“Family loved this resort”

Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach
Ranked #16 of 334 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed December 16, 2008

I researched our holiday to Phuket through Trip Advisor, I wanted a holiday destination that we could go with our 19 year old son and my 15 year old daughter. My husband and I had already been to Bali (admittedly on our honeymoon 20 years ago) and had also been on a cruise with our daughter to Vanuatu and Fiji. We wanted somewhere that suited us all. Phuket turned out to be a great family holiday and the Merlin Beach Resort was part of that reason, after reading all the reviews about Merlin Beach (both good and bad) i asked our travel agent to give us a price on staying there ( MBR was not the hotel they had reccomeded) and they quite happily gave us a quote and said that it looked like a good place. We also got a good deal being in July not the peak season. We loved the idea of the poolside rooms that you could walk straight into the pools, we booked 2 units side by side and we couldn;t have been happier. i think sometimes you have to read beyond some of the bad reviews. It was a very relaxing and fun holiday. Once we realised the go was to spend the day at the resort sunning swimming and maybe getting masages and then to go out in the evening when it was not so hot, we had the best of both worlds. I did manage to drag the family on some tours but they did get bored with the temples etc, but I loved them. Our favourite was the elephant and white water rafting tour. We did the speed boat to Phi Phi but found it very busy and some of the islands after all the boats had been had a lot of rubbish around, at Phi Phi it was just boat after boat, if i went again I think I would spend the extra money and try and go on a one of the smaller tours. we are heading back in July this year with other friends and plan to do a bit more exploring of the island.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank Ainsley13
Write a ReviewReviews (2,357)

Reviewed December 12, 2008

The pillows stank of BO even after they came and swapped them. The hotel was dated and in need of an upgrade. The location was 3km from Patong beach and in the middle of nowhere with a VERY limited courtesy bus service. This meant that the local taxi's were able to make stacks of extra cash from tourists wanting to go anywhere. Put up with it for 3 days then moved to the Mecure in the centre.. excellent location, much nicer staff, fantastic room and half the price !!

5  Thank Harlings
Reviewed November 21, 2008

This place has the best pools - three in total. We booked a pool access room which allows you to step out and into the third pool.

We stayed here for 12 nights on our honeymoon. The room was decent sized but nowhere near as big as the previous hotel - Chandara Resort.

The hotel itself is very well kept and for us had a perfect location.

Its far enough outside of Patong to forget where you are - we used the hotels taxi service to get into restaurants in Patong and to the Central Festival shopping centre and also the cable park (wakeboarding).

The pool bar was also very cool.

Breakfast was included in the rate we paid & was pretty good. Fresh omelettes were my favourite.

There is a great little massage hut on the beach on the right hand side that does massages of about 5.5 euro for an hour and will also do you laundry. The massages were really good. We got lots of clothes cleaned by them - again cheap as hell and really well done - washed/dried/folded/socks sorted.

There is a restaurant on the cliff face on the left hand side for Thai food that was nice - much better than the hotel.

The best meal we had was in Baam Rim Ta - which is a 300 baht taxi ride away - really worth trying for quality food with fantastic views/decor.

The negatives : their Thai restaurant served us the worst meal we have ever had! Honestly it was disgusting! The rice smelt like smelly socks! We both took a single mouthful before wanting to leave - which we did! The waitress claimed that we didn't like it because it was too spicy! We came to Thailand partly because we love spicy food - but her English didn't allow for much of a debate. We paid and never went back.

A lot of the staff seemed to not care about you or anything else apart from ensuring their tills were correct. After a week in the Chandara this was such a disappointment.

The spa was also bad - we had a pedicure each which was average at best - my wife attempted to get a bikini wax which she stopped half way though as it was terrible.

The pools really make this place - without these we would have been really disappointed. We would recommend the hotel but on the understanding that you need to leave the complex to get nice evening meals.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MDM1
Reviewed November 20, 2008

There are so many excellent reviews for this resort on this site and so I won't add my comments here (as I agree with so much that has already been stated!). What I found missing was reviews of the wedding service at the resort, so here goes...

Our wedding was on the 28th Oct 2008 and we had a magical and wonderful day - and could not have asked for anything more! The resort excels in producing the most gorgeous backdrop for your romantic and special day. With nothing left for you to do but make sure you enjoy every minute of it!

All the flowers and decorations, set up on the lawns overlooking the private beach, were exquisite. We had a choice of color schemes and options for flowers etc and it was as simple as choosing the one we liked best. There was no need for us to have a hand in every detail as the resort had everything covered - although I am confident that if I had had any special requests these would have been accommodated.

The wedding celebrant was an Irishman who was laid back and fun and provided us with options for tasteful and appropriate wording for the ceremony. A short meeting with him at the resort the day before our ceremony was all that was needed to make these arrangements.

We had 2 photographers for approximately 4hrs. The photography began in our separate rooms as we were in the final stages of getting ready, went through the ceremony, included an hour or so of shots taken on the beach as the sun was setting and covered much of the dinner reception. We received an album of 100 shots and we paid the extra to have the CDs of all the photos taken. We ended up with about 300 photos I think (more than I know what to do with!) and they are excellent!! A combination of posed and natural shots and many creative shots. This amount and quality of photography would cost thousands of dollars in Australia - and we paid such a small fraction of that!

The five course set menu was served at a beautiful outdoor table for ourselves and our 14 guests (It seems that there is no wedding party too small or too large for this resort as they have options for any size party). This was set up on the lawns alongside where the ceremony had been an hour or so earlier. The food (we had selected the Italian set menu) was beautiful - so tasty and well presented. And my only issue was I could not eat all of it!

After dinner we released lanterns on the beach (which floated up so high into the night sky), cut our cake with a Samurai sword and shared our first dance on a wooden dance floor on the lawn!! It was all so beautiful, well organized and provided us with so many special moments.

Mr Surin is the wedding coordinator at the resort - and he does a great job making sure everything runs smoothly. He is a lovely man with a smile that just makes you smile in return! He guided us through every decision and accommodated every request - not that we had many. But he helped us organize the music we brought with us - 3 songs for the ceremony and several CDs for the dinner reception and dancing afterwards.

I would highly recommend this resort for weddings. But I would also offer some provisos....This was the perfect wedding for us because it was exactly what we were looking for - relaxed, options available without me needing to direct every detail and a semi-formal feel.

If you are a bride that wants to choose every detail this may not be your wedding. I was also very relaxed about leaving arrangements until we actually arrived at the resort (we were there a week before the wedding). Mr Surin does speak very good English but there were definitely times my partner and I could not understand what he was saying and decided to just hope for the best! Also, whilst he is sometimes very prompt at answering e-mails at other times I would not receive a reply for a week or so and would have to send a follow up e-mail. If these are the types of things that would stress you out I would maybe think twice about this venue. We also got caught out by the financial crisis and had to pay more for everything that we had budgeted for!

That said I would not have changed a thing. For us and our guests this was a perfect day! Get in touch if you have any questions or want to see some pics!

• Stayed: October 2008
2  Thank Futurebride_Adelaide
Reviewed November 11, 2008

My husband, Daughter (20years) & Son (14years) have just returned after 13 WONDERFUL nights at Merlin Beach Resort.
Upon arrival we were greeted with warm smiling faces and a well appreciated cool Cocktail and Wash cloth. Upon checking in to our room, we were greeted with a Rose Petal covered bed (our 25th Wedding Anniversary), and the kids had an interconnecting room - which was spotless.
I have been to Phuket before and stayed in the heart of Patong, it was great to get away from the hustle and bustle and lose yourself in "Paradise". A tuk-tuk for 200baht and a 3 minute trek down the hill is well worth being a little out of the town centre.
I would HIGHLY recommend this Resort to anyone with either young kids or older alike.
Cant wait to return again next year.

Reviewed November 4, 2008

i have just got back stayed from the 20th oct for 9 nights not long
enough this place was amazing the people may not have spoken to much english but the warmth and the smiles said enough for me my husband and i went with our family we were upgraded to a deluxe room that over looked the pool with the swim up bar what a treat' weather was not all that good but when the sun came out it was very hot so happy hour at the swim up bar suited us just fine. A little out of the way but transport was no problems free bus service. there was no need to eat outside this resort as there were so many resturants to chooses from. we do reconmend that if any one goes to the merlin go to the little tiger as you walk out onto the beach were you can get you massages and your hair done and even your washing look to the left up the hill is a resturant looks like a tree house fantastic food make sure you visit just great. will we be going back yes of course just waiting for the dollar to go up again but will stay much longer.

3  Thank justthebest08
Reviewed November 1, 2008

We stayed here 8 nights. The resort is probably 5km out of Patong with a serious hill intervening, so it is a shuttle bus or taxi/tuk-tuk trip into/out of town if you plan to leave the premises. This means you're not as connected with the hustle & bustle of Patong, which isn't a bad thing.

As others have mentioned, it is a large resort with 3 pools, several restaurants and own beachfront. The pools are the big seller for the place.

First impressions for us weren’t good – we arrived around 10pm and reception shares the lobby with a cabaret act at that time of night – couldn’t hear a word the poor woman was saying. But reception staff were invariably helpful and friendly.

Rooms were OK - comfortable, above average size & well maintained. I’d consider it about 3.5 star by Australian standards. All rooms seem to have a balcony or (for ground floor) direct access to pool area. Room has a kettle and bar fridge. In room safe (60 baht/day charge). Internet is available in room via the TV for a fee. If you want to use your own laptop or one of the resort’s PCs this is available for a fee in the games room. (150 baht/hr or 450/day I think – rate at Internet cafes in town was 1 baht/min). No self-serve laundry facilities on site, but laundry service for a fee (40 baht for a pair of undies). Rooms were serviced each day and the staff did a good job.

Others have mentioned limited English of staff - we didn’t find that to be a major problem, but what was of greater concern is that several times we asked staff for directions to different facilities & were given wrong info. I suspect a lot are fairly new & are turned loose with minimal briefing.

Prices in the resort are comparatively expensive. We ate at the hotel buffet one night, pretty basic & 2 of the 4 of us came down with food poisoning. We steered clear of buffets after that, either ordered off the menu (which was good) or ate at some of the several restaurants nearby offsite (which were also good and considerably cheaper).

A big plus was the included breakfast which was good, with a good selection of cereals, breads, fruit & cooked food.

We're not "pool people" so overall, we wouldn’t choose to stay here again, but we wouldn’t be too concerned if we had to.

3  Thank ActRegular_traveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
Avista Hideaway Phuket Patong, MGallery by Sofitel
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 334 in Patong
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket
Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa

Been to Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach? Share your experiences!