“Delicious! I returned again the Very Next Night”
Review of Tantra

Tantra
Ranked #22 of 652 Restaurants in Patong
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are located at beachfront and the only Indian restaurant with Indian cultural seatings on the floor. Best foods in town and we do serve original Indian vegetarian. Our Indian Chef is also very good in preparing Indian-Chinese foods. You will love our foods. We do serve both Lunch and Dinner Time starting from 11.00 Am to mid night. We do the most catering for local, group and wedding party. Please contact us if you are interested in our services.
Reviewed May 17, 2014

I visited here on February 22, 2014 and the food was so great I returned again to eat more the following afternoon for lunch. The staff was excellent. I told the waiter I wasn’t too familiar with Indian menus and that I was vegetarian and asked if he could make some suggestions. He was incredibly friendly and helpful. I ended up eating a delicious vegetable semosa as an appetizer and my main orders were kadhi paneer and dal tarka, which I ordered with jeera rice and garlic naan.

The food was delicious but even so I ordered too much food for even a big guy like myself to eat alone. My family helped finished it off, even though non-vegetarians they loved the food too. The people working here are all Indian, the place is decorate in traditional Indian and they wear traditional India clothing that creates a great ambiance.

When I returned the following afternoon for lunch it was much less busy than the night before but we had the same waiter. This is when I noticed everyone eating there day time hour were Indian besides us, but was menu westerners at night. It is therefore popular with both. I also noticed during the day they offer the option of traditional Indian seating. A large family came in and were sitting on the floor with triangular pillows for mats and a fan was set up to cool them off.

As I wasn't familiar with Indian food coming in, and am now a fan of it (having since ate at several shops) I'm happy to see they have a website which lists the full menu giving me a chance to research before I come back. As mentioned I ate there the next day again after discovering it. I'll be in Phuket again next in late July 2014 and eating here is high on my must do list.

A tip for finding this place: It is on the main road that Patong beach is visible from. If you were on Bangla Road where the nightlife is and walked from that road to the main road the beach runs on you would turn right. It is however a considerable walk, it is doable but in the heat a tuktuk would suffice. The actual location is almost across the road from where the Children's playground (this has swings, a slide, big medal dog, etc.) that is in front of the beach is. If you reach that play area in a tuktuk from the direction I just described you'll have gone just a little too far.

7  Thank Jim G

Reviewed May 16, 2014

Ambience was good, service was quick and prompt. Worth a visit for Lunch and Dinner.

We ordered veg items as family is pure vegetarian

7  Thank Soodyogesh
Reviewed May 5, 2014

The location per trip advisor is completely wrong. Tantra is along the main beach strip in Patong, in between sawasdirak and Had Patong road, open 11am-12am.

It's advertised as a London pub and Indian restaurant. We were concerned it might be British style curries but it isn't. Authentic curries served in traditional dishes. Great papadam and chutneys. Delicious authentic nana. Super kind and caring service. Our second time eating here we wanted to order the lamb Rogan josh again because it was so good but they had already ran our for the night, the waiter explained it would take like an hour to prepare more. He was so apologetic he offered it on the house if we came back another night. The butter chicken was quite good, not overly creamy like the average north American stuff, but ask for it done with chicken thigh meat and not the breast. It's ten times better... Standard price for Indian food.

8  Thank 72Beetle
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My wife's tailor recommended we try this place so we did and will go back. The staff were all very polite and we were promptly served. I explained that I needed a dish with minimal spice because of a dose of Bangla Belly and they accommodated me superbly with a rice and lamb dish, which I added some two types of chutney, one being mango which was delicious. My wife had buttered chicken and we also had plain naan bread. The Singha beer was only 69 Baht - and that's the cheapest you'll get in any restaurant along the beach road! My wife was able to enjoy a glass of white wine (house white) that didn't need to be chewed. Our whole meal was only 875 Baht! If you like Indian food, seek this one out - you will not be disappointed.

10  Thank KeithJ23
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Well well well.....
During our trip in Phuket, lunch has normally been a non-event given our large breakfasts and dinners. For some reason we thought we'd head out for a 2pm lunch yesterday at Tantra after reading their previous reviews.

When we arrived the place was empty, normally a sign to stay clear, but we went in anyway confident it was just the time of day. I now realise this place must be packed for dinners!

We eat a lot of Indian food back home and like to always try new places and dishes. This restaurant shot straight to equal first on both our lists of Indian restaurants, including some from famous Brick Lane in London.

The mixed Tandoor Grill was exceptional, consisting of chicken (3 ways), fish, prawns, lamb sausage and salad. This was accompanied by an assortment if condiments. Normally when you are getting a mixed grill, especially from a Tandoor, you run the risk of over cooking some of the meats by trying to have everything ready at once. Everything was succulent and FULL of flavour.

The Lamb Saag is a personal favourite and was beautifully slow cooked lamb pieces. The spinach sauce was smooth and very tasty.

What's the point in an Indian dinner without the Naan. We went for the cheese Naan, which is a little out of character for us, but we were rewarded for our choice. Perfectly cooked Naan, with a subtle amount of cheese and mixed herbs was a perfect vehicle for our food.

We accompanied our meal with a house red wine, Italian, that was very well selected by the owner. A very light wine with earthy flavours was an excellent offset to the spices in the dish, working with them instead of over powering them.

All in all, I can't recommend Tantra enough. When your next in Patong definitely give them a go, whether their busy or not!

P.s. Best Bloody Mary I've had in Thailand.

11  Thank Roy P

Been to Tantra? Share your experiences!