“AMAZING!!”

Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach
Ranked #17 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Went on a trip to Thailand with 10 friends and we all stayed at Merlin Beach Resort. When we first got to the hotel, our reaction was WOW! Welcome drinks were welcomed with open arms, and when we got to our room we couldn't of been happier. My boyfriend and I had a pool side room, which I recommend, not even five steps from the bed and we were relaxing in the cool water. Our room was always cleaned, even when we forgot to leave the sign on the door to make up our room. Loved the towel animals we got everyday, the penguin was my favourite! The breakfast buffet was delicious and room service was prompt and tasty (definitely had our fair share of BLT's) Happy hour in the lobby was our favourite time, and the Seafood Buffet at the "At Sea" restaurant was mouth-watering!! Staff were so friendly and attended to our every need. The "Good View Massage" on the hill is also amazing! Had a massage every day! Little Tiger Restaurant spoilt my taste buds, worth the walk up the hill! Wishing I was still in paradise, will be back for sure!! Thank you to all the staff for everything :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mellytea
There are newer reviews for Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Booked the hotel through hotels.com but was told by a rude front desk manager that there's no rooms available. After calling toll free to hotels.com for like an hour we finally was given two rooms. I was with my wife and almost 3 yo daughter and two American friends.

from the estate, looks nice and pretty cool!. Took at least 10minutes to walk to our room. Room 1112 and 1114. We took 1112. Upon opening the room, 2 of the lights don't work, the room looks a hundred years old, neighboring was smoking and the smell came right into the room! Luckily it was our friends room and they decided not to smoke. They have stupidly tiled the entire room including the bathroom with polished tiles! Extremely slippery bathroom! Next, can't blame them as its eh..like a 100 year old hotel, we tried to give our daughter a shower but it was horrible as there was no handheld shower!! Only the static shower!

The room was at the corner of a walkway, and its extremely noisy with kids running up and down on both sides of the room, the aisle and the swimming pool outside! Ooh, before I forget, they do have electric mosquito repellents in the room, what's it for? You got me damn right! MOSQUITOS!!!

Next came the heavy rain! We wanted to go out for slate lunch and know what, you have no choice but to walk some parts of the long path under the rain!!

I really don't know for those who rated the hotel as excellent or even good, maybe you have not travelled far enough! We paid usd140 per from per night! HONESTLY, I WILL NEVER EVER EVEN THINK OF STAYING IN THIS HOTEL EVER AGAIN, AND I WILL DEFINITELY ADVISE ALL OUT THERE TO JUST FORGET IT! Go for baan Thai, marriot, even holiday inn express!! TOTALLY RUBBISH HOTEL! I hope I can last the next 4 nights here! What a mistake!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel, please!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank travlmaestro
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Having visited Thailand a number of times in the past, it was a great disappointment that this resort did not meet the high standard of other resorts such as the Centra Karon located near the Karon beach.
It is in my opinion that the Merlin Beach Resort failed to meet similar standards as the main pool was very dirty, bathroom shower had not been cleaned for some time ( Large amount of grime build up), toilet overflowed, air conditionor and the main bedroom phone failed to work. the front counter reception staff had to be requested a number of times for these issues to be looked at, even after this the shower remained dirty and was not seen to as far as I am aware.

Further to these issues I found it insulting that for all items brought from the resort your were charged and additional 17% ( 7% vat & 10% service charge) I can understand the Vat charge as this is related to the Thai government and their requirements however the service charge of 10% is a bit rich as I would very much dealt the the additional income would find the staff concerned. If this additional charge is intended to be for the staff of the resort I can not see why the staff member providing the service is unable to be directly tipped.

Buses ( hotel) do not run on a regular basis to Patong and only run a couple of times, back to the hotel, this can be difficult if you have young children.

If you intend on staying at this hotel be prepared to eat the same breakfast on a daily basis and drink cold tea and coffee if you are lucky enough to have it served to you. Enough of my rant have a great holiday if you intend on going to Thailand.

Tips, only pay 250 baht to get from hotel to Potong t shirts are going for about 150 baht.

