“After a long day of traveling what a complete muck up!! Sea sun sand have moved!!”

The Viridian Resort
Ranked #126 of 331 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Trip advisor & the web sites have not been upgraded! Therefore we finally found the old sea sun sand in a great central location (the reason we chose it) but it has been rebuilt right up the northern area of patong! Shuttle bus to get into central Patong. The property is so steep you need to be delivered to the top of the hill by a truck!! Reception rude about their change of address maybe an email would be a decent thing to do! Ok finally got to the room bed is so hard the floor is softer! Walls are so thin can hear the Neighbours cough etc etc! Our view is looking over the rubbish dump slum yards! Clean, ok breakfast pool looks nice music last night near pool v nice. But to leave here to get back to our car will be a real trek! Overall very diss appointed!! Don't follow this map it leads to no where near!!

• Stayed: March 2012
7  Thank Leonieacarr

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Rooms are dark, and mouldy. Swimming pool is large, but not very inviting for relaxing by it. It get's little ventilation, so very hot. Rooms are in need of upgrades. Breakfast nothing special. I guess for a few day's in Patong to experience the place, the hotel can do a good job. It offer's good value. Not idyllic in any way.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marknoordhof
Reviewed March 3, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel on my own (without family) for a bit of R&R, and the hotel serves its purpose. Very inexpensive, near a lot of watering holes and shops, and tons of places to eat. If you are looking for a solid place to stay and are on a budget, you can't go wrong with this hotel. I would not, however, bring young kids or children since it is very near a lot of massage places and women touting their services.

Booking
While it took a while to find it, I was able to book the hotel online at Agoda.com by doing a search on their new name “The Viridian Resort”. I could not find the hotel on other booking sites under their new name or their old name “Sun Sand Sea”. (Be careful using their old name in searches since it is also the name of a newer hotel.) You could also book directly on their website http://viridianphuket.com/, but I did not do so and am not sure of how reliable it is. In any case, I was able to book online and you have a choice of having breakfast included or not. For the $5 extra, I suggest the breakfast (see below details and attached photos). If not sure, you can always add it after you arrive for the same price.

Getting There
The hotel does not have pickup service and it takes around 45-55 minutes to get to the hotel by car from Phuket Airport. You can either try your luck at the airport (I believe there are something like 3 different car services there), but be sure to specify if you want a car for just you and your group or if you are open to sharing. I opted to book a car online through http://www.phuketshuttle.com/. You can pay by cash when you get their or through PayPal. The site is legit and the service was professional. The even give you a confirmation letter about your ride back (if you booked round-trip). (Be sure to leave about 3 hours before your flight is scheduled to take off—leaving Phuket through immigration can take a while due to the long lines).

Rooms & Facilities
The rooms are getting a bit "tired" and the manager says that they are renovating them in phases and will probably be finished this year. If that's the case, then this hotel will be a fantastic place to stay on the cheap since I cannot really find any other issues other than the rooms needing a facelift and the occasionally gecko scurrying across the walls.

Rooms have very powerful aircon which can be adjusted a bit to your desire. I could not hear any street noise at night from the room. The only “noises” I heard where the birds chirping in the morning and sometimes people walking upstairs. The toilet and shower are basic (I kept stubbing my toe on the step up from the toilet to the room though!), and they provide you with shampoo, soap, 2 free bottles of water a day (which I found to be enough), towels for your shower, and blue towels for the beach, which is about a 10 minute or so walk away. The only thing I found odd about the room is that there is no in-room safe. They have them at the front desk. The rooms have cable (satellite?) TV with tons of channels including news channels, channels in Russian/German/Italian, documentary channels, kids channels, sports channels, and so on—plenty to watch if you feel like staying indoors.

The hotel has wifi throughout the complex with fairly good throughput--I could watch Hulu video on my iPad with very little pixelation and I could video chat with my son without any issues. Be sure to bring a power strip if you want to charge your gadgets since there are not many outlets in the room. The pool is decent but looks a bit dirty but okay for an occasional dip. All rooms have a balcony where you can sit outside for some morning reading or have a cool drink. Be sure to bring some insect repellant, though, since there are a lot of plants around which attract mosquitos and gnats (I ended up with some bites on my legs which were small but irritating).

