“Horrible Experience” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #229 of 319 Hotels in Patong
Patong, Thailand
“Horrible Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Before I go on complaining on a number of things, I have to be honest and say that the location is ideal very close to beach, and any form of entertainment.

That being said, the hotel may have been modern and fantastic say 8 to 10 years ago, but honestly it is outdated, and does not have all the facilities one would expect a hotel to have e.g a fitness center. The biggest one for me is parking, NO Guest/Resident parking, really?

I get to the hotel and firstly its not a sea facing room as hoped, the room number on the letter was clearly scratched out and replaced so maybe I was assigned one but they gave it to another complaining guest, who knows, I was just too tired to fight it.

A very silly but notable complaint is the TV, I know its a fantastic city so one should not care about a TV, but I am a TV buff and given the time we are in, they still use Big CRT TV's. The reception in my room on the 4th floor is hazy and horrible, much like they have an antennae for TV signal.

The shower is filthy, mildew on the railings and corners, the doors didn't even close fully causing the floor to get wet. They mount toilet roll holders behind the toilet! POINTLESS!

Aircon isn't powerful enough, horrible view and smell from the balcony for rooms near the elevator. WiFi does not work well, constantly not working, very very frustrating.

Front desk staff pretend like they do not understand English or you when you ask them for anything, but when they want to complain to you they speak it perfectly fine.

They do not clearly advertise what the hotel offers and what it does not. The one very frustrating thing is the key's. They ask you to leave the room key at the front desk every time you leave the hotel, I am sorry but I do not believe in this principle, it clearly gives them an indication when I am not In the room which in return giving them the freedom to do what they please with your valuables (not that I have noticed they did).

I hired a car and had no where to park it, they refused to assign a spot outside the hotel for me, and said its for their shuttles only. After getting into a fight with local taxi mafia outside the hotel, they refused to even come help me not even the security guard (Apparently they are too scared), yet they told me to park across the road but after my incident they told me that the mafia controls that area and I should park much further up which I was scammed into paying for.

After local mafia threatened to break the car, I asked them if I could park the car over night at the front which one staff member agreed too, but when staff swapped it become a big thing and insisted I move the car 7am every morning, I offered to leave my keys with them to move it for me but they said they basically don't have the time for that.

Inhouse travel agent is 2 times more expensive compare to the street agents. Rooms are not sound proofed as you can hear lots of talking and noise coming from outside.

They do not have a generator as I have experienced on my first night with no power for easily 4hours.

My balcony was broken and has cheap plastic chairs outside, there is no mosquito replants.

There are more complaints but I cannot recall all of it, in a nutshell, I do not recommend this hotel to anyone either than someone who just wants to be nicely located to the beach.

I certainly will not come back here, and nor will I advise anybody I know to use this hotel.

Room Tip: Request sea facing room prior to booking confirmation and if not a sea facing room, choose one close...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Shivaan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

Resort located on Patong beach. Step across the road and onto the beach. Good service and had breakfast and dinner included in the package. Good choice of dinner menu i.e. Indian and Thai. Rooms are spacious. Select a sea view room if possible. The Spa offers experienced personnel. The only negative comment could be that the Resort is also the Main hub for Absolute marketing representatives interviewing potential clients for membership on a daily basis.

Room Tip: Try to select a sea view room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Johanmun
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Recently I stayed at Sea Pearl (having transferred there from Twin Sands Resort which was much more modern, far more luxurious, but too far out of town). The service in arranging and coping with my transfer request was fantastic - thanks Annie. I was there as a member of ABSOLUTE.
The Sea Pearl is a bit old and tired but my room was spacious, in the style of a minio suite with a good sized bed area, separate lounge room and a good sized bath with separate shower recess and a kitchenette. Entirely adequate even if not spanking new and not flash.
I found the lack of a safe in the room to be a minor irritation; safeboxes are accessible via reception and the staff were always happy and very helpful, buy it is a nuisance nevertheless.
Unfortunately the hot water in the bathroom was a problem and I was forced to move rooms, which was also handled well enough by the staff. The new room contained the biggest bed I have ever seen - easily big enough for four people!
The restaurant was okay - had a brekkie there (alright, nothing to rave about; cost reasonable) and an Indian dinner (ditto).
Pool is small but was clean and I seemed to be only person who used it over the course of six days.
The hotel is well located across the road from a good beach area and in easy walking distance of all the markets, shops and attractions of Bangla Road etc which are a feature of Patong.
Best things about the place are undoubtedly the location and the friendly staff. One word of warning - if you like peace and quiet do not stay on the side road overlooking the bars on the corner as they stay open until 2.00am and the noise from them and passing tuk tuks will definitely drive you to distraction!

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing the bars located on the corner and side road for quieter nights.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank GWGGWG
AbsoluteSeapearl, Public Relations Manager at Absolute Sea Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thanks for your comments, it's a shame you felt the need to move from our latest resort Twin Sands as that is very modern by comparison. It's true that Sea Pearl's location is its main feature right on the beach ( hence the lack of swimming poll clients) is a major drawer, but I'm glad that any changes you were required to make during your trip were handled smoothly and efficiently and at the end of your stay you felt you had had a well earned break.
Kulim, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is my first travel experience to Phuket. I booked the hotel Absolute Sea Pearl by chance thru online (agoda.com) as this vacation is for my honeymoon vacation. The hotel provides best user experience and comfort. Foods are nice same as the room. A perfect blend of soulful, romantic & enjoyable experience indeed! On my next vacation to Phuket i will book the same hotel again! Highly recommended for couples who likes a good stay with sea view.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gauthem
Thanks for your fantastic review so glad your honeymoon vacation holiday as all you hoped for. We of course look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Phuket, so until then...
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a week, room was a little dated but very clean. Staff were very friendly, helpful and well spoken. Location is fantastic, Patong beach is right outside the front door. There are some great little bars next door and Bangla road is a short 10 min walk away.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Marsez
AbsoluteSeapearl, Public Relations Manager at Absolute Sea Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thanks for very much for your review, it's true that despite its age the resort's location is still one of the best.
Maryborough, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

This was our second visit to the Absolute Sea Pearl. We have time share with another club and exchanged our 'free week' for a week at Patong. Although an older style resort, we much prefer this the the new style resort that Absolute are building in more remote locations near Patong.
The many years old, the Sea Pearl is in pretty good condition and could, in some way, be kept as a monument to the many lives lost here in the Boxing Day tsunami of 2004.
The Sea Pearl is in an excellent location, right on the beach front and in walking distance to all of Patong's attractions yet quite enough to relax as required.
Our unit was a 1 bedroom with mini kitchen. There was room service each day. Unit was more spacious than we expected. Although there was an older style TV, there was an excellent selection of international channels available. Unit had free Wi Fi. The bathroom was large with bath and separate shower.
Only problem we found was the power points in the kitchen would not fit the electric jug and toaster provided. We mentioned to the staff and a technician soon made up an adapter. One wonders what previous occupants of this unit did for a cup of tea.
Another observation is that the Absolute Company use this complex as offices and client sales pitch area. This takes up most of the ground floor and lower floor. However it is only a problem if one wants it to be.
The pool in fine, but in a very public area, between the restaurant and main roads. The excellent beach at Patong is merely across the road.
Staff are most friendly, courteous and super efficient.
Overall we had a very pleasant week at the Sea Pearl and given the opportunity, could easily spend more time there.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the bars and roadway on the northern side could get noisy at nighttime.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 5555lottie
AbsoluteSeapearl, Public Relations Manager at Absolute Sea Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. It's true that this resort is not as new as our latest developments but it does have a wonderful location right on the beach which more than makes up for it. We are very glad very enjoyed your week with us so we hope that you chose to spend some time with us either here or one of our latest resorts which would welcome you with open arms next time you are here.
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

I have never stayed in a resort before and had never been to Phuket before this trip but this Accommodation was definitely a let down for both first time experiences. This was more like a cheap and nasty inner city motel and obviously used as a hard core sales centre for the Vultures they call Timeshare Sales Reps. The environment around the resort was not enjoyable and neither was the Rotavirus me and my entire family contracted while staying for 7 nights. The beds were horribly uncomfortable as if they had put a layer of foam over a piece of plywood! After 3 nights of noisy partying outside our room (across the Street) we asked to be moved rooms and thankfully were moved to the other side of the resort to finally get some sleep. Although the beds in the new rooms were just as bad as the first. The staff in the restaurant for breakfast were always lovely, friendly and helpful with the children. Pity that this comment is the only positive I can provide from our say with Absolute. Will definitely check reviews before we book our next trip to Thailand and book accommodation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank ColzGibbo
AbsoluteSeapearl, Public Relations Manager at Absolute Sea Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay at our resort. It is one of our oldest properties and we are addressing the issues of upgrading all the standards that we expect for our holidays.

Travelers are raving about these Patong hotels