“The Banthai is a fantastic choice- Hobart Tasmania Australia”

Banthai Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #23 of 337 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed September 9, 2007

We stayed at the Banthai in late August - early September for 7 nights. It was a fantastic hotel and we were not disappointed.

We arrived at the hotel at midnight and was ushered immediately to our room. Our room was in the 3rd wing on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool. All rooms overlook the pool. When we woke the following morning we asked if we could pay extra to be upgraded to a ground floor room where you can walk out your room and into the pool but they were booked out. After a couple of days we were glad this was the case because it probably wouldn't be worth the extra money when the lift takes you right to the pool anyway.

We got breakfast included in the price and it was delicious. We didn't need a meal until dinner time then. They even have a shuttle that takes you to the breakfast room even though it is not far at all to get there.

The staff are amazing. They always want to know what you have done or what you are doing today. The pool bar is also fantastic. Try a banana milkshake they are super.

The mini bar prices were unbelievably cheap and you get 2 bottles of water for free each day.

The Port bar at the front of the hotel would have to be the best entertainment in Patong. You can't hear it from your room so don't worry but you can sometimes hear it from your balcony.

The bed was hard but we have found all beds are hard in Thailand.

The Banthai was fabulous and we would definately stay here again and recommend it to all of our friends.

3  Thank Kathlind
Write a ReviewReviews (2,338)

Reviewed August 30, 2007

My boyfriend and I returned from Thailand in April... sorry for the late response although better late than never. We frequently checked this website prior to leaving to make sure we had made the right decision...we couldn't have been happier. To all the people that complain about the slightest problems like waiting in line to be served or a bed being hard as a rock.. you are just too high maintenance and not the only people in the hotel.. this hotel caters for a range of people.

Firstly, The room was absolutely perfect.. not too big nor small, had all the necessities including more like- mini detergent pack, soap, condition etc..which was replace every morning when the room was being cleaned. The cleaning ladies are the sweetest people on earth and i recommend giving a small tip to say thank you as they very much appreciate it. I saw no site of mold in the bathtubs...

The pool- there is 3 different pools which everybody has access to all 3 of them. Me and my boyfriend were unaware if we had access to all of them or just the one which our room faced. The pools are always cleaned in the morning and night. Although, one disappointment is that the pools are not open till very late... as i recall i think 6 or 8pm, however they do open early.

The breakfast- it caters for all types... I am a very fussy eater and I always left breakfast with a full stomach. They have everything from eggs to croissants, noodles, cereal and fruit.

Room service/ Bar food- not a very wide range of food although it has the essential meal types- burgers, pasta, noodles, chips and salads.

The staff are absolutely inviting into their hotel.. remember to tip the bag boys when they are delivering your bag to and from your room on arrival and departure as me and my boyfriend were unaware and we felt quite silly after and made the boy quite embarrassed for just standing there. The Spanakarn Spa is divine.. a little over priced but well worth it... the ladies make u feel comfortable and give a fantastic massage. The gym is quite compact for the little room it is and allows for a great workout!

Previous to coming we heard reviews say about the noise on the street- I can say that we had the room closest to the main road and we heard nothing unless your sitting on your balcony.. most noise if any comes from the Port which has a live band playing every night- this is a must visit as the bands sound awesome which finishes at 2pm latest.

The streets- the locals tend to bug you to visit there shops, at first you feel bad about saying No but don't as you are not the first to say it, firmly say NO and they will leave you alone. The dressmakers/tailors are the worst but just ignore.

Overall I can say that I have no regret about choosing this hotel and I know if you were to choose it, you would feel the same. I am expecting to return in the next 6 to 12 months and I will 100% be staying at the Banthai Beach.

4  Thank brigitte_s
Reviewed August 29, 2007

Well we rocked up to be told there was water problems and could we go to another hotel but this scam had going on all day with other guests so we put our foot down and were given aroom two hours later !.We had read about this scam on another preview before departing Aus and contacted Travel Agent who confirmed with wholesaler that room was confirmed twice.As we now know that made no diffrence.Other then that the beds were to hard also.The food was great and the location was also excellent.

