“From good to poor...”

Ranked #291 of 406 Patong B&B and Inns
Oakland, Califonia
“From good to poor...”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed at Connect Guest house on the Summer of 2011 and I thought back then it was great value for the price I was paying. It is located in the 'gay area' and in general I had a great time there. That's the reason I decided to stay there on my second visit to Phuket during Christmas 2012.

This second time, I made the reservation through travelhero.com, with several months in advance, to make sure I could stay in the room I wanted. The web site gave you the choice to pick the room you wish, and even show pictures of each of them. Since I knew from my first visit that the rooms facing the street were way too noisy, I made sure to pick one in the building behind....

Two weeks before my trip I emailed the Guest House and asked for arrangements to have a taxi picking me up at the airport and also asked for confirmation for my reservation. I received confirmation for the taxi but they didn't mention my reservation, so I had to emailed them two more times to get confirmation; I receive a response saying 'your reservation is confirmed. I insisted on this, because they were using a third party company for the reservation, and I found out through their website that the hotel was bought by new people, also, I didn't want to travel all the way from the US to arrive in Thailand with no Hotel.

I arrived to Phuket on December 21st, 2012 and the taxi was waiting at the airport. Everything seemed fine until I arrived to Connect. Once there, I found out that the room they said it was confirmed, was not available. The manager told me the room was not available (she didn't say why) and that instead I was getting an "upgrade" for the same rate I was promised. I asked to see the room and a very friendly guy took me there. The room was in a building located on the street behind, and to access the stairs, you have to walk through a 'laundry business', where people are working and where they actually live and sleep. The room was dark and it had two different access doors, one of them to an exterior hall, which made me feel someone could break in at any moment. Normally, I'm not so picky about places I stay, and a proof of that is that I don't write reviews, but this room was awful! I went back to Vicky, the manager, I told her there was no way I would stay there. She then offered another room on the same building but on the third floor. The room was much better so I decided to take it and make the best of my vacation... I want to point out Vicky told me this was an "upgrade", when she should have call it a "downgrade", and please know I'm not being sarcastic... As I was leaving for my room I asked her: "is everything working OK with the room, the safe, the AC?" she responded "yes, everything is fine". To my surprise, the AC was not working and it took them three days to fix it, so I had to get very drunk every night in order to sleep. They did offered that I could sleep in the "scary room" below (the one they offered first) if I was too hot, but made no offer that I could move permanently to another room.

I mentioned earlier that this room was on top of a laundry business, well, the people working there also live in the space and even sleep on the floor as I noticed it when I came back to the room late at night. Also, they would see who is coming or leaving at all times. Or you would have to go through 'their space' when they are having dinner, which was very uncomfortable for me, and I would imagine for them as well. Why on planet Earth, you would have your guests going through such an embarrassing situation?

Another thing was the mattress in the room. It was old and disgusting, you could even feel the springs with a very soft touch of your hand and it was hard as a rock. The towels were old and obviously dried on the sun because they felt like sandpaper on your skin, perhaps they don't know that towels like that are a real torture, especially when you skin is sunburned?

The Guest House was sold by the previous Swedish owners, to French ones, The new owners spent some money replacing the tables and chairs in the restaurant and it looks quite nice. My humble message to the owners is: You have a gold mine with this hotel but you are mining silver, not gold. If you want to make money, spend some money and train your staff accordingly. Relocate that laundry business, and give those people a more decent place to live. Buy decent mattresses, they don't need to be five stars hotel mattresses, but something a little better. Make a personal tour of each room in the hotel and honestly ask yourself if you can stay in that room; if your answer is no, you should not offer that room to any guest. Please believe me, I work in property management and I know what I talking about. Finally, replace your towels more often and tell your staff not to sun-dry them, because you should not offer your guests sandpaper towels....

Those are my bad experiences, however, I have to say that the boys working the restaurant are very nice and I have no complains about them. The food is very good and well priced. As I was checking out I thought that perhaps I would receive a complimentary discount for all the inconveniences, perhaps a free day or at least a half price for one day; however, I was charged full price and received no apology for what happened.

My last advice to the owners is, look after your business, make sure you are reading emails from customers, follow up directly with them while in the Guest House, and make sure your manager understands customer service where 'the customer is always right'. Also, spend some money and buy a decent software so they can keep track of the reservations, we are in the 21st century and you are using a "big book" to keep track of the reservations and rooms!

My advice to future guests: Don't stay at Connect, you don't even need a reservation to stay in the Gay Area in Patong, there are plenty of Guest Houses in the area that charge pretty much the same; come to the island with no reservation, asked to be dropped off in the Paradise Complex and walk around, I am sure you'll find a Hotel or Guest House you like.... And enjoy your vacation, this is a real Paradise!

Room Tip: Do not stay in the building located on the main street as the noise from the bars would not let you...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank ernestocuban

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I've only eaten and drank at Connect Restaurant a few times over the past couple weeks. The food is fine but the reason for my poor rating is because of the pushy money boys who work there! So incredibly annoying to have some young men leering over you while trying to eat. Unwanted pats, hugs and attempts to sit on my lap all in hopes of getting a "tip". They should realize not everyone is interested!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank U99A

Travelers are raving about these Patong hotels

Yogyakarta, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

to stay inside the room are nice and safety because they safety box and also nice room. owner also nice wellcoming the guest... but if you want some thing more for view and atmospher.. this place are not recomended.. to noisy from people surrounded and becarefull with people you meet outside.... the staff are very friendly specially the black guy he is so nice... tour better book outside travel agence are cheaper and good.. many small travel agence outside so no worry you can book eveything there...

to hook up and fun this place are recomended.... but to stay and atmosphere not at all

Room Tip: better to choose room near the owner room... 4th floor
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 13, 2012

friendly service, real good food (a la cart, bbq- and thai-buffet,...), fair prices, good location.
were here with friends very often in our holidays and will come again to connect in my next thailand-holiday!!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank markuskraft
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Had a five night stay at the Connect Guesthouse January 14th - 19th. The room had a balcony looking down onto all of the action along the main strip of the Paradise Complex. It was small but comfortable however the noise level was, for me anyway, quite unbearable. Soundproof glass really doesn't help much when the building is practically throbbing from the music at Kiss Club. Then when the street starts to wake up around 7am the noise from the steel roller doors going up at the shops had me awake.

The location was good for those who want to party all night, every night. The staff were all very friendly and the food at the cafe was excellent. The only thing that would keep me from staying there again was the noise. They do have rooms towards the back which may be quieter so if noise is a problem consider one of those.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I stayed 16 nights on my first visit to Thailand. The room felt like 1960's Cuba and the restaurant was brilliant. Fantastic staff and tremendous pricing! Nothing beats it for value, people watching potential and ambience ! It's close to all the action, and really gay in its culture. Loved it! One word of warning! ... all the nightclubs - and there are lots ramp up competing music from 10 pm to 3 am. I booked a top of the range room with double glass glazing and doors. However, the boom boom noice of the bass only in music got through ! Impossible to sleep! Hard work until I just slept from 6-10 pm ... Enjoyed people watching in restaurant 10-3 am and then back to bed 3 am to 11.30 am! Well worth changing your routine to stay at Connect! Location and restaurant can't be beaten.

• Stayed January 2012
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Hi All,

Having booked the Connect Guesthouse for a stay after the Christmas period.. we couldn't argue at the reasonable price of £200 (GBP) for an 8 night stay..

Having booked the holiday in the June of 2011 i had lost my original email confirmation of the room booking/details (as anyone could do..) I emailed the Guesthouse to re-confirm my booking/price/room etc before our arrival date... and i swear it took me about 2 weeks of constant emailing to finally get any sort of response.. which was quite worrying as i thought they might not have our booking and we would arrive in Phuket with no room to stay in.
I understand the language barrier and also the time difference, so i just put it down to that?

We arrived.. They had arranged a fab transfer from the airport to the guesthouse directly..saving us the hassle of bartering a taxi price (not knowing the currency properly)
The taxi driver was there with a sign waiting for us when we had collected our baggage from the airport.. so far so good...

nice and easy taxi ride..

When the taxi driver had dropped us off at the guesthouse... they seemed to have a problem finding our reservation (considering i had booked in June and asked for a confirmation email..) this worried me on the spot as again i thought "what do we do now if we have no room over the bust new year period"

After some arguments between staff they produced a room key and took us to our room...
Now i am sure (although i lost the original booking) that i had booked one of the main rooms at the guesthouse, one of the newly refurbished rooms (again all excited to drop the cases off and get out to explore the Patong area)

So it was quite a surprise to say the least..when the receptionist walked us out the guesthouse.. round a back side street and walked us completely round the corner to a laundry...
We were then ushered through the laundry to a wooden door.. opening the wooden door led us to a flight of stairs and (3 levels high) with around 5 rooms off the3 floors.
It seemed that we were to stay in what they call the "annex"....

now i know what an annex is.. and this was not connected to the main guesthouse at all.. we were in a completely different street above a laundry

We laughed a little but thought "we're here now.. just go with it.."

The view from the room was awful, we looked directly on to another hotel/sauna/guesthouse and with the lights on could see all the goings on of the hotel...we had no balcony, the window was 1 pane thick so we heard every noise imaginable, the constant shouting of
"massage.. you want a massage"
from the sauna's below (until 5am every morning)

Now i know we we're staying in the gay area, with all the bars etc.. but OMG the noise was unreal.. boom boom boom for hours and hours... PLUS we we're above the laundry (24hrs i might add) so every time a washing machine was in use (a lot..) the water pipes were whistling, the machines were vibrating when on spin.. it was as if we were staying in faulty towers (British Comedy Programme for you non-UK readers)

HERE"S THE PLUS SIDE

The room was cleaned everyday, fresh towels etc
breakfast was free every morning (not a massive breakfast but enough..)
and it was a FAB location for the bars/clubs/bangala road and Patong Beach only 5mins away

we never seen any french/swedish owners.. always a Thai working the computer or bar area?

but as previous guests have commented.. a 3 night stay maybe.. but no longer than that..

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank leewoods83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Patong Budget Rooms
Fong Kaew Mansion Guesthouse
Baan Paradise Hotel
Baan Paradise Hotel
#31 of 406 in Patong

Been to Connect Guesthouse? Share your experiences!