“Food was good but Manager ignorant/rude”

The Blue Mango Bar and Grill
Ranked #17 of 583 Restaurants in Patong
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Please follow the directions on how to get to us on our website. Please tell your driver that we are next door (before) to the Merlin Beach Resort.Blue Mango Bar & Grill offers a quality Thai and Mediterranean dining experience in a quiet location away from hustle and bustle of Patong Beach. When giving directions to your driver, please mention we are located in the Twin Sands Resort, just before the Merlin Beach hotel. We provide courtesy pickup service for prior dinner reservations between 6pm and 9pm within the Patong area.Opening Hours: Monday - Sunday 7:30am - 10:30pmPlease check our Facebook page for regular event updates - search for Blue Mango Restaurant in Patong.
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We ate lunch there and were in a window seat looking over the view. A Russian speaking Absolute salesman and two Russian people stood over us while we ate and peered out the window. Not even an acknowledgement or a smile or a sorry. RUDE. Then manager was asked by nice friendly male waiter to assist with a cash register issue. I said hello to the (Caucasian) manager who completely ignored and snubbed me. RUDE. We were so offended that despite staying at Twin Sands Resort, we decided not to eat there again no matter how good the food was reported to be.

4  Thank p c
Andrea K, Guest Relations Manager at The Blue Mango Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear M_Tucson 69

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review about our establishment and we are very sorry to hear about your experience. On the first point we have no direct control over outside sales personel and their clients, however we have passed on the comments to the senior Management of Absolute. What we are endeavoring to do is to prevent any "walk-arounds" from stopping within the restaurant, just merely pass through for a look without interrupting the enjoyment of our patrons.

Secondly, we are very surprised to hear about the attitude of our Manager. At the moment we have outside contractors finalising the installation of our POS system and this might have been the individual, however, this does not excuse the attitude you experienced, and also we also cannot be 100% sure this was the individual. We can only state that this is an unusual review for us given the positive feedback about our Management and waiting staff in the past both verbally and on the TripAdvisor. We are, as a result of your feedback, actively telling any contractors working in the restaurant to be friendly and polite, and in addition we have made all of our staff aware of your review and re-emphasized our expectations of their relationship with our customers.

Despite your dining experience, we hope that you have enjoyed your stay in Phuket and that in the future, if you return, you will visit our restaurant and receive the courtesies you expect. We are positive that this truly was a one off occasion for us and we thank you for your comments as it helps us to constantly improve our standards.

Best Wishes

There are newer reviews for The Blue Mango Bar and Grill

Reviewed June 1, 2013

During our stay in Phuket, we had food here twice, which speaks for itself. They make some excellent cocktails and the atmosphere is very lively and cool.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Found this restaurant on trip advisor the food was lovely service great prices were very good. Even received a complimentary glass of wine for the trouble we had getting to this restaurant.

Andrea K, Guest Relations Manager at The Blue Mango Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Bflygirl

Thank you very much for your visit and for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed your dinner. Our aim is our customer's satisfaction, so we are more than happy to offer our clients a little bit extra to make their evening more special. We hope you will come visit us again soon!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The compulsion to write this review emerges because it is the second time after eating in this restaurant I have awoken the next morning wanting to immediately eat what I had at dinner the night before. That is a stellar marker of an exceptional eating experience. These people are seriously putting it on the map of excellent eateries. It is friendly, not pretentious and the food is five star with interesting angles at a moderate price. It is just on the cards that if they continue as they have begun they will be overbooked. I have eaten in this restaurant now five times; The first two I was taken by different friends who don’t even know one another and the last three I have taken friends visiting from Australia and Canada. Every single time every single person has raved and wanted to return and it would be fair to say have eaten more than their natural habit and enjoyed every morsel. We have all shared and had just the best evenings out. The pace and rhythm of the meal is Mediterranean non rushed. I don’t take the time to write anything about restaurants unless it is very very exemplary and memorable…or alternatively very bad.

