“Great hotel for the price”

Phuket Paradise Hotel
Phuket Paradise Hotel
Ranked #215 of 406 Patong B&B and Inns
Nanning, China
“Great hotel for the price”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. The hotel was very clean, the staff was extremely friendly and Louis was very helpful. It was a nice location for accessibility to most things in Patong but at the same time very quiet and peaceful. I got in late but my first morning coming downstairs Louis asked if I had a map and very clearly showed where we were on the map and things that might interest me. I actually sat down and talked with him for a bit and he's been in Asia for 15+ years and has a good understanding of the differences between Western and Asian culture so it's worth getting some advice from him. I read another review on here commenting on the bad Wifi, Louis told me that he actually pays for the best, but everyone please remember you are visiting a developing country, not your plush western standards, things happen outside of the hotel's control. So sit back, relax and enjoy this hotel's friendly atmosphere and good, clean service.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Emily_Lyn427
Louis L, Owner at Phuket Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Emily,

Thanks for your kind words.

Yes, people often forget they are in a lesser developed country than they come from. infrastructure issues such as roads, power, and wife and sometimes less than desirable. We do pay for the fastest package available, but sometimes the WiFi is lousy, although more often than not it is just fine. You must be well traveled to hold the perspective that things in a poorer nation are not to westerners standards at every moment. But Thailand is lovely in so many ways. People need to take a breath, relax, and remember they are not at home, but guests in a host country.

We are a small facility and strive to please. Thanks again for your kind words.

Cordially,
Louis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here. The hotel was clean and nicely decorated, and although the room was not very spacious it was not uncomfortably small. The breakfast in bed was a delight to start our day. Also, the staff is really helpful on booking transportation around the island, and they rent scooters that you can pick up right outside the hotel. However, not all the information was equally helpful, as they recommended that we purchase the gas sold at small stalls and that proved to be much more expensive than going to a service station. There are perhaps cheaper options if you branch out of the hotel but this is very convenient.
The hotel is centrally located, at walking distance from the beach, the lively bangla road and the mall. If you want to move out of Ao Patong, a scooter is a reasonably cheap option that will give you more independence that taking several taxis or tuk tuks.
You will find fancier and more glamorous lodgings in Ao Patong, even an the beach front, but if you are on a tighter budget the price difference will be substantial. We would definitely return to Phuket Paradise Hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Das_AnR
Louis L, Owner at Phuket Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall. Thanks for your kind words.

We get asked advice daily, and it is just a matter of our own opinion. You are correct about the fuel situation. The petrol station is definitely cheaper by 10 Baht (~USD 0.30) cheaper per liter. But the reason we don't recommend it is because there is only one petrol in station in all of Patong, and it is on the opposite side of town. We just look at the opportunity cost of the time spent to buy 2 or 3 liters for a rental scooter and encourage guests to just buy what people sell on the side of the street rather than take the time and navigate through two sections of road construction and a busy area (near the mountain pass) to save about a dollar for fuel that would last a day or two. Most guests are anxious to get to their beach destinations or nightclub activities. But you are correct about he street-side petrol being more expensive per liter. If one was going to circumnavigate all of Phuket and burn a lot of fuel, a visit to the petrol station might be better than buying road-side fuel.

Advice from me or the staff more often than not what saves our guests time and money. But we also look at opportunity costs. We often tell guests where to find the least expensive food or clean massage. We explain where the more beautiful beaches are located and what day-trips or excursions are more value for their money. But yes, it is only our opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. We hope you visit us again.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I went there with my girlfriend. 1st time in Thailand.

Everything was great! From the breakfast to the great service. Staff were always at hand to help or answer questions. Special mention about Louis. He gave us the low down on all there is to know about Patong and the best places to go party, eat, get massages etc.

The rooms were always clean and the bed very comfy!

The balcony is a must for some fresh air and the top floor is great for relaxing!

They organised us a scooter as soon as they could, even during the peak season between 25/12 till New Years. We stayed there from the 28th of Dec 2013 till the 7th of Jan 2014 and I would recommend it to anyone.

P.S if you go, Ask for Hack. He works front of house and is a very nice guy to chat to if Louis is unavailable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Louis L, Owner at Phuket Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thanks for your kind words...

I was surprised to find out you work in the travel industry. We try to keep on our toes for professionals like yourself.

We enjoy you as guests. We hope to see you next year. And yes, just ask for me if you don't see me at the front desk. I live in the hotel so usually if you just ask, staff can find me within minutes.

