“Wonderful resort with good food and lovely stay”

Sunset Beach Resort
Ranked #40 of 331 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Wonderful resort with lovely reception. I have requested for flower arrangement as it was a honeymoon trip. It was mesmerizing when we entered the room. Lovely view of the beach in front. The hotel had wonderful and helping people to serve. They guide also very well for the tourists. The room was very spacious and always cleaned. There was good connectivity to Patong town free of cost

Room Tip: choose beach side deluxe rooms instead of pool side rooms. Wonderful sounds of waves in night times
4  Thank Ashishk123
Write a ReviewReviews (1,029)

Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at Sunset from 8 dec 2013 to 20 Dec 2013. And I can say wow what a lovely place to say! I must say I am quiet fussy about hotels and rooms and cleanliness etc. And I found sunset beach resort reached my expectations :)
We arrived at the resort at 11am. We knew we could only get our room at about 2pm, but they then called us at 12 to tell us we could get our room. Which was wonderful- we got a pool entrance room! We exhausted so all we wanted to do was have a lie down. I found the rooms were great. After all you aren't in your room that much. But everything was perfect. Amazing bed, tv (only used it once) , great aircon! , spacious bathroom with bath and shower and a clothes hanger outside on the balcony, with two chairs. The rooms have more than enough space. They cleaned them everyday. Replaced the complimentary water everyday. Service at the resort is wonderful, staff are all friendly and funny. We especially liked Guy.

Staff can generally advise you on what to do and what not to do. We booked all our tours through the tour desk - with Bee- which the resort provides.

Amazing pool. I would suggest a pool view room as I'm sure it's quieter than the sea view rooms. The sea view rooms are separate from the pool view rooms- so you have to walk across a street to get to the pool.

Wifi is free and works just fine. Room service is quick.

There is a beach in front of the resort but not really suitable for swimming. Which was no problem. We went to beaches around the corner called Laem Singh and Surin beach! They are way better, quieter and cleaner than Patong beach.
The free shuttle that was available from 9am to 9pm was great! You could jump off wherever- on route to Bangla or on route back to the resort. There were always Tuk Tuks available infront of the resort as well. We loved taking them as well.
There is a great variety of food stalls just down from sunset in the same road as well as a Family Mart.
The resorts food was delicious as well. (I don't understand how people say everyone gets good poisoning here? We didn't meet one person that got food poisoning from the resort- and we socialized alot)

All in all great stay, great rooms, great service, AWESOME holiday!

Thanks Sunset Beach Resort!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Courtney B
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The rooms were very comfortable. Clean and of a very high standard. I would suggest a room with a pool view as it is quieter and more relaxing. The room had everything that a holiday maker would need for a relaxing stay. The resort is nicely located where its quiet and still around everything you need. The staff are friendly and enjoy joking with you. Wifi is freely available should you need it. Pool area is stunning and there are two separate pub areas by the pool to grab a quick drink. A Spa is nearby should you wish. If you have not done so before you arrive, you can book tours near reception. The breakfast buffet was decent. You can also hire a scooter at the resort, otherwise they do have a shuttle that goes back and forth between Bangla road every 30 min, but the driver is not much of a people person, and is sometimes quite late. The dinner in the restaurant takes a bit long to be served, but food is nice. I do suggest some form of bug spray to combat the mosquitos.

All in all, we loved our stay here, and we will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms with a pool view are more relaxing, and rooms with sea view are noisy.
3  Thank Graham W
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I did not want to leave... We traveled with my son and his fiance. We all agreed the beds were very comfortable and roomy (Californian King). We had a beach front rooms...The rooms were clean and the staff friendly. Eat there many times and loved it. The resort is just far enough away from the hustle and bustle but close enough to walk to Patong beach and Banglar Road which we did often. There is a free shuttle to take you there too. Personally I loved the Tuk Tuks! We were treated like family and made friends with many staff members. It felt like home staying there. We stayed there on the recommendation from my son who had stayed there before and loved it. I would definitely stay there again when I return. I use the day spa facility so I can't comment on that. We stayed in Dec 13/Jan 14. The weather was nice and wasn't all that hot.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1307 and 1308 beach front rooms. View is fantastic always something to look at. Traffic...
2  Thank Jillian G
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The hotel was part of a package tour. The room was large, so was the bathroom. They have a clothes horse on the balcony which is very useful to hang towels and/or costumes to dry. The breakfasts are the Same each morning and quite tasty. The staff are helpful and friendly. The rooms are very clean, although the bedding and towels are quite old and still in a reasonable condition. The hotel pool was fabulous. The hotel is across the road from the beach. Unfortunately this part of the island is quite rocky and not suitable for swimming. They have a shuttle service every 30 minutes (traffic dependent) into Patong which was a huge
benefit. There is also free wifi, the connection was a bit slow, but adequate to message, FB and get mail.

