“Well worth it”

Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach
Ranked #21 of 322 Hotels in Patong
“Well worth it”
Reviewed July 12, 2006

8 of us have just returned from a fantastic holiday in Phuket. We stayed at this hotel for 10 nights and found it to be very good. Only problems were that the bed and pillows were hard and that service can be really slow around the pool and the lobby is gorgeous but stinking hot as all open, be prepared to melt at happy hour! Apart from that the rooms are very nice and spacious, all seem to have a great view. The pool is fantastic. Food in the resort is good and the day spa is reasonable. Do try the beach for a massage, most people in our party agreed that it was one of the best they have had. Be prepared to pay 200 bart, non negoitable into town, this can add up if you are a couple with so many of us it didn't really matter.
Overall a very nice place to stay and would recommend. Also make sure to do a day trip to Phi Phi and Maya Bay, stunning!

• Stayed June 2006
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth
Reviewed July 10, 2006

We chose the Merlin Beach Resort for seven nights in mid-October 2005. We were part of a group of 18 people who were due to go to Bali at that same time, but decided to choose another destination after the latest bomb attacks (two weeks before we travelled). Great rooms, excellent food, good service, pool bar was wonderful (we spent a lot of time there) and the location being out of Patong was excellent. The shuttle bus made us laugh every time we caught it - it is right there for free if you want it - but it didn't cost us that much in a tuk-tuk to go to Patong (taxis were more expensive).

We went into Patong every night except two, when we ate at the Thai restaurant in the hotel which was brilliant. But every restaurant in Patong was great, so excellent cheap food is definitely available outside the hotel. None of us got sick (which is a bonus).

A must see in Phuket - Dino's mini golf, down Kata beach way - complete with dinosaurs and volcanoes etc. The attached restaurant and bar is very 'Flintstones" complete with Fred's car! We went there in 1999 and it hasn't changed a bit (not even the soup which is still the best Tom Yum Goong in Phuket).

Use the laundry service across the road from the hotel - it's cheap and efficient. And book your tours etc through one of the many companies in Patong - we found a good one in an alley way opposite the big market place (which is opposite the Patong Merlin).

Our only gripe is (as menioned by another member earlier) of our 18 people, four of us had our credit card details ripped off by the hotel - three out of four of us only used the card once in Phuket and that was in the hotel, so we narrowed it down that way - but fortunately our credit card companies were on top of the case and cancelled our cards as soon as they saw bogus transactions - we were never billed with any false transactions, only had the inconvenience of being without the Plastic Fantastic at Christmas time! We are going again in October this year, but will be handing over a credit card to Reception that we never use, to guard against that happening again to our main card. But overall a wonderful place to stay, would never choose anywhere else in Phuket.

Oh and give Simon's a miss - old, tired and tacky...

• Stayed October 2005
20 Thank IFeet
Auckland , New Zealand
Reviewed July 5, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Merlin Beach Resort at the end of June on a business trip and found it to be a wonderful place to relax. I won’t replicate all the glowing reviews below, suffice to say everything you’ll read is true. The rooms are lovely and the three pools are just what you need for the 30 degree heat and humidity. Do try the massages on the beach, they are wonderful. If you see a scrawny black cat on the lawn at the rear of the hotel, be sure to feed it some tipbits!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
11 Thank stevegc
Reviewed July 2, 2006

Yes, all the raves about this great hotel is true. The breakfast was the best that we had at any of the hotels, and during this holiday we stayed at four. The food was fresh and the dishes, breads changed EVERY day, which was wonderful. We had rooms overlooking the street which I liked better than pool access because I could watch the vibe and buzz of the street and the beauty of the bush clad hills. We had a superior room and it was lovely, with a/c that WORKED, lovely decor and a good shower. The staff were industrious, smiling and very lovely, and gorgeously attired. However, there was a fly in the ointment - when we left the room for the final time to check out, between the time it took for us to go down in the elevator to the checkout desk, we were presented with a minbar bill for things we didn't consume! It took five minutes for someone, presumably the staff, to have a good feed on us! It really annoyed me, but we paid because the airport shuttle was waiting. Also, my friend had $70.00 (Aus) stolen out of her bag in a locked room, but the thieves left a fortune in New Zealand money in the same pocket. Hahaha!
Despite these minor hiccups, I would stay again because I really enjoyed this hotel. Don't book your trips to safari and islands with the hotel. Go down to the local bars and ask around, they will give you good pointers to book your trips for half the price.

• Stayed May 2006
20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed June 24, 2006

We stayed here about four years ago, when the hotel was 11 months old. Rather silly writing a review now, but didn't know this site existed. I agree with all the other travellers with their rave reviews and are reallypleased to see that their standards have not changed.

The only downside to staying at this resort, is that we have found it hard to find hotels for our annual overseas holidays that can live up to this amazing standard. Once you have been there, you will never want to go anywhere else!

• Stayed October 2002
10 Thank KarenEvans
Reviewed June 17, 2006

Hi, I user tripadvisor to find this resort and after staying here the 1st thing I thought of was to confirm all the excellent stories about this place. It is amazing. But like usual I never got around to writing the review. Until now, a few months later when we have receieved a call from our credit card company.

Some one here in Australia has used our credit card to buy thousands of dollars worth of goods. Basically until the card maxed out. We couldnt work out how someone had our details and we thought of everything until as soon as the credit card company found out we stayed at Merlin Beach Resort..... Bang. That's it. Yep apparently some one at this resort is copying guests credit card details and I presume selling them to others who make fake cards. The credit card company says there have been more than enough fraud cases that are traced right back here.

So by all means I'll back what everyone says about this resort, but you might want to try a way to get around giving them your credit card details. My memory has lost me but I think they even photocopied the card? Be cautious anyway.

Oh, the other thing I didnt like about this place is the locals who wait out the front to take you to town. The free courtesy bus is good but it doesnt run very often so you are forced to take a cab or tuk tuk. About 200 baht each way when I was there. Consider hiring your own scooter from Patong (not from the resort as they are a bit pricey). We hired a great scooter for about 300 baht a day. It works out a better option in my opinion.

Anyway, still very happy with the place and will still stay there again. I'll just pay cash and say i dont have a credit card.. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

• Stayed April 2006
33 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 13, 2006

Wow, what a slice of heaven this place is, the place is kept spotless and the service is great.
There is lots I could go on about regarding how good this place is but I will focus on the 2 problems I found,
As a single traveliing I found tthat this resort was geared towards couples NOT singles. I did meet one other single who found the same and like myself didn't want the full on hustle and bustle of Patong at night but found the resort was lonely at night for singles.
My only other complaint was that I paid a single supplement for my room (basically double the twin share price) but while checking in I was asked if I was alone and then immediately told I would have to pay 1500baht extra if I want to bring a girl/boy back to my room.. what can I tell you immediately offended and obviously pidgeon-holed just because I was a single man travelling in Thailand.
Bottom line if I had a girlfriend with me, this would have been the best place on earth.

ps Don't book your day trips at the resort travel desk, go into town and haggle and easily get exactly the same trip at least half price

• Stayed June 2006
21 Thank SeanBAU
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
Avista Hideaway Phuket Patong, MGallery by Sofitel
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 322 in Patong
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach? Share your experiences!