“DISAPPOINTING STAY”

Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach
Ranked #17 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed September 16, 2008

From the moment we stepped into our room our experience with the resort was very upsetting. I organised the stay with my mum and two young girls. We arrived to be given a room that smelt that bad with mildew I walked out of the room and asked for another one that wasn't going to kill us. Mind you we had booked a pool view room and it was a garden view room. We were finally given another room (pool view) which smelt fresher. So the availability was there but they decided to initially give us a room which looked and smelt like it had never been used. It took over an hour for it to be organised meanwhile the girls were very tired after the flight and at 11.30 at night we are still waiting for our room to be organised.

On a number of ocassions I had called to request another towel, or another bottle of water or a sheet which was never given when our room was fixed during the day. Very rudely we were questioned by the service ladies insinuating that we had taken or hidden the items. I was so disgusted that they would even go there. My mother was furious after she wanted to look in our bags. . . bottles of water at 5baht. We normally bought extra water every day but that day we forgot otherwise we wouldn't have bothered asking for it. With the sheet they wanted me to sign a form saying that if it wasn't returned i would be charged 700baht. I honestly couldn't believe the service. I felt terrible being there and I am such an easy going person who has no expectations other than to be treated respectfully.

The food at the hotel especially the breakfast was very average. I was very surprised at the low quality and variety in their food buffet. The only nice restuarant was the Thai Restuarant near the gym.

My mother was so uspet about the overall service and treatment. I tried to cover it up and keep the atmosphere cheerful however it wasn't always that easy.

The best part of the stay was the pools. The pool area was beautiful and the kids enjoyed it when the weather allowed it. Unfortunately we had 4 sunny days out of 14 days.

Massages on the beach were great. The was three different ones. I tried all of them and the best was the one to the right.

I honestly recommend not staying here if you want good service and to be treated like a vip. Other people who stayed at the same time mentioned the abruptness of staff.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Sydneychrissy
There are newer reviews for Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach

Reviewed September 15, 2008

I stayed at the Merlin beach resort for one week in May. The hotel itself was nice enough but my experience there has been completely soured since.. I accidentally left some jewellery behind in my room and it was never located. Now this hotel won't even return my calls / emails to acknowledge that it happened (even after looking into the matter at the time) for my travel insurance claim. Interestingly when I enquire via the reservations part of the website I get a very quick response but no follow-up after I tell them what I need. This is not what I call customer service! very disappointing..

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank DanCMelbourne
Reviewed September 7, 2008

Our Family (my husband and me and our 3 kids age 17, 11 and 11 months and my parents) spent 9 amazing days at this beautiful resort.
On arrival we had a speedy checkin...with fantastic service from staff..cool towels.. cool welcome drink in a beautiful lobby lounge area.
We had connecting superior pool view rooms which were lovely with a great view of the pool and my parents had pool access room which is unbeatable!!!
The resort grounds were immaculate..there was some refurbishment going on opposite side of where we were staying so it didnt affect us at all. All the pools are glorious and we swam in different one each day.
Buffett breakfast was great...cant find a thing to complain about here. Staff again were fantastic...and they all doted on our 11 month old!
We had a meal in each restaurant at the resort and they were all lovely...but our favorite place for dinner was the Little Tiger on the Hill. We went here 3 times and each meal was absolutely beautiful and at least half price of resorts restaurants. And the view and atmosphere and lovely staff were the best!! Dont miss out on eating at this place !!
We also had our laundry done by the ladies on the beach about 70 baht per kilo (the first lot before you reach the steps to go up to restaurant) and they also braided our daughters hair for 500baht. Very lovely ladies.
We went into Patong on Resort bus a few times and got taxi back which was usually 300 baht. Patong was very busy and lots of fun but glad we stayed out of the hustle and bustle of it.
We loved our stay here and all the staff were fantastic especially housekeeping ladies.
Our only gripe was in room safe was not complinentary and cost 60 baht a day to use. But this was a minor irratation on our brilliant holiday!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank sparkles2
Reviewed August 26, 2008

This is an excellent resort, probably the best we stayed in for our whole thailand trip.

Lovely pools, and a cool little beach out the front.

Food was good, not incredible, but we defiantly enjoyed it!

It is a fair distance from Patong beach, but tuk tuks are only around 200baht from right outside the door.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scott S
Reviewed August 15, 2008

my boyfriend and i stayed here for only 3 nights and it just wasn't long enough. we loved it. it is located a little bit out of town but there is a free shuttle bus twice a day to take you into patong beach and back but there were always tuk tuks out the front anyway.i guess the only down fall to this is that there is not a lot of room to barter the price because it is definatly too far to walk. if you are are someone that is willing to brave the streets on a motorbike then it would be ideal to hire one for your whole stay here and not have to worry about taxi's etc. We spent a week at the banthai resort first so were happy not going out every day.
The resort has the most amazing pools each located close to the rooms. 1 in particular was perfect for families and young children. actually we thought the whole place was ideal for people with kids because there was always something to do day or night. the only thing we didnt like was that you were supposed to return your towel each day by 8pm or you would be charged a small amount. if you went out in the evening your not going to bother with towel returns! we were happy though to see that we had not been charged for keeping ours so maybe its just an empty threat!
highly recomend the resterant on the hill which seems to be a bit of a secret. its located at the beach end of the resort just to the left of the beach and up some steep steps. great food and really cheap.
the massage ladies on the left side of the beach were way too pushy and just not very friendly we found but the ones on the right (where you could also hire snorkels and flippers) were just lovely.
the beach is extremely rocky so not great for kids but if you swim out just a little bit it is fine. tropical fish everywhere. not the cleanest water but still clear enough for snorkling.
the merlin is probably ideal for people that are on a bit of budget but still want a luxury holiday that you just could.nt get at home. (what we consider luxury anyway)food and drinks were what we expected and still cheaper than home!!
there were plenty of different places to eat at the resort all great quality and well priced. i remember only one that was very expensive but the rest were fine.
we booked a half day tour from the resort to the phuket zoo which was great. we didnt expect to see tigers and have photo's with them so that was a fantastic bonus. cost 100 baht for a photo and then they will take heaps on your own camera too. not all that much else to see there except the elephant show but it was still a good cheap afternoon.

all in all we look forward to stayin at the merlin again and for longer!!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sunlover76Melbourne
Reviewed August 11, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Merlin Beach resort for our honeymoon in Feb '07'.
We stayed for 9nights in a pool access room. Only bad thing about the room was there wasn’t much sun over the pool so it was quite cold and we didn’t swim in there much. There is a larger main pool with a swim up bar which was great but don’t recommend eating in the pool. Eating and water shouldn’t mix. Great to sit and have a cocktail thought. Defiantly recommend ‘sex on the beach' (cocktail) and tequila sunrises. yummmmmmy. Food was great loved the nasi gorang.
Best restaurant was the Italian one. Ate there the last night and had a great feed of steak and veggies. Bit pricy though. Things were pricy in the resort but heaps cheaper in patong. Bought beer and water from the supermarket and took it back to the resort.
Didn’t eat outside the resort other than McDonalds and KFC, Kinda got turned off when we seen them cleaning fish in the gutter.
Markets are great in patong, but one tip go to the smaller hidden shops cos you will get things heaps cheaper than the shops on the street. And remember walk away cos they will keep hounding you. You buy... You buy...
Anyway back to the resort. The only thing I will strongly suggest is don’t leave any valuables laying around. We left two VIP tickets to Thai boxing beside the bed one afternoon and when we returned that night to get ready to go we found that our tickets had been STOLEN by house keeping. We rang and complained didn’t help us much. The house keeper on juty then came to the room and we told her were we left them and she said she knew nothing. We said if they are not returned our tickets we will be charging them for two new tickets. Them some how one of our tickets appeared under the table. Sure... Sure... but the second one was never found.
Lucky that we booked VIP tickets cos we reserved seats with our names on them.
If we didn’t we would have had to buy a new ticket. Tickets were $60 AUS each. Defiantly a must though.

Over all Resort was great and had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Andy1984
Reviewed July 31, 2008

this hotel is lovely. its location is great. its by patong beach but just a 5 min taxi drive away. so it is in a nice secluded area but also very close to everything ! the pools (3 of them) are lovely, the food is good and the rooms are nice too. all in all a great hotel and would recommend to all!

Stayed: July 2008
6  Thank yishailast
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
Avista Hideaway Phuket Patong, MGallery by Sofitel
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 328 in Patong
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket

Been to Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach? Share your experiences!