chosen language but they certainly pick up on bad manners and rudeness.

We're unlikely to visit Phuket again but we would definately stay at the Duangjitt.

As an aside and as an experienced rider of a high performance motorcycle I urge you to please read the sobering statistics on motorcycle accidents in Phuket before contemplating the insanity of hiring a scooter in Phuket...the sight of a bloodied and unconcious tourist lying beside their deconstructed scooter on the side of the road will stay with me as graphic example of a monumentally stupid decision. No helmet, shorts, jandals and a bare chest looks really cool till your kneecaps and elbows are being grated off.

Room Tip: We stayed in a villa unit which turned out to be right next to the staff carpark so kept awake in th...
1 Thank gavin b
toowoomba
Reviewed April 22, 2012

My wife and I spent 5 nights for our 40th wedding anniversary last week at this beautiful resort and could not fault it in any way whatsoever.The staff were absolutely first class and would have loved to have taken them home with us.We also were there for the tsunami warnings and could not praise management highly enough for the way that they handled the situation and as the Resident Manager Mr. Prasong put it to me " your safety is the utmost priority for us". I spoke to some other tourists who stayed at another resort closer to the beach than ours and all they were told was to assemble on the top floor of the Hotel, whereas the Duankjitt Management took the ultimate precaution and moved us all to higher ground.Not only did they provide food and drinks but the staff opened up their rooms for us to use the amenities which was a lovely gesture. My wife and I had the honour of being introduces to the owner of the establishment and what a charming lady she was expressing concern that we were okay after the scare.
In conclusion thank you Duangjitt Resort " WE WILL BE BACK"
Regards
John & Val Cairncross
Toowoomba
Queensland
Australia

2 Thank john c
Sydney
Reviewed April 20, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Duangjitt hotel for 11 nights. Well we actually only ended up staying for 4 because the resturant at the hotel gave me FOOD POISIONING. I had to call a doctor to the room which cost me $350 AUD, and was told it was food poisioning which was from the Chicken I ate from the inside resturant. I was very sick and was unable to leave the hotel room, I asked if I could use one of the DVD players because there was only 1 english channel and was told no because I am ONLY in a standard room. Then the next day we had an earthquake and tsunmai alert, I was asleep during this as I was still very sick, I heard the alarm and walked outside to see what it was, there were hotel workers walking in the walkway none of them pointed out to me what that was, I had to ask what the noise was. Once they said Tsunmai alert I asked how long they told me I only had 15min before it comes (thanks alot for the notice). The next night I went to hospital because the food posioning had dehydrated me and I was just too sick to stay any longer. I ended up spending the rest of my stay in Bangkok International Hospital in Phuket (fantastic hospital). I asked for a refund because I had gotten food poisioning from their resturant and I hadnt stayed in the room because I was in hospital only to be told no they will not give me a refund!! How is this right they make me sick and I am the one who has to lose out by missing out on all the enjoyable things we had planned in patong and I can't even get a refund. There are plenty of other hotels I would stay at for the amount I payed. I would never stay here again!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank patchdasha

Travelers are raving about these Patong hotels