Our family holiday was 12 July - 22 July 2013.
Room number 4234

Room Tip: Shop around, read a number of review pages, the highest price hotel is not always the best
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank regular_traveller319
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was our 3rd stay at the Merlin Beach Resort and we still enjoyed it immensely
The resort always suits our needs, staff are great!
A big thank you again to Naiyana, our housekeeper!
We never want to leave
The only disappointment this time was check-in...
Our first visit we had 2 Deluxe rooms (travelled with children) and were up on the 4th floor overlooking the main pool
When we arrived for our second visit (3 rooms this time as brought more family) we were welcomed as return guests (message on the board at reception, fruit and note in room) and the best surprise, an upgrade to beachfront rooms!!
This time, we weren't even greeted as returning guests at all, in fact we had to tell them at reception that this was our 3rd visit! We were taken to our room which was again a Deluxe but it was on the ground floor, tucked away in the corner, overlooking the garden (which is lovely) but it was considered pool view
I have never asked for a room change before but after having lovely views for our first 2 stays, I really wanted some sort of view, felt a bit like we were being downgraded
The room itself was beautiful as always, but we were moved to another room in the same category (reception were very helpful here and did so without fuss)which had a lovely outlook, overlooking the other pool and ocean
Free wifi was a nice surprise and worked well throughout the resort
We had a lot of room service for dinner in our room as my husband was recovering from surgery and it was always prompt and delicious
There is a lovely new little bar area on the beach run by Zaw, a perfect place to sit and have a drink before dinner, Zaw was great to have a chat with!
Probably the only thing missing at the resort is their own bar area, closer to or on the beach
The pool bar staff were fun and friendly as always!
The Little tiger, as everyone knows is a good dinner if you don't feel like going into Patong or eating at the hotel, but don't miss another local restaurant with great food and great view. Don't remember what it is called, but if you walk out the front of the hotel and turn left, it's about a 5min walk
We will be back again next year!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amy M
Reviewed August 7, 2013

After staying here in 2009 my husband and I returned for eight nights in July. We thought it might not be as good as the first time and were a bit worried. How wrong we were! We were treated like royalty. We were greeted with beautiful smiles and our names were even written up in gold lettering on the board welcoming new guests. Next we were presented with floral necklaces, a delicious fruit drink and cold face cloths. As we were returning guests we were told that we would have free Wifi in our room for our stay. Fantastic! We were able to Skype back home no trouble.
Our room was a pool access room that had been recently renovated. It was beautiful! Just step out the door and into a huge pool that winds around in a kind of figure eight, with a three story waterfall at the other end. We were also left a complimentary fruit platter in our room with a lovely printed out note welcoming us back and wishing us a memorable stay. The room maid was amazing and each day we would return to find a new animal that she had created with the towels, left on our bed. So clever!
Yes, the Little Tiger restaurant is a must. It is located along the beach to the left up a little hill. The garlic prawns were heaven and so cheap! I had two massages at the massage hut to the right along the beach. It was bliss listening to the waves roll onto the beach while having an hour long massage for only 300 Baht.
The breakfast buffet was fantastic with plenty to choose from. Happy hour was on Tuesdays and Saturdays at the main pool bar. Yum! There were half price cocktails in the lobby too. The free shuttle goes about 6 times into Patong. If you pre-book the shuttle and when you get there, you find that it is already full, don't worry, as they put on an air conditioned van straight away. Patong is about 3km away. It was lovely being just far enough away from all the smells and crowds of Patong.
We would love to return to this resort. The 3 pools are massive and the tropical gardens beautiful. with fountains, waterfalls and little bridges everywhere. The staff are so friendly and they are always smiling and working so hard to please their guests.. Thank you for such a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: If you are traveling as a couple and love the water then a pool access room is fantastic.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Janine3691
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband & I enjoyed the pool access room immensely for a 12 day escape in Phuket. Our room was quite spacious & the house keeping team did an awesome job. Only reservation that I had was the limited lunch menu items & the cost of the meals. We enjoyed (nearly daily) cocktails on the decking watching the sunsets at the Zea Bar. The running bill costs were accessible via the interactive TV. Wifi was free and connectivity easy from our room & around the resort with personal log ins provided. We opted to partake in a cocktail making class run by the resort and were the only two participants which was value for money making (&drinking) cocktails during the class. The happy hours were value for money also at the lobby bar with sufficient fans to circulate the air. The drawback was the lounge band playing music as if we were on an old people's cruise ship however we survived! The shuttle bus could have been run hourly to save the pain of the fixed price taxis service into Patong of AU $10 into the city each time we missed the two morning options or the later evening options but if you can find others in the resort that are heading into town then I would recommend that you share the fare! The pools were massive! We opted to go to the Family massage on the beach for our massages (300 baht for an hour)but also indulged on the last day in the resorts spa retreat - amazing but expensive. We also went to Family massage for our laundry too where the pricing was more reasonable. The private beach front was awesome to explore when the tide was out with rockpools with decent sized marine life and with the beach a spattering of crabs and hermit crabs. The concierge was helpful, the tour desk lady was great in assisting us to top up our thai SIM card with credit. I changed money in the resort a couple of times and it wasn't too different in rate from in the city. It is 5-10 minutes out of town and the buffet breakfast a little repetitive and again slightly disappointing menu options with higher costs but we understand that it is a resort in that aspect. I will definitely return with my kids as the location is perfect for families who want to stay a little removed from the hustle & bustle but are close enough to get there easily. Well done Merlin Beach Resort - I enjoyed my stay!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MeaganLouise
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

It's a great hotel that has lots if activities for the whole family and is definitely recommend to stay at by my friends,family and of course myself. Overall a great hotel with great service that's highly recommended

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Hotel_lover234
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
Avista Hideaway Phuket Patong, MGallery by Sofitel
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 328 in Patong
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket

Been to Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach? Share your experiences!