Dining
You can get a decent breakfast buffet for about US$5 at the restaurant -- they now have an egg station so you can get a freshly made omelet or whichever style you prefer. They also serve bacon, ham, toast, fresh fruits, fruit juices--all you can eat or drink (which is good if you've been out late the night before). I found the buffet fulfilling and good quality. You can also get dinner at the same dining area at night, but I would suggest going out to any of the many restaurants in the area. If you walk down to the beach, you will find some really nice restaurants at decent prices.

Staff
The staff overall are friendly and but many have a bit of trouble with English, but I didn't find that too troublesome. The maids make up the room each day and you can also get your clothes washed very cheaply.

Summary
In sum, the hotel is inexpensive but has all the basics for a budget holiday. Once they have the rooms renovated, I cannot see why anyone would want to stay anywhere else in Patong if you are on a budget.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
11  Thank tokyotony
Reviewed January 11, 2012

In the heart of Patong, still quiet. The best value for money I could find. Nice swimming pool, good service, and decent rooms with a nice balcony.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Raphael_Goncalves
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I am a bit late putting this on but after reading some of the reviews I thought I had too. Wife and I stayed in sept. and loved it. To start we used there taxi transfer from air port, good driver. No problems with check in , porter carried our bags to room, ground floor close to pool, this is what we asked for. Used their lockers to put pasports, money, tickets etc. in, Not like the person who said she had her purse stolen while she was out. She should of used free lockers. Breakfast was ample. We only had one dinner there it was on a special night. Their cocktails at under $3 Aus were out of this world. I never drink them at home and after 6 my wife had to help me the 10 metres to our room. We loved the pool, and the beach chairs surrounding it.
Hotel is close to everything, entertainment in Bangla road, shopping malls and markets. Got the same driver to take us back to Air Port. Hope to stay there this year. 100 channels on tv is alot more than we get at home even though a lot are not in English what do people expect . Tops for the price.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Hervey
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed in this hotel in March, 2011 for a bit more than a week. Our room was on the ground floor, almost facing the pool, with small patio. It was quite convenient as it took only several steps to get to the pool. But on the other hand there is little privacy cos even in the day with no lights on u have to close curtains if u wanna change and so on. So perhaps room on the 2nd floor would be better. But we didn't bother, the pool was more important to us.
Breakfasts were nice, quite a lot of variety for both who prefer meat, eggs and for those who prefer pastry, flakes&youghurt for breakfast. There were fruits and of cos delicious Thai pineapple every day.

The swimming pool was clean but not so big so it's just an option for a rainy afternoon or when u r lazy to walk to the beach. The hotel territory is covered in plants, bushes&trees in bloom so it makes a nice impression though u know outside there is a busy street with traffic and lots of street-vendors selling all kinda stuff. Exchange office is right outside the hotel. 7/11 and everything u may need is in 5-10 mins walk distance. Hotel is on the 2nd line form the beach but is a bit far because there is no direct road and it can take 10-15 mins depending on how fast u r and how persistent sellers or massage girls can be.
Room itself was basic, a bit dirty. Sink was covered with stains of nailpolish. Toiletries provided. If u happen to leave sth edible especially sweet in the room there come ants.
At the check out it turned out that one small glass holder or however it's called (a small plate the glass is staying on) disappeared from our room though we didn't take it outside for sure. Had to pay small fee for that. Didn't have time to argue as we could miss the flight so it left a bit unpleasant impression.

Safe boxes are all in one room next to check-in desk cos they had problems with that 2 or 3 years earlier (check the oldest reviews).
In general, hotel is basic, could be cleaner, staff could be more hospitable as it's Thailand and u expect them at least to smile more often. if you rnt too picky, it's fine. Especially if to book with discount.

По-русски: средненький отель, из плюсов хороший завтрак и зелень вокруг бассейна, почти полное соответствие цена-качество если брать со скидкой по акции. Мог бы быть почище и персонал поприветливей.

Room Tip: Rooms on 2nd floor with balcony should be better if u need privacy more than pool in 5 steps away fo...
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marishka13V
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I stayed here with friends in October 2011, the staff were rude, unhelpful and in my opinion, very lax in their security. After a night out, (no drinking) I returned to my room and when i checked my bag my purse had been stolen while I was out, management were not helpful despite have CCTV outside the rooms and did not care that I had possessions stolen. The local police thought it was a big joke and just laughed when I told them about the theft from the room, it left a nasty impression of this hotel.

Room Tip: get a room with a good safe
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends