“Terrific!”

Ranked #26 of 321 Hotels in Patong
Singapore, Singapore
“Terrific!”
Reviewed September 20, 2006

This resort really worth every cents, in fact, it seems too good to be true with this price. Other hotels with similar price that my travel agents quote are simply uncomparable. I love the fact that it is in the middle of Patong Beach, one road away from the sea. The hotel staff were all very friendly, they even left us a good-night note with orchids on our pillow while delivering our new towels when we were out for dinner. Really thoughtful of them, it feels so comfortable, doesn't feel like a hotel, more of a service apartment feeling. Upon returning to Singapore, i called up my agents and tell her what a nice hotel it is and even show her some pictures that i took. Would recommend it to every one.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — No in-house movie/videos,
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring more sunblock
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank peanuttoe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 15, 2006

I chose to stay here over the Novotel because it was rated number 6 on the Trip Advisor list at the time I booked it. Novotel was lower. Just goes to show you how the numbers will fluctuate. In retrospect I wish I had stayed at the Novotel because it is on the outskirts of Patong, as opposed to Banthai which is dead center in the middle of it. You cannot beat its location if you want to be close to all the action. What I mean by action is shopping, massage, restaurants, beach, bars, etc. If you want a quiet get away, this is not the place to stay, although once in the hotel area, and by the pool (which is gorgeous), you do feel like you have escaped the craziness. I would easily go back to Phuket but not stay in Patong for 6 nights which I did in August.

• Liked — The pool, the buffet breakfast, the comfortable room
  • Disliked — The strength of the drinks were weak
  • Tips/Secrets — Consider if you want to be on the busy main beach street or further out
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
8 Thank gilead
Sydney
Reviewed September 3, 2006

Patong beach is fabulous! hotel is very new and clean, rooms are clean (infact they cleaned ours twice a day for the wk we were there), pools are beautiful, staff are lovely, breakfast is the best ever (egg man makes the best omlettes!), great value for money!!!! highly recommend!!!

• Liked — everything!!
  • Disliked — cant think of anything really?
  • Tips/Secrets — great hotel, i highly recommend and am going back their soon!
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled with friends
11 Thank Slk918
Corner of Earth
Reviewed August 30, 2006

I was trying to find a reasonably priced hotel/resort in Patong and booked Banthai after reading fabulous reviews about it in TA. When I book it was rated within the top 10 or 15. After booking however, it's rating slipped tremendously due to many complaints and naturally I was worried. The feedback about the noise is especially worrying as I have a tiny tot with me.

After staying there from a Thursday night to Sunday (that's the weekend and the pub should be at it's noisiest) this is my experience:

Noise: I was allotted a 4th floor room facing the beach and pool, on the left side of the receptionists. The pub 'Port' is on the front and right side of the hotel and you would need to walk out of the main hotel block, go past a driveway and their cafe before reaching the open-air pub area. The pub itself is really loud but I hear not a whimper in my room, even when my balcony window was open. Those who complained may have stayed at the right-hand side of the hotel and closer to the main road. Ask for one facing the beach and left side of the hotel and I think the noise should be non-existent.

Cafe: It is air-conditioned but as the drop-floor windows are left open for a more relaxed feel surjoining the terrace, it is not very cooling. However, when I was there very early one morning it is a little chilly. The heat starts to come when it hits about 9am. But that is due to the sun. I like the terrace and it is actually quite soothing when the falling waters is tuned to low and the noise is softer. The food is alright considering the room price. But one will probably get bored after one day. But I don't think it's really bad. Just not that great.

Bathroom: small and sink is located outside the bathroom. I suspect the shower hose did not have it's outermost showerhead attached. It is a Grohe and no Grohes come in that design. The water is real dirty looking. But i come to accept that Phuket water is like that - this is my 3rd trip to Phuket and it happened to all the hotels I stayed in.

Service - Not friendly but I did not get much friendly service at all anywhere during my weeklong stay in Phuket. Even when I moved to a top resort reputed for its service after the stay at Banthai, the service was not significantly better. Better, maybe, but not a lot. The room price is, though.

Facilities: I only realised that the kettle made the water smells like ciggy and that was after making milk with it for my little one for about 5 rouunds! Really upsetting but upon request to change another, it was replaced immediately and everything was fine after. We also needed to use the net and was directed to a 'internet cafe' that was quite cheap. One inconvenience is that pool towels are placed in the room and you need to bring it down.

Is Banthai top-class? No. But for the price per night, it is extremely good value for money. It looks new and design is modern. The location is great if you want to be in Patong. If the showerhead is fixed and sink is in the bathroom I'll probably up another star. will I stay there again? Yes of course as long as the price remains. You can't pay this kind of price and expect a Sheraton. But if you do some research about hotels in phuket, you'll realise this is a lot better than some similar classed hotels in Patong. I would like the service to be better, but that applies to the whole of the service industry I guess. The generally feeling is they are having 'tourist fatigue'. The charm I experienced more than a decade ago has largely disappeared.

• Liked — The price and relative 'newness'.
  • Disliked — The bathroom and unclean balcony window
  • Tips/Secrets — choose a sea facing room on the left of the reception.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank Smelltheflower
london
Reviewed August 29, 2006

We spent 3 nights at Banthai beach and were delighted with the hotel and its services. The room was lovely, brand new and the pool was fantastic. It was definetely the best value for money hotel we stayed in during our 3 week stay in Thailand at 20 GBP per night including breakfast. The problem is that Patong beach is not a great place to stay. We would definetely come back to this hotel if is wasn't in this location

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — location
  • Tips/Secrets — have dinner at the holiday inn down the road...the have a seafood buffet for about 700THB
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple