Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Amari Phuket(Patong)
$173
$144
Amari.com
Diamond Cliff Resort and Spa(Patong)(Great Value!)
$100
$88
$151
$123
$123
Deevana Patong Resort & Spa(Patong)(Great Value!)
$77
$68
Nap Patong(Patong)(Great Value!)
$87
$58
Agoda.com
B-Lay Tong Phuket(Patong)(Great Value!)
$156
$89
Patong Merlin Hotel(Patong)(Great Value!)
$101
$85
$65
$58
Banthai Beach Resort & Spa(Patong)(Great Value!)
$96
$91
Agoda.com
  • Pool
2,480 results
All reviewsprivate beachlittle tiger restaurantbeach grillfamily massageswim up bartri trang beachtuk tukhigh tidethai restaurantpool access roomshuttle bushappy hourkids clubfreedom beachthe hustle and bustlelaundry donecost baht
FilterAll languages
A TripAdvisor Member
South Shields, England
Reviewed April 20, 2006

After reading reviews about Merlin Beach and seeing the fantasctic photos I was dying to get there to see it all for myself - I was not disappointed!! In fact I don't think you can put into words how breath taking the resort is. We stayed in a pool access room, which was great when you just wanted to nip for a swim without having to go anywhere. The breakfast buffet was out of this world with every kind of brealkfast type you could wish for. I especially liked the omlettes that were made for you after you chose the ingredients. On an evening we had a choice of the restaurants in the resort, however once we tried the buffet in the Buket Coffee Shop we were hooked and ate most nights there as there was a diffeent selection of food and entertainment everynight for 500 baht.

We went on three different boat trips while in Phuket - speedboat to Phi Phi, long boat to "James Bond Island" and canoe trip round the caves in Phang Nga. On all of these we were looked after from start to finish and fed and watered regularly along the way. Plenty of photo opportunities of magnificent scenery and the guides were freindly and VERY helpful.

I would thoroughly recommend Merlin Beach Resort for anyone who is looking to stay in this part of Phuket. Only 5 minutes in taxi away from Patong town centre and far enough away to feel as if you are in the middle of nowhere with all of the peace and quiet.

51  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2006

I won't have a chance to stay at this wonderful hotel, but thought I'd post a quick review of my experience with their reservations system which could be relevant for tourists. The rating above applies to the reservation process, not to the hotel which I imagine would be amazing).

Firstly, for anyone currently looking for a pool-access room between now and the end of Oct2006 - they are booked solid! I kid you not. I even spoke to their hotel manager and reconfirmed with their email reservations: all 37 pool-access rooms are booked until the end of Oct2006. We had been looking for 1-4 nights in mid-September and nothing was available (not even for a single night!). Well, to be honest we are happy to see the hotel is faring so well, that being low season and post-Tsunami! Not good for us of course, but we managed to secure an incredible deal at the equally amazing Le Meridien (see Phuket forum for details).

My only comment about the reservation system is that it is done online by email request, and on business days expect to wait 24hrs for a reply (or up to 48 hrs on weekends). This was our experience. There was no way to see actual room availability online for most pool-access or superior rooms, and I was told that I would need to go through the online email method to book my reservation (when I called the front desk, the manager said they were unable able to make reservations on the spot and deferred to the online reservation system). Compare this to the immediate phone and email reservation I was able to make with Starwood Le Meridien. I had full details and confirmation literally in my email box within 10 seconds of being off the phone with the Starwood representative! Secondly, the online Merlin reservation required ccard information whilst the webform did not have any visible security encryption which concerned me. I imagine it hasn't been a problem however for most given the number of glowing reviews on this site.

Anyways, I still hope to visit the Merlin Beach resort some-day - but in the future I guess we'll need to try to make reservations > 5months in advance!

- JT88

• Stayed: April 2006
23  Thank James T
A TripAdvisor Member
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed April 14, 2006

This was our first trip to Phuket and I did alot of research on where to stay. The Merlin Beach Resort was recommended and we were not disappointed.
On arrival we were shown to a lovely sofa in the splendid lobby and given cool face towels. Check in was smooth and we loved our room on the fourth floor over looking the pool and the ocean.

