We stayed here as a couple in November 2013. My sister her husband and 2 young children also stayed at the same time. Reading the other reviews most of what is said already is true.
The room was a reasonable size, and very well cleaned. Large bathroom and good water pressure in the shower. The bed was firm and comfortable. As for the beds being too firm, if you like a very soft bed I would avoid anywhere in Asia.
The grounds are nice with 3 Large pools clean and well maintained - No one was ill from using the pools and their certainly were not moldy as some have claimed. The beach is very pretty on a nice day, and as mentioned on the hotels website - is not suitable for swimming. If the pools are not what you want their are many beaches a short and very cheap taxi ride away.
We ate the buffet breakfast,as a buffet it was ok as most buffet's are. We also ate at the At the Sea restaurant and the Thai restaurant both of which were quite good, neither were outstanding. We also had poolside lunch and ate in the buffet for dinner. 4 Adults and 2 children and no illness at all for 10 days so obviously and claim of dubious standards is quite unfounded.
The hotel is out of town and if your energetic you can walk, bit much for some on a hot day - takes about 25 minutes. A taxi into town is very cheap (300 Baht) about 10 US/AU dollars. If you want cheaper you can always just hook up with another couple in the foyer and share the cost. This happened to us another couple approached us and said hey you going into town, wanna share the taxi? So we did, although in saying that I am happy to pay the 10 dollars. Being out of town this is not the place to stay if your in town for the bars and nightlife and this is why we liked it.
My last comment is on the staff, they were lovely, warm friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. I did not see any rude staff, although I did see many rude customers. People seem to get particularly frustrated with the language barrier. The front desk staff are all quite skilled and multi lingual and very helpful. The remainder speak small amounts of various languages. We need to remember we are in a foreign country, most of the staff are Thai and they speak Thai. Its really a bit much too expect a waiter who is 18 years old and earning 1-2 dollars an hour to be fluent in English, German, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, French, Etc. I say approach the staff the way you would like to be approached. Smile ( amazing how a smile can make you both feel calmer) , be calm and friendly and try to use not to many words and speak slowly, if unable to help or understand you they will get a senior staff member who can, just be patient.
Overall a good hotel, particularly for families in a quiet relaxed location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set amongst forested mountains and lush, tropical landscaped gardens, serenity awaits at Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach. Located on a beautiful secluded stretch of white sandy Tri-Trang Beach, the resort boasts its own reef and stylish accommodation. Our resort is the ultimate destination for individual travelers, families, weddings and MICE. Three beautifully appointed swimming pools, modern fitness facilities, kids club, Spa & a wide variety of food & beverage. Our resort has an outstanding activity program for all ages offering extensive options for the most discerning traveler. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TravelUp, Travelocity, Orbitz, Marriott, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Merlin Beach Hotel Patong
- Merlin Beach Resort Phuket
- Hotel Merlin Beach
- Beach Merlin Resort
- Beach Merlin Phuket Resort
- Merlin Beach Phuket
- Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach Patong