We stayed here 8 nights. The resort is probably 5km out of Patong with a serious hill intervening, so it is a shuttle bus or taxi/tuk-tuk trip into/out of town if you plan to leave the premises. This means you're not as connected with the hustle & bustle of Patong, which isn't a bad thing.
As others have mentioned, it is a large resort with 3 pools, several restaurants and own beachfront. The pools are the big seller for the place.
First impressions for us weren’t good – we arrived around 10pm and reception shares the lobby with a cabaret act at that time of night – couldn’t hear a word the poor woman was saying. But reception staff were invariably helpful and friendly.
Rooms were OK - comfortable, above average size & well maintained. I’d consider it about 3.5 star by Australian standards. All rooms seem to have a balcony or (for ground floor) direct access to pool area. Room has a kettle and bar fridge. In room safe (60 baht/day charge). Internet is available in room via the TV for a fee. If you want to use your own laptop or one of the resort’s PCs this is available for a fee in the games room. (150 baht/hr or 450/day I think – rate at Internet cafes in town was 1 baht/min). No self-serve laundry facilities on site, but laundry service for a fee (40 baht for a pair of undies). Rooms were serviced each day and the staff did a good job.
Others have mentioned limited English of staff - we didn’t find that to be a major problem, but what was of greater concern is that several times we asked staff for directions to different facilities & were given wrong info. I suspect a lot are fairly new & are turned loose with minimal briefing.
Prices in the resort are comparatively expensive. We ate at the hotel buffet one night, pretty basic & 2 of the 4 of us came down with food poisoning. We steered clear of buffets after that, either ordered off the menu (which was good) or ate at some of the several restaurants nearby offsite (which were also good and considerably cheaper).
A big plus was the included breakfast which was good, with a good selection of cereals, breads, fruit & cooked food.
We're not "pool people" so overall, we wouldn’t choose to stay here again, but we wouldn’t be too concerned if we had to.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set among forested mountains and lush, tropical landscaped gardens, serenity awaits at Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach. Located on a beautiful secluded stretch of white sandy Tri-Trang Beach, our resort in Phuket, Thailand boasts its own reef and stylish accommodation. We are the ultimate destination for individual travelers, families, weddings and MICE. Three beautifully appointed swimming pools, modern fitness facilities, kids club, Spa & a wide variety of food & beverage. Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach has an outstanding activity program for all ages offering extensive options for the most discerning traveler. The resort's own house reef offers guests colorful underwater adventures (snorkeling and diving) without ever leaving the property. It is also home to Phuket's first sanctuary for butterflies, a unique conservation project aimed at increasing the native butterfly population. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Merlin Beach Hotel Patong
- Merlin Beach Resort Phuket
- Hotel Merlin Beach
- Beach Merlin Resort
- Beach Merlin Phuket Resort
- Merlin Beach Phuket
- Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach Patong