The bed was big and comfortable, T.V. had lots of channels and the bathroom catered for all you needs even little bags of detergent if you want to give anything a quick wash. Best of all this hotel had great water pressure, a few of the other places we stayed at this seemed to be a bit of a problem.

The gardens surrounding the three pool areas were lush and well maintained and there were plenty of pool beds to choose from. The pool access rooms sit in a completely idealic little sanctuary with its own rock water fall and bar, very lovely for romantics. Pool towels were soft and plentiful as long as you gave them back you could have as many as you liked.

Breakfast was excellent with a wide variety of western and international dishes. You could easily fill up for the day.

There are a number of restaurants and cafes on the premises, we ordered a burger and fries from the cafe and the food was average as well as a little pricey compared to Patong but depending on your budget you could get decent food. I did order a club sandwich from room service which was inedible though, but I may have just got them on a bad day.

There is a beauty spa which for a resort was reasonably priced but I chose to walk onto the little beach and have a massage there for 300BHT, beautiful and relaxing listening to the sound of the waves breaking and the Thai ladies chattering quitely.

Although the Merlin has it's own secluded beach, I found the sand to be very shaly and only able to be swam in at high tide due to the rocks (see photos).

Taxis and tuk tuks are available 24/7 at the entrance of the hotel. 200BHT to get into Patong. We hired a moped so we could go wherever we liked any time we liked and this cost us 200 BHT for 24 hours, brilliant value.

There is a clinic, shop, tailors and tour desk at your disposal as well which is great because once you get back to the resort from town, if you have forgotten to buy things you can do so here. Again though expect to pay through the roof for the privelage.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to friends and others. It was clean friendly and run efficiently and professionally.

Only down side is that it is a lttle way out of the hustle and bustle but Patong is only 10 mins away in a taxi.

47  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 27, 2006

We have recently returned from a fantastic holiday in Thailand (our 4th time). We stayed for 7 nights at the Merlin Beach in a pool access room which was absolutely excellent. The resort itself is beautiful and very well kept, although I feel it is a little way out of town (approx 3km's but not suitable for walking due to the hills).

Breakfast was great, we didn't eat at the hotels restaurants as we were in Patong every night, but I believe the restaurants at the hotel are very good.

The pools are fantastic and although many people say the beach here is no good my husband and I went out for a snorkel at high tide and found it was quite OK. There is also another beautiful beach called Paradise Beach which is found if you turn left out of the resort and walk along the road, you will see a small cafe on the beach but keep walking up the steep hill and you will see a sign that says Paradise Beach 1.4km's-just follow the track but do take some water with you it is a very hilly and sometimes steep walk, once on the beach you can hire a deck chair for 60 baht(approx $2AUD)or have some lunch.

We would definately recommend the Merlin Beach Resort and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.....Happy Holidays

32  Thank parkers
Reviewed March 16, 2006

No longer a "Hidden Gem"
I thaught we could keep this bit of paradise to our self unfortunately you have all found this site and the cat is out of the bag.I only hope the rave reviews on this site don't change the great value for money this resort is.The people that designed'operate and work in this resort can give them selves a pat on the back.No detail is missed from the boys that check and clean the pools early in the morning to the European Chef that is always on hand checking presentation.

If you like sitting reading a book,swimming in a pool,eating,swimming in another pool,having a massage,eating,having a $10 massage on the beach more eating and swiming in the other two pools then this is the place for you.The night life of Patong is just a $5 ride away as the resort is nice and quiet at night.

They have theme nights (Seafood BBQ )and groups performing in one of the four restaurants every other night.The International buffet is not to be missed if you are not too full as you stuffed yourself silly at breakfast. I have never seen so much good quality food. You can get an individual omelette made to order in front of you at the breakfast area. We never had dinner out of the resort as $25 a meal was fine by me.Do the 2 hour cooking course.Take a day trip to Phi Phi or James Bond Islands.Sea kayaking if you are fit.Spend an enjoyable night at the Fantasy Show.

The beach is for having a massage or watching the sunset as the coral outcrops are very sharp and not worth the risk of being cut.Anyway you have three of the best pools of any resort I have ever seen.A fourth pool safe for toddlers.If anyone has found a better pool resort please poste it on this site.Enjoy Thailand we are on our way back soon.

• Stayed: July 2004