1  Thank Monique S
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My partner and I travelled and stayed at the Sunset Beach Resort a little while back now and all appeared fine until we had a meal on our first day. I knew within 30minutes of this meal I wasn't well and my partner not long after me. We both managed to recover enough the next day we could safely leave our room.
From that point for the next couple of days we ate outside the hotel and then our biggest mistake.. a club sandwich each from the resort.
Within 20 minutes we were both violently ill suffering severe vomiting and diarrhoea.
For the next day we were to ill to leave the room and needed another day on top of that again though my partner never fully recovered until after arrival back in Australia.
Reception gave us tablets which did help us but we needed more to get us through the flights home, so during a change of planes at Singapore I went to a chemist to get more of the same tablets only to be advised that these were actually a very high dosage antibiotic that should only be prescribed by a doctor. The chemist was appalled that a reception desk at a hotel was dishing these out freely.
Our own doctor in Australia advised even as a doctor HE had to phone for approval to prescribe them.

In the few day of half recovery prior to leaving we talked with other guests of this hotel whilst waiting for and during the shuttle trips to town and back only to discover many others having suffered the same illnesses and symptoms as we did and similar timing around resort meals to ourselves at some stage during their own stay.

One couple even stated a chemist they had visited in Patong for treatment had said he often and regularly treated guests from this resort, more so than any other!!

I did place a negative but true review back then on the site I booked the resort through, AsiaRooms.com but that review was never published.

In fact you will not find anything but good reviews on the asiarooms website for this resort and none of the reviews from the many that have posted reviews elsewhere regarding food poisoning

Gives both a miss!!

Terrible on all but one rating not to be extreme but to be accurate.
Service terrible - dishing out drugs & rude when I suggested it may have been there food
Value terrible - we spent so much of our trip so ill
Sleep quality terrible - bed was OK but both spent so many sleepless nights sick
Cleaniness terrible - we emptied our bins & washed our cups etc more than once

etc etc etc

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SeanBAU
sunsetmanager, General Manager at Sunset Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear SeanBAU,

As the General Manager of the hotel, I would like to apologise for the incident described. Please be assured that our restaurant places high value on uncompromising cleaniness and hygiene. We get regular and unannounced inspections by the food inspector from Bangkok.

Our resort gives only ORS (Oral rehydration salts) for this case. I thought that a staff may personally give own antibiotics to the guests. It is possible to get antibiotics from a drug store without prescription (Thailand law).

I would like to contact you to arrange an investigation of the causes for your bad experience and antibiotics. Please contact us by email to info@sunsetphuket.com

Thank you very much in advance.

Sincerely yours,
Worapol Ungtrakul

Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

The resort is a fair bit away from the main beach: Patong, but the hotel provides free shuttle bus service (every 30 mins) to ferry you into town and near the sandy beaches. This is handy if you want to retreat from the hustle and bustle of Patong beach! Note: Patong Traffic can be very slow during peak hours, so plan your time accordingly.

The hotel is welcoming and has decor reminiscent of the 70s/80s.

The rooms are comfortable & our room faced the pool with a small balcony (BONUS!!!) however the bath can take some time to heat up and some of the electric plugs sockets looked like it was ready to fall off. In general, the room could do with a redecoration but since everyone will be either at the beach or in the pool, the state of the room won't concern you too much.

Breakfast is your standard continental breakfast. Nothing special or abnormal.

Note: directly in front of the hotel is Kalim beach ( I think) it's a pebble beach so not really suited for swimming but it's okay to waddle in to cool down. Also at night on the beach, there are street food stalls to try out.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ken C

Dear Ken C,

Thank you for your feedback and that you have taken the time to describe your impressions. We apologise for not having met your expectations of room design.

We are upgrading the new universal electric plugs socket. Now, our electrician supervisor has checked that every electric plugs sockets are complete installation.

Sincerely yours,