“An oasis.”

Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach
Ranked #17 of 329 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I (aged 55 and 60) had a week at the lovely Merlin Beach resort in May 2013 and could not have been happier. We arrived at 1 am to smiling desk staff with cool towels and drinks and were quickly escorted to our room. We had taken other peoples advice on trip advisor and booked a pool access room and boy we were so happy with it. Lovely sized and appointed rooms. Gorgeous bed and bathroom but the star of the show is rolling off your bed and walking a few steps straight down into the pool at your verandah door step. It was just a beautful spot to sit and have coffee or drinks and just slide into the pool when it got hot. Our room was a perfect aspect (room 4134 I think) because we got a bit of morning and midday sun on the deck but come afternoon when all the other rooms were bathed in hot afternoon sun, we were in the beautiful shade sipping our drinks and watching the birds in the trees above us.
The food in all the different restaurants were really lovely , Lots of variety and cuisines to choose from. The breakfast was by far the best i have seen in lots of resorts. The egg station was really popular and i noticed they really catered well for families with children. The many pools were really lovely to explore and even though there were lots of families there, it was a really nice quiet resort and after 8.30 at night , you couldn't hear a pin drop. I had some lovely beauty treatments at the spa which were very cheap and don't even get me started on the beach massages in the huts right on the private beach in front of the resort. I tried all three of them at different times and they are all good. My husband even had a pedicare and massage on the beach. Just bliss and so cheap - $10 for a full hour.
Merlin Beach is only 5 mins out of Patong and we usually got a taxi when we wanted to go into town *($8) I didn't bother with the hot ,windy tuk tuk's. Prefer the air-con car. So pleased we didn't stay in the busy hot town - it was nice to go in and shop and then escape back to our quiet oasis.
The staff were so lovely and obliging . I didn't find the language barrier a problem at all like some people complain about. Every afternoon I would ring room service to have a bucket of ice sent to our room to have afternoon drinkies on our verandah and there they would be in minutes. Our rooms were serviced every day with lovely fresh sheets and towels and also beach towels.
It is a resort that everyone would like I think. There were lots of young ones there and I think they were more than happy to go into town for the night clubs etc and then relax around the resort and private beach during the day. I was told this was a first class resort and I can't wait to go back again. It was really good value for money from the rooms to the food and drinks and atmosphere and I can't wait to go back there again. Definitely go for the pool access room if you go. !!

Room Tip: definitely have a pool access room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank BrisbaneJools

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just returned from staying here in June 2013. Great resort with superb facilities and service. we tried all three beach massage places. Our group agreed that the Family Massage place to the right as you look out to the sea was the best. Cost 300 baht for an hour massage. They also do manicures and nail painting etc but the full body massage (you can specify soft, medium or hard) is superb. Perhaps try medium before you jump into hard. Need to have just underwear or bathers or shorts so ladies wear something easy to slip on and off. They cover parts of you while you are lying there.

Room Tip: Our group of 10 had pool rooms and some had rooms on level 3 of block 2 (eg Room 2317) and we were a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Edcat
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had a wedding there in which the wedding planner was excellent.she did not miss a thing and everything was superb.the hotel has some staffing problems in a couple of places which was the back beach bar and the Thai restaurant where the people here were going to stay the day and refresh themselves but the beer was warm and staff needed a lot more training in the speed of service which could take 10 minutes for a beer .consequently we went to patong and refreshed ourselves.overall the hotel was very good.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank maree_gavin
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This resort is lovely. It is on its own private beach. The pools are fantastic. Plenty of restaurants that are well priced. Some rooms are a little tired, but one wing was already being renovated. I would recommend this resort.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Cyberchick
Reviewed June 17, 2013

So my boyfriend and I are a young couple from UK and had never been to Thailand before. We were so delighted when we turned up to the hotel to be told that we have been upgraded to the deluxe room overlooking the main pool. When I walked into our room I almost could held back the excitement for the holiday. A modern large room, with a nice bIg bathroom all tastefully decorated. The balcony for our room was perfect as it was shelter from any rain and wind that we got so we still able to sit outside and enjoy the Thai air.
The pools were massive. The main one is full of character, set beautifully with palm trees and plenty of deck chairs to relax. The bar in the pool works out to be about £4 a cocktail which for UK standards is pretty cheap and with happy hour being twice a week, makes them super cheap at £2 each. And let me tell you... they are so tasty. Holiday in a glass. You don't have to pay there and then either and put it on your hotel bill tab.
We had breakfast everyday and the food had a great choice and range. We ordered room service a couple night when we weren’t feeling 100% and again the price wasn't bad. The food I would say was nice but I defo recommend going self catering as there are many better places outside the hotel for food which works out ridiculously cheap (£8 a meal including beer ect). As mentioned by many others on trip advisor, I really would recommend trying out the family own place on top of the hill next to the hotel's beach called 'Little tiger' because the food there is sensational. The flavours are mouth watering and the price will cost you around 300 Baht a meal so £6.
The shuttle was useful but at times very busy and we did feel a little crammed on, but it was free so whose to complain.
The staff were exceptional and very friendly. Some may not speak the best of English but we were in a country where English is not their first language so I was happy they were making the effort.
My only problem was the beds being too hard. I ended up sleeping up of the cover to give more padding, but I suppose each to their own taste as my boyfriend did not have a problem (Men). Overall the hotel was one of the best I have stayed in and was great value for money and would happily return for another holiday.

Room Tip: Deluxe is better and worth the extra money.
16  Thank Twiggycmt
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We arrived here after checking out from Dusit Thani in Phuket Laguna, so I may be at times comparing the great luxury and facilities I just experienced at the Dusit.

Merlin is quite central to Patong City (5min in taxi). The resort lobby is huge, but lack lighting. Probably power saving. The check in staff was very friendly. Welcomed by a lovely glass of juice and fresh towel. Wi-Fi is free but make sure you ask for more than one access if there are more than one equipment that will be accessing the internet.

We were guided to our room, which was magnificent, modern. We booked the Premium Beachfront room, which was facing the beach, you could hear the waves crashing onto the rocks from our room.

The spa is very well priced. You will find that the prices are similar to what it is in Patong city.

Not very impressed with the Thai restaurant as it was bit overpriced.

Breakfast Bar is very average, huge setup but it lacks the professional staff. The food was at times over cooked/burnt. If you are a cappuccino person then you will be disappointed that you will get your coffee from the Nescafe machine...not nice. I ordered the omelette and it took forever. The staff member seemed so disinterested in his job and was more busy chatting to his fellow colleague. Overall breakfast wasn't that great.

Let’s see what the second day hold for us. Keep you posted.

Room Tip: Premium Beachfront Rooms
1  Thank Shandils
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We returned home yesterday from a week spent at the Merlin Beach Resort outside Patong. It's a lovely resort with great pools, terrific clean facilities and a beautiful setting. Our room was well maintained throughout the stay and the staff were friendly and helpful. I found the beds a little hard, but not unlike other beds I've experienced in Asia previously.

My only real criticism is in regards to the free shuttle that travels into Patong and Phuket. It departs about 5 times a day (10am, 11am and a few more times) then returns from the Patong Merlin at odd times including at 4:45pm and 10:15pm. The shuttle was frequently late and the fact that it only completes this journey a few times each day means that it is often crammed with people. The resort needs to provide a more frequent service for their customers. This was a particular issue at night when looking to eat out you either have to eat very early or hang around very late to make the 10:15 shuttle. Whilst all of this would be mitigated by the use of taxis and tuk tuks, the cost of each journey can be anywhere from 250 to 600 baht depending on time of day/night and weather conditions (we had to catch a taxi home at 9pm after a torrential downpour and they wouldn't pick us up for anything less than 600 baht). This could add up to thousands of baht on top of your holiday costs, so be aware of this when booking the resort. I would urge the resort to increase the shuttle services for their customers, and believe that were they to do so many more people would enjoy this terrific place.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Deluxe rooms on the south side (which is the quieter side of the resort) and found th...
5  Thank Jo B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 329 in Patong
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa

Been to Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach? Share your experiences!