7  Thank FredPerthWA
Reviewed August 27, 2007

Timing of stay:
August 17th to August 27th 2007.

General:
Before choosing the BanThai I conducted a considerable amount of online research of hotel websites and reviews as posted on various forums and finally settled on the BanThai because firstly, it seemed to have the highest quantity of positive reviews and secondly, it had a professional looking website.

When I ultimately got there I discovered that the hotel is physically smaller than what it appeared to be when looking at its web site as none of the photographs included much that can give the viewer a sense of scale. This of course is normal in any advertising material but my initial impression upon getting out of the taxi was one of slight disappointment.

The layout consists of three pairs of two parallel wings of rooms, each of four floors, with each pair of wings flanking its own central swimming pool.
Two of the wings are parallel to the main foyer and one, the one my wife and I stayed in, is separated off at right angles on its own and is possibly a later addition to the main building.
Several other reviews that I have read said that there are no elevators but this is mistaken as there is a pair of elevators servicing each of the three wings although they are only at one end of the elongated floors.

Staff:
Some reviews I read before going to the BanThai have commented on the rudeness and incompetence of the staff while others commented on how friendly and helpful they were which seemed to be a common theme with all hotel reviews.

I can only say that when I had cause to interact with the staff they were all extremely helpful and appeared to be genuinely happy to be so. Most however spoke limited English and some, like one of the bell boys for example, spoke absolutely no English but I managed to get my point across anyway (I am of Scottish birth and some would challenge my claim to speak English in any form but I have worked in multiple third world countries for several decades so I am probably more used to this situation than the average holiday maker).
We should also remember that English is a very difficult language for Thais to grasp, it is not generally taught in their schools, and it is only one of many languages that will be spoken by hotel guests from many countries so we shouldn’t expect general staff to be too competent in the English department.

Rooms:
The BanThai website lists both Deluxe rooms and Deluxe Pool Rooms so when I booked I requested a Deluxe room on the top floor (better for privacy and no noise from above as some reviews warned about) but when we arrived we were placed in one of the Deluxe Pool rooms which opens out onto the pool and the receptionist told me that the there were no Deluxe rooms on other levels. Perhaps something was lost in the translation but I didn’t pursue it as she told me that all of the other rooms were fully booked.

Although I was initially concerned about the lack of privacy at pool level I quickly realized that this could be a problem on any of the levels as the building wings are parallel and relatively close together so every room has several other rooms directly or indirectly across from it (Residents of inner city apartments would be familiar with the problem).

However the rooms all have sliding plantation type louvre shutters so it was actually easy to maintain privacy within the room if necessary and still have natural light in the daytime.
Each of the deluxe rooms on the ground floor of the two main wings has a verandah which opens out into an individual jacuzzi area which then opens out into the main pool. In the separate wing where we stayed the rooms only have a verandah and the pool has two communal but larger jacuzzi areas.

The seating on the ground floor verandahs is a classic case of being designed for appearance and not functionality. The seat rear cushions are rigid and triangular in shape (the seats are all vinyl) and are not fixed in place so they naturally slide backwards due to the wedge effect if anyone leans on them and they continue to slide until they jam up against the verandah door. If the door is open then you end up flat on your back with the cushion on the floor. My wife had to revert to piling up bed pillows to be able to sit on these chairs while I found it more comfortable just to sit on the bed (if I could retain some pillows).

The other floors have conventional design slatted wooden director type seats without cushions so they would also be uncomfortable for anything more than a short period of time. (The main hotel foyer seating, which have no backrests, was even worse so perhaps the hotel owners should consider that people generally go on holiday to indulge in a little luxury rather than a minimalist experience that they could emulate by sitting on a milk crate in their garage at home).

Our room was very clean upon initial occupation but after several days it became clear that only cursory cleaning is done while the rooms are occupied so sand on the floor stayed on the floor etc. The bed sheets were also not changed during our ten days there.