Each time the experience of eating in the Blue Mango has been memorable . My curiosity been engaged and I have discovered utterly new combinations of flavours which I have really enjoyed..and I dare say I think about it long after the completion of the meal. Of note the service has been delivered consistently with a lovely care; helpful, attentive and not invasive. The restaurant manager, who I now know is a man named Claudio, a naturally affable and very knowledgeable man who I see connect with people from virtually every culture… and the team of chefs Thai, Italian and British. These people are building something really great and with evident consciousness around food (in this case cuisine), and flavours with novel synergy. For example one of the Chefs, Davide, who I had to meet after eating his hand made pumkin tortelloni with a fondu sauce….honestly it is one of the BEST things I have ever eaten. I still think about it and yearn for it as I write this. The serving was ample and I didn’t want it to be finished.
No exaggeration. Davide told me it is his mother’s recipe and he spoke with uncensored enthusiasm about eating it voraciously as a young boy. It remains one of his favourite things. You see if they all do that you wind up with a jewel in the sphere of eating establishments. He also makes traditional focaccia with rosemary, crisp and beyond “more-ish” re-invoking memories of wonderful eating when I lived in Italy. You cannot say no to either one of these experiences. The executive chef Antonio makes this authentic fish soup which is a really old family recipe that I have heard several people rave about.
They also have these “grass fed” steaks, clearly not my thing but my friends have spoken very highly about the quality of the meat. They took a Thai chicken dish and turned it vegetarian with aplomb and not an ounce of negative fuss and I could recommend it without batting an eye. They don’t scrimp to save and the quality.
Another thing that seems important…The Thai chefs I understand have also worked abroad so they have a large range of authentic Thai dishes and crucially when I say I don’t want it “hot” they do actually comply with my wishes. I have lived here in Thailand for the past five years and this is a rarity. Nobody seems to understand what “not hot” actually means, and their idea of delicious is “hot”…so that can make problems for me in so many places. It is a restaurant where the staff actually listens and responds in a way that corresponds with the wish.
One last thing: usually I try and refrain from deserts because I don’t want to get more round. My friends suffer from no similar form of self restraint so I have, with the gift of an extra spoon and the generosity of my friends, had the good fortune to sample almost all of the deserts on the menu. Whatever you do don’t pick this as the night to diet. That would be folie/madness. The pannacotta with raspberry or passion fruit coulis is literally to die for. You finish one and want another even though you are full. No exaggeration, again. The apple tart, well it is completely different, freshly home made…they have the pastry down to a fine art, light and not gluggy, and again the chorus: sorry my food finished.

Lastly and crucially, these people strike me as striving for the higher experience of food and they are very awake to the process in all its’ aspects. The menu has been consistently refined since the restaurant opened and these refinements have been connected to feedback from people like us. They seem to discern what brings joy, sensuousness and good memory and delete what brings less pleasure. In the time I have visited it has improved again and again. It is a very “happening” place and it is all good. I know the above to be true. Enjoy. Life is Goood.

Dear Lizois

Thank you very much for your amazing review and for your continuing support. Thanks to the reviews like yours we know that we are doing the right job and that we offer our customers an exceptional dining experience. We listen to the requests and comments of our customers and we try to act upon them as best as we can.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Went to Blue Mango for my 28th Birthday while I was in phuket.

Restaurant has a nice atmosphere and open kitchen. I missed the view as we arrived when it was already dark. Menu had a good selection of food with variety. I loved the complementary bread as it came with some special pastry.

Our drinks came quickly, however one of the ciders ordered was flat and had no air. The manager changed it without issue for a coke instead. We ordered for entree the Ribs to share and a salad. The ribs were amazing and huge. Loved it.

Mains we ordered were fish, pork and burger dishes. Fish and pork were nice. However, the burger was very very dry and overcooked. We should have mentioned something to the manager at the time.

The staff were very friendly and funny. One girl asked us if we wanted dessert before our mains arrived which gave us a giggle.

1  Thank Kennyw507
Andrea K, Guest Relations Manager at The Blue Mango Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Kennyw507

Thank you for choosing the Blue Mango Bar and Grill to celebrate your birthday - we feel very honored, and thank you for taking time to write a review.

What a shame you have not managed to see the sunset from our bar, it is simply stunning! Apart from the fantastic view, we strive to provide a great customer service, and there is no issue for us if customers have a problem with their order. We sincerely apologise for the overcooked burger, we would have been more than happy to cook you a new one to your specifications, if we were made aware about it.However, we are glad that you have enjoyed the rest of your dishes and that despite a little mishap on our waitresses side, you appreciated her nonetheless.

We would love to welcome you back if you returned to Phuket island in the future.

Best wishes