“Top stay”

The Viridian Resort
Ranked #142 of 337 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

Right on the main road and amongst the thick of the action, super quiet room (quite surprising), great service, friendly and helpful staff, excellent value for money. Good wifi. Needed a handy and quiet place to stay while having major dental work done and this place was ideal. Stayed five nights

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Tyretalk

Reviewed June 3, 2012

I spent 4 nights at the Viridian April 2012. I was pleasantly surprised. I had a room on the second floor overlooking the restaurant so not much privacy with the blinds open. The service at the hotel was fast. I had a problem with my shower head and they had it fixed in about five minutes. Same with requests for towels and an extra pillow. I found my room clean and tidy everyday. You can walk to the beach in about five to ten minutes and it is equally close to dozens of restaurants, bars and entertainment. Breakfast was included in my room and it was good. Buffet type and they prepared eggs or omelet for you. The pool was great to have for a quick dip. Could be cleaned more often but still good. Nice mix of people staying there. The safety deposit boxes are in a room by the reception desk a bit odd but it works. I think that this place shows a little age but is really good value. Clean, safe, everything worked. A good stay.

Room Tip: Back part of the hotel area more private.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Paulkvan
Reviewed May 2, 2012

close to everything, nice staff (polite and helpful), a/c is good
they must fight the rats which comes usually to drink from the pool water, more cleansing operation is required for the pool

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank greemile1980
Reviewed April 28, 2012

My sister & I went on vacation for 3D2N in Patong when we decided to book The Viridian Resort through a wide selection from Agoda.

The room we stayed was on the 1st level is isolated from the others, we had the peace & silence we needed from the crowd. The room is slightly worn-out & have fused bulbs here & there, however it did not bother us. Despite all that, it was still a comfortable stay for us.

We have been to Patong for more than 5 times & I must say, this resort is value for our money.

It's a 5mins walk to the famous Bangla Road where all night life goes wild. Not forgetting the great Jungceylon Shopping Mall where you can to shop-till-you-drop. Well we did! (:

If you ever need more site-seeing / travelling advises, do approach Pom at the concierge counter. She was so helpful that she reccommended so many shows & activities for us to go. (Though we couldnt make it for all). Pom really tells you things you can do, or even plan a rough itinerary for you.

Renting a motorcycle there range from 200 - 350baht for 24hours! It's either depositing cash or your passport upon rental.

Have fun people!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Melissa T
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Trip advisor & the web sites have not been upgraded! Therefore we finally found the old sea sun sand in a great central location (the reason we chose it) but it has been rebuilt right up the northern area of patong! Shuttle bus to get into central Patong. The property is so steep you need to be delivered to the top of the hill by a truck!! Reception rude about their change of address maybe an email would be a decent thing to do! Ok finally got to the room bed is so hard the floor is softer! Walls are so thin can hear the Neighbours cough etc etc! Our view is looking over the rubbish dump slum yards! Clean, ok breakfast pool looks nice music last night near pool v nice. But to leave here to get back to our car will be a real trek! Overall very diss appointed!! Don't follow this map it leads to no where near!!

• Stayed: March 2012
7  Thank Leonieacarr
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Rooms are dark, and mouldy. Swimming pool is large, but not very inviting for relaxing by it. It get's little ventilation, so very hot. Rooms are in need of upgrades. Breakfast nothing special. I guess for a few day's in Patong to experience the place, the hotel can do a good job. It offer's good value. Not idyllic in any way.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marknoordhof
Reviewed March 3, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel on my own (without family) for a bit of R&R, and the hotel serves its purpose. Very inexpensive, near a lot of watering holes and shops, and tons of places to eat. If you are looking for a solid place to stay and are on a budget, you can't go wrong with this hotel. I would not, however, bring young kids or children since it is very near a lot of massage places and women touting their services.

Booking
While it took a while to find it, I was able to book the hotel online at Agoda.com by doing a search on their new name “The Viridian Resort”. I could not find the hotel on other booking sites under their new name or their old name “Sun Sand Sea”. (Be careful using their old name in searches since it is also the name of a newer hotel.) You could also book directly on their website http://viridianphuket.com/, but I did not do so and am not sure of how reliable it is. In any case, I was able to book online and you have a choice of having breakfast included or not. For the $5 extra, I suggest the breakfast (see below details and attached photos). If not sure, you can always add it after you arrive for the same price.

Getting There
The hotel does not have pickup service and it takes around 45-55 minutes to get to the hotel by car from Phuket Airport. You can either try your luck at the airport (I believe there are something like 3 different car services there), but be sure to specify if you want a car for just you and your group or if you are open to sharing. I opted to book a car online through http://www.phuketshuttle.com/. You can pay by cash when you get their or through PayPal. The site is legit and the service was professional. The even give you a confirmation letter about your ride back (if you booked round-trip). (Be sure to leave about 3 hours before your flight is scheduled to take off—leaving Phuket through immigration can take a while due to the long lines).

Rooms & Facilities
The rooms are getting a bit "tired" and the manager says that they are renovating them in phases and will probably be finished this year. If that's the case, then this hotel will be a fantastic place to stay on the cheap since I cannot really find any other issues other than the rooms needing a facelift and the occasionally gecko scurrying across the walls.

Rooms have very powerful aircon which can be adjusted a bit to your desire. I could not hear any street noise at night from the room. The only “noises” I heard where the birds chirping in the morning and sometimes people walking upstairs. The toilet and shower are basic (I kept stubbing my toe on the step up from the toilet to the room though!), and they provide you with shampoo, soap, 2 free bottles of water a day (which I found to be enough), towels for your shower, and blue towels for the beach, which is about a 10 minute or so walk away. The only thing I found odd about the room is that there is no in-room safe. They have them at the front desk. The rooms have cable (satellite?) TV with tons of channels including news channels, channels in Russian/German/Italian, documentary channels, kids channels, sports channels, and so on—plenty to watch if you feel like staying indoors.

The hotel has wifi throughout the complex with fairly good throughput--I could watch Hulu video on my iPad with very little pixelation and I could video chat with my son without any issues. Be sure to bring a power strip if you want to charge your gadgets since there are not many outlets in the room. The pool is decent but looks a bit dirty but okay for an occasional dip. All rooms have a balcony where you can sit outside for some morning reading or have a cool drink. Be sure to bring some insect repellant, though, since there are a lot of plants around which attract mosquitos and gnats (I ended up with some bites on my legs which were small but irritating).

Dining
You can get a decent breakfast buffet for about US$5 at the restaurant -- they now have an egg station so you can get a freshly made omelet or whichever style you prefer. They also serve bacon, ham, toast, fresh fruits, fruit juices--all you can eat or drink (which is good if you've been out late the night before). I found the buffet fulfilling and good quality. You can also get dinner at the same dining area at night, but I would suggest going out to any of the many restaurants in the area. If you walk down to the beach, you will find some really nice restaurants at decent prices.

Staff
The staff overall are friendly and but many have a bit of trouble with English, but I didn't find that too troublesome. The maids make up the room each day and you can also get your clothes washed very cheaply.

Summary
In sum, the hotel is inexpensive but has all the basics for a budget holiday. Once they have the rooms renovated, I cannot see why anyone would want to stay anywhere else in Patong if you are on a budget.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
11  Thank tokyotony