“A fantastic hotel in Paradise.”

Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach
Ranked #16 of 334 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I read some of the critical reviews before I travelled with interest, particularly the ones criticising the staff. What a load of rubbish. This hotel is fantastic, great room, excellent facilities and most of all charming, attentive and helpful staff. Some people are always looking to find fault. The majority reviews is what I took notice of when I selected this hotel. I was not disappointed.

I do not usually go to resorts as I am an older traveller who prefers to avoid children when I want to relax. However this resort is so big you can easily separate yourself from the children’s pool and relax by a huge quiet pool or even a small secluded pool. You can do what you want. Whilst the beach is close by and beautiful and the water inviting, the rocks make it difficult to get in and out of the water, particularly impossible at low tide which is a shame.

The restaurants on site are OK, some meals were a bit indifferent, some were excellent. I was particularly disappointed with the Sea Food restaurant which overlooks the sea and is a lovely place to sit to eat; unfortunately the food was not good. But there is plenty of choice of restaurants and there is the Little Tiger just off the beach not part of the hotel.

The other negative is that if you want to go offsite you have to get some form of transport. There is free bus from the resort to Patong or Phuket towns, or the taxi to Patong is only 300 bhats, about £6

We usually like to walk out to go to different restaurants in the evening when we go away. you need to get a taxi to Patong which is the closest town to do that. At night this is not a pleasant place if you do not want to get involved in the less desirable aspect of Thailand. That is why we tended to stay on the resort.

Location and beach is the only reason I did not give this a 5 rating. it is not a criticism of the hotel and staff.

7  Thank Steve B
Write a ReviewReviews (2,352)

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Lovely hotel just outside Patong. Rooms big and spacious, we had a pool access room which was wonderful and quieter than the other pools. Restaurants were good but not great. Happy hour happened twice a day 4-6 and 10-12 which was very popular. Would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank finny6
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Very nice hotel, especially for families with children. I liked the three large swimming pools, one of which had a children’s area. This meant the smalls all congregated there leaving the other two pools for adults. Relief all around for mummies and daddies and grumpy old farts like me.

Lots of sun beds and very nice public areas. I liked the main lobby and the band on each night whilst I used the free wifi.

The small beach had a small private bar and three massage parlors, beer and massages very cheap and reasonable.

Larger than average rooms with nice bath and walk-in shower, very compfortable with lots of storage space. I especially liked looking down on the quiet beautifully laid out pool 3 with animal fountains and islands.

Restaurants ok and breakfast good, but the short walk up the steps to the Little Tiger was well worthwhile. Jump in a tuk-tuk to Town for 300bht and spoilt for choice of wide variety of cheap, excellent restaurants.

A good choice for a nice holiday with all amenities and good location.

Room Tip: Little Tiger restaurant worth a visit. Cold beer very reasonable at the beach bar. Don't by Ray...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pgooch
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I spent four overnights (2 - 6 January 2013) at the Merlin Beach Resort to relax after seven busy days of travelling in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Check-in was swift. Room was spacious and clean. Bathroom had bathtub and walk-in shower, which wasn't always the case at the other hotels I stayed at in Thailand. I had asked to be allocated a room away from families with young babies and kids...this was provided along with a non-smoking room request. The room had a kettle which I find handy for the odd cup of tea. I found the room mini-fridge to be very noisy when trying to get to sleep at night. I had thought it was the sound of the air conditioning unit on the roof above my room...but on my last day realized the fridge was the culprit.

The trio/quartet who entertained in the lobby area were good at providing easy listening music. The hotel staff were polite and efficient. The buffet breakfast at Bhukit Coffee Shop had ample selection for everyone and supplies were replenished constantly. The loungers around the three pools had seen better days....wooden, heavy and clumsy to move. The card system for beach towels I find irritating. I prefer you give me towels and I leave them on my lounger when finished. The beach was enjoyable, in a little cove, not long enough to walk for miles in the morning.

The Italian restaurant La Gondola was so-so for dinner. The Bhukit Coffee Shop for dinner....I sent the soup back as it wasn't the one I ordered. I was still charged for it and the waitress did not want to remove it from my bill.

The Merlin Beach Resort is an OK 4-star hotel but nothing exceptional. I had requested a hotel outside of the main area of Patong Beach. It's a fairly secluded area which suited me fine. Should I return to Phuket, I would probably stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: I was in Room 4430 - top floor - away from main building hubbub. Only commotion was when