Thanks again,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2014

we stayed for christmas for 5 days and we are VERY unhappy with this hotel booked on mainly the reviews we seen on trip advisor. every review i read mentioned a so called character 'louis', tis 'louis' character is the ghost of the hotel who we never had the so called pleasure of being introduced to. when i actually discovered who louis was, not once did he make one effort to acknowledge us, help us or offer us any service or tell us about our free scooter that was available for our use or our free elephant trekking trip which we did not get to go on. other than louis the rest of the staff were helpful and friendly. the wifi was was the worst i have ever come across, one bar if you stayed still on a good day which was very inconvenient for me. one good thing i will say is that the breakfast in bed is lovely. would not recommend and I am not that picky, usually very happy with hotels!

Room Tip: we stayed in the so called best room and that was like a box!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Louis L, Owner at Phuket Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Emma,

We have run many packages in the past. Some included island trips, motor scooters, and yes, elephant trekking, But we have never offered a package that included all the items to a guest. No one has ever been denied a package they booked. (Our free scooter package ended last 30 September, although people who booked during the promotion are getting their scooters to this day.) A quick look at your booking from Booking.com only says "Breakfast":

Room Name ........: Deluxe Double Room with Balcony - Non-refundable - Breakfast included
Arrival Date .....: 2014-02-21
Departure Date ...: 2014-02-26
Guest ............: Emma Nolan

You had one of the nicest rooms in the hotel, with a balcony, on the quiet side, away from the noise or the tuk-tuks and motorbikes. I don't know what you mean when you say your room was "like a box." Yes, your room is square, but it is exactly as pictured online. We are only a 3 star facility, not a 5 star villa with suites.

WiFi is hit or miss here in Thailand. Our hotel pays for the highest and most expensive Internet package. During the high season, the local infrastructure is somewhat lacking in a developing country. Phuket has regular power outages, and it seems that if it rains a single drop, the Internet fails. I watch movies and listen to live streaming in the hotel on a regular basis, but yes, sometimes the Internet on the island is less than best.

You mention I "didn't offer you any service." I am not sure what service you though you were entitled to from me. I also don't quite understand me being the "ghost of the hotel." I own the hotel, but am not hotel staff, per se. I see and orient many guests to the Patong area, but during the "super peak" Christmas season it is possible I missed you. I am sure if you had asked to see or meet with me, I would have gladly set a time to meet help orient you to the area. Your writing seems a bit of a personal attack, which I don't understand if you say that you had little or no interaction with me.

At any rate, I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. In retrospect, I wish you would have put in a request for whatever you felt was lacking. We strive to please.
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Was just 2 days, but was a good stayed.
Staffs friendly, good breakfast; served right on time the order and calm even being in Patong.
The wi-fi is very good!
Clean room, nice bed.
I forgot my jacket and they kept to me! Just wish they post, but my friend should take there.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Louis L, Owner at Phuket Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Thanks for your kind words. Your jacket is at the front desk.

Marbella, Spain
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Very good location near beach and most facilities. The rooms are neat and tidy and you definitely get your monies worth. The breakfast is good. We were very pleased with our choice and would stay here again.
The down side would be poor internet signal, but not the end of the world.
For families with baby prams etc, the hotel has no elevator.
Staff very nice and helpful.
Important info if you take the minibus from the airport is to check you are dropped at the correct hotel before the bus leaves. We just saw Paradise and got off but it was another hotel. The lady on reception told us it always happens because the drivers cant be bothered to drive into the very center of Patong. We had to pay another 300 bahts to get a tuktuk to the hotel 3 kms further into center of Patong.

Room Tip: Dont get a room towards the back street behind the hotel. Every night a pack of wild dogs turned up...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Louis L, Owner at Phuket Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
We love repeat visitors. Come see us again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

The room is exactly as it appears in the pictures on the website. Clean, modern and provides for all your needs.

The breakfast in bed is also a great touch and adds a touch of luxury to your morning.

Location wise - the hotel is on one of the back streets from the beach in Patong. However you can easily get to the beach via the numerous motorbike taxis or your own bike If you hire one. I personally recommend to get one as the beaches are a lot nicer elsewhere on the island - however Patong allows you to have a great night out and is a good base.

There were some road works along the road from the hotel - however it wasn't something that caused many issues. And I'm sure things will only approve as the year goes on.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind words. We hope we see you again.