Other reviews that I have read commented on the mildew in the bathroom tiles and this was observably true with our room but, apart from a lax cleaning regime, this is a product of high humidity, heat and poor quality porous tiling grout that, in my experience, is common throughout Asia.

Other reviews also commented on the noise penetration from other rooms and this was certainly the case in the ground floor rooms. Some nights were spent virtually sleepless as revelers returned from the late night/early morning bars and continued reveling in their rooms.
Noise penetration is not uncommon in hotels but this hotel is one of the worst I have ever experienced and it is exacerbated by the room doors having a stiff latching mechanism that requires a greater than normal amount of force to close which makes it impossible to do so without slamming the door.

The Deluxe rooms come with complimentary wireless internet access which is just as well as the normal charge is about $20 per hour which is a bit much considering that a lot of the bars and cafes around Patong offer free wi-fi coonnections. The internet can be accessed on the TV via a cordless keyboard arrangement but the TV screen resolution is not suitable for this so I ended up using my laptop.

The TV service itself is pretty limited. There are thirteen channels in all with only four in English (BBC, Discovery, HBO and ESPN) and the rest in various Asian languages but although this is a holiday hotel and the purists may say that we shouldn’t be inside watching TV etc. etc. most people don’t want to go out every single night and day so in an era when cable TV networks with more than 100 channels are common this is a poor service.
Note that the keyboard operated system is complicated and fickle and you should get the tech people to come and explain the operation of it to you as most of the functions are illogical if you are used to Windows based systems.
For most of our stay the TV and interactive system did not work (broadcasts often seize for hours or are broken up/pixellated) and in the end I got weary of calling for someone to fix it, although they did so without complaint when I did, so I just went without for the last few days.

The bed was comfortable enough for my tastes but I did overhear other guests complaining that their beds were very hard and other reviews also said the same thing so possibly the deluxe rooms have better beds although it should be noted that this is a western interpretation of ‘better’ as Asians traditionally favour thin firm mattresses and for them thin and firm would be ‘better’.

One surprising thing to note about the rooms is that this is the only hotel in the world I have ever stayed, and I’ve stayed in a lot, where the beer in the mini-bar is the cheapest beer in town. A can of Singha was 40 Baht whereas it was 60 Baht from the beach vendors and 50 Baht in most of the roadside bars. Petty there was only two each day.

Swimming pools:
The paved area around the swimming pools (which are only 1.2 metres deep which is good for parents with small children but disappoints some adults) is very limited and in our wing I counted eighteen sun beds while there are sixty four rooms in the wing which means that only the early birds will ever get to use one (the ones who put towels on the seats hours before breakfast then go to the beach).
There is simply not enough area between the sun beds even to lie down on a towel so this is definitely not a hotel for those who would rather stay by the pool than go to the beach.

Also because the buildings are close together much of the pool surrounds are in shadow for most of the day. Most of the verandahs get limited sun and some of them never get any sun at any time due to the peculiar building layout where the suite rooms jut out into the pool area between the standard wings.

For some strange reason the jacuzzi areas in the separate wing have been constructed in a reclining ‘S’ shape, unlike the other wings where they are in the more conventional seated format, and the water level is no more than four inches deep at the deepest part so only the bottom half of your body is submerged while the upper half is exposed to the heat and the sun. This makes them effectively useless and I never observed anyone using them beyond a first trial just as I did.

These jacuzzis also run all day, unlike the other wings where they are controlled individually and the noise ultimately became slightly annoying, particularly for those of us sitting on the ground floor verandahs.

The three pools themselves seem to be well maintained and clean but the pebblecrete lining and surrounds are certainly showing their age with discolouration and cracking visible in many areas.

The Plaza:

The claim of having a “Plaza” is certainly a case of stretching credibility. Almost all of the outlets listed in the ‘Plaza On-site Facilities’ in the BanThai website are not on-site but are outside of the hotel security gate, are indistinguishable from the hundreds of other small businesses that operate on the main strip and are fully accessible to the public. They all appear to be independently operated and none of them allow you to charge anything to your hotel room account.

When we tried to go to the Coyotes Mexican restaurant on the last Saturday night that we were there it was actually closed to the public, and the Banthai guests of course, for a private party so it can hardly be marketed as a hotel facility.

The bars:

Both the Port and Starboard bars are simply mirror images of each other on the opposite sides of the hotel access road. Both are open-air rectangular shaped bars of very basic brick wall and marble top construction which front directly onto the main road, outside of the hotel area, and are fully accessible to non-residents who would have no idea that they are part of the Banthai.

The Flybridge Bar is simply a small bar at the side of the open-air Port Restaurant which also fronts onto the main road and is fully accessible to the public.
There are actually no bars where BanThai guests could choose to sit in air conditioned and private comfort and have a quiet drink.

Restaurants:

We ate one night at the Flavors restaurant and the meals were both very good and reasonably priced by my reference of Sydney standards so no problems there except as previously mentioned I could not charge the cost to my room account.

The breakfasts had a reasonable, but not exceptional, choice of offerings with a fairly even split between Asian and western foods. As some other reviews have mentioned there always seemed to be an unnecessarily long queue at the egg counter because there was usually only one cook at work and a lot of people waiting. I only managed to get one omelet during my stay as I didn’t want to stand in a queue for twenty minutes but perhaps I should be less impatient when I am on holiday.

The food on offer can only be considered to be standard basic hotel or motel fare, warm rather than hot, and was adequate to fuel the fires for the day ahead but I have seen better in cheaper hotels in other locations in Asia.

Conclusion:
I must say that I have spent a considerable amount of my life in Asian hotels and have probably spent an average of more than three of the last four years in hotels in the region rather than my (theoretical) home in Sydney so I like to think that I have a reasonable experience of what is what in terms of hotels.

In this case I booked through a Thai hotels website so I paid considerably less than I would have paid if I had booked online directly through the Banthai website so I can say that at the price I paid the Banthai was reasonable value for money but if I had paid the Banthai rack price I would certainly have felt rather cheated.

There are many hotels in the Patong Beach area and the Banthai is one of the most expensive which it would appear to justify by its location rather than by the excellence of its facilities but I have now realized that all of the available hotels are within a reasonable walking distance of the main action, assuming that you consider the beer bars of Bangla Road to be the action, so it is not much of a justification.

Perhaps the many other hotels on offer are no better or even worse but in the unlikely event that I should ever return to Patong beach I would certainly tick off the BanThai on my “Been there; done that” list and try one of the others.

Stayed: August 2007
31  Thank John_from_Oz
Reviewed August 23, 2007

had a ball. had a deluxe room, loved the day spa too. Everyone i met there commented on how great the breakfast was and the guy who cooks the eggs in the morning was funny.

Very central location in Patong. I cant say enough about this. Totally enjoyed my Phuket experience. Swimming and enjoying the fun in the pool with everyone else was great.

Staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
5  Thank Deano_MSydney
Reviewed August 18, 2007

i book this hotel by hotelclub they did not give me the room and
send me to another hotel when they iie and say that the hotel have a problem with the water system
aithough the hotel was over booking and full of gust.

• Stayed: August 2007
6  Thank bushiLehavim
Reviewed August 17, 2007

One word "PERECT".. We arrived at 10 am (check in is 2 pm) they were very busy the resort was full... they had lots of staff... everyone was attended to.. we got our room within 10 minutes it was great... You get vouchers for free drinks at Molly Malones and at pool bar and discounts for massages etc.

Very friendly and helpful... our room was immaculate everyday... bottled water everyday to your room... Buffet Breakfast wonderful something for everyone... and really nice atmosphere...and 3 pools which are so clean...

I would highly recommend this place... we walked everywhere it is in the centre of everything yet away from the noise of the main beach road... it was fantastic... made our holiday perfect...

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family