“My home in Phuket for 9 days”

Sunset Beach Resort
Ranked #51 of 322 Hotels in Patong
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“My home in Phuket for 9 days”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Being our maden voyage overseas, we chose Thailand as we heard so much about this exotic country and it's islands. We wanted to be located nearby all attractions and amenities so allowed our consultant at Flightcentre to do the necessary. This Resort has the perfect location, situated a bit north of Patong close to Kalim Beach & away from the hustle & bustle of the city but not too quiet. It's about a 10 minute drive away from Bangla road Patong were everything happens from bars,pubs,restaurants, shopping malls and markets, shows and much more.... What a nice idea for the resort to have a free shuttle service running every half hour each day from 9am-9pm which saved us some bucks & we only needed to take a taxi or tuk- tuk if we wanted to stay out late for the night life. Really awesome views of the beach from the reception area. Breakfast was good each day with a variety of foods ranging from traditional bacon & eggs, fruits, cereals, yogurts, breads, croissants, muffins, cheeses, jams and lotsa of traditional Thai foods like fried rice, sweet & sour chicken, Thai curry and egg noodles however it could be served until 11 am for those party animals sleeping in bit late. Most staff were friendly especially hearing that Thailand was known for the 'land of smiles' but for the few not so friendly ones we greeted & smiled politely so they returned the gesture very quickly. Restaurant foods were very good as we ate there a few nights example seafood, egg noodle dishes, stir fried dishes, salads, pizza, green & red Thai curry and especially room service coming from the night market were we would definitely not eat which was available until 12am. All amenities were within the resort ranging from swimming pool, jacuzzi, Sauna, beauty and spa treatments, tourism desk that arranges your tours, 3 bars etc.
We had a superior room on the 5 floor with amazing views overlooking the entire resort and pool area. Rooms were very neat with shower in en-suite with mini- bar/fridge And yes of corse air con which was most important. Bedding were changed daily and rooms were serviced as soon as we left for breakfast and would at most times be cleaned on our return. Toiletries and bottled water was also replenished daily complimentary, water oh my word such a comodity in Thailand as we could not use tap water to even brush our teeth of fear of picking up a tummy bug so played it safe. Service of drinks and snacks at pool bar was a bit slow even though there wasn't too many guests lazing around the pool soaking up the sun maybe this is because those Thai people are so laid back and have not seen anyone get angry throughout our stay in Thailand as a matter of fact. No need to bring beach towels along as we could get at the pool bar. Just at the back of the resort there is a little back road with a laundry, massage parlors, hairdresser, tattoo parlor, a nice neat Thai restaurant, tailor and most importantly a tuck/ house shop with blue roofs, they sell everything from cigarettes, headache pills, bread, milk , cold drinks, cold beers and spirits right on our doorstep and only a stone throw away, magical if you didnt feel like walking too far to the family mart further along the beachfront in that Thai humidity and heat. Overall i had a good stay at the resort accept for a few minor things that they can improve on like renewing some of their towels, bedding and crockery and maybe deco which is a bit outdated but then again it's my personal opinion but it could be part of the island resort experience. Had a perfect Thailand holiday with a touch of the local experienced aswell.

Room Tip: A good room to choose is a superior or deluxe double room for couples or suites for families over lo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
17 Thank Shanjakes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My tour company forgot to schedule a pick up for me at the airport. I independently arrived at the hotel and was helped by the HELPFUL receptionist to clear up the miscommunication. There is at least one receptionist who does understand and speak English. You just have to address her! Overall, the room was CLEAN. Room Service was fast. The POOL was GREAT!! It has shallow and deep end. The beach is literally across the street!! There are great massage places within a 10 minute walk : ) Breakfast was your standard American continental breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Nancy R
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

Average location, terrible service, dirty, disgusting dingy 'resort'.
Upon check-in we were greeted with an uninterested, distracted receptionist with no basic English comprehension.
We were taken to our room, with no offer made to carry our luggage, the door was unlocked and the bell boy left in a hurry. The 'deluxe' room was filthy, very basic not to mention the smell. Upon further inspection, our balcony overlooked a putrid ally way, the clock/light functions did not work, tv did not work. We upgraded to a 'superior' room, still dirty but a marginal improvement.
On day 2 we had breakfast and became terribly ill, violently vomiting etc. When we approached the front desk, I was surprised by their complacency. Openning the top drawer and handing over some pills like an all too common occurrence.
Later speaking to fellow tourists of the same resort, we all experienced the same.
I will not return and definitely do not recommend to others. AVOID AVOID AVOID.

• Stayed July 2012
6 Thank Scaffy18
sunsetmanager, Manager at Sunset Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback. I would like to say sincerely apologize to your vacation on our hotel. We have already checked all of the problems that you wrote down to make it clear. We would like to explain to you that why our hotel have a pill for diarrhea. It is our first-aid policy to take care of guests that have some unclean food from the outside of hotel, such as restaurants in Patong area, cheap day tours and street food. We have many diarrhea reports from guests who were back from going very cheap day tours from nearby tour agents. I do not refrain from action of your complaint. The hotel has already hired a nutritionist to make sure 100% that the problem does not happen from us. Finally, I would like to say thank you so much for your information that you give to us.
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This was our first time to phuket, and i was blown away by the breathtaking views from the hotel. Our room was on the sea front, and even though we were only on the 2nd floor it was great. We stayed here for two weeks, and the room was really nice, quite plain and nothing overly special but it suited us fine. The location was a relief, as the hotel is about a 5 minute drive from the heart of Patong it was quiet and peaceful. The hotel offers a free shuttle bus every half an hour (if i remember correctly) to and from the main shopping district which we took advantage of every day. The staff were lovely and very friendly, although we did struggle a little with the language barrier, that was to be expected. The restaurant at the hotel is on the beach front and it offers a great breakfast buffet and cheap meals for dinner. Although the pool closes at 7pm and the hotels internet is really quite slow, these are the only negative things I could fault. I would definitely recommend this place to my friends and family.

Room Tip: If you get a beach front room you need to be on the third floor or above so the view is not interrup...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This hotel is in a bad shape. This is the 3rd time we visit and we have seen the hotel going from very good in 2009 to the deteriorated state it is in now. The bed linen is torn and full of holes, the towel are ripped. The wooden pool loungers are in such a bad and broken state that I will not even want to risk lying on them as they certainly will collapse under body weight. The rooms have serious damp problems and smell of mildew so badly that my entire family got sinus and hayfever. In the past the wireless internet, although expensive, was very reliable. Now, it is free but total 11Mbps system capacity cannot hope to accommodate the 150 rooms where each person has at least a phone and/or and IPad connected. The restaurant is disappointing in that VERY SINGLE DINNER we took, they got the orders wrong. I booked through Sawadee.com and requested a bottom floor room, because we have small children that will climb over the balcony rails. Sawadee replied that I need to then book a Deluxe room instead of superior room - the deluxe room was much more expensive but I paid this to ensure bottom floor because of my two small kids that can fall from the balconies. I twice sent an email to the hotel to confirm that I need bottom floor. Nevetheless when I got there they could not give me a bottom floor even though I paid for one. All the fighting did not help. Only on the second day they could find a bottom floor room for me, but I had to go through the schlep of moving everything in the room myself...

Room Tip: Avoid the street, ask for a room overlooking the pool rather.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BertusE
East London South Africa
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Great views from the sea facing rooms and some fun waves at Kalim right across the road. If you like the beach though Phuket in general doesn't offer great beaches. Good service and food at the resort and a lovely pool area. Found language barrier a bit tough and a better understanding of english would benefit the resort for international travelers.
Overall a good stay , even though we had some technical issues in the room , these were very promptly resolved.

Room Tip: Pool Facing rooms are set further back from main rd and probably quieter for sleep, however they don...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank surftrips
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We have just returned from 14 days at this hotel, I found most of the staff to be pleasant and helpful, yes there is a language barrier,but they speak more English than I do Thai. We had problems getting the rooms that I had requested and had to move 3 times, which was a bit of a pain. The room are looking a bit tired and could do with a bit of a make over but they were clean and the bed linen was changed daily. the beds are very hard, but if you ask they will give you a mattress topper to soften the bed,(a bit). the bathrooms are spacious with a separate shower and bath. Breakfast was ample with the usual buffet stuff, eggs, bacon etc. We ate at the hotel restaurant a few times and found the food quite good and reasonably priced. The shuttle bus was good, but small, and is first in first seated, but came and went 1/2 hourly dropped and picked up at the top of Bangla rd. Had 2 Thai massages at the hotel spa which were very good, but had a manicure/ pedicure and was very disappointed with this, the girl doing it kept answering her mobile phone, I had to ask to have my heels pumices,and no hand or foot massage, my daughters had their nails done at, Poi's (the massage place in the alley next to the hotel passed the tailors next to a small restaurant) the ladies in here are very friendly and give really great massages. My husband also had a few massages at the first place in the alley and he was happy with them. Had some shirts made at the tailors in the alley beautifully made, and fit perfectly, my sister and niece had skirts jackets pants and dresses made and these were impeccable, he is a bit dearer than inPatong but couldn't fault the workmanship or customer service given. We used Sujuki travel agency next to the grassy area, the ladies name is Bew and she is fantastic very helpful and obliging and speaks very good English. I would go back to this hotel because it is very good value for money, the beach across the road is just a small bit of sand and rocks, but the hotel pool was fantastic.

Room Tip: ground floor pool view rooms are the best. they only have 4 inter connecting rooms so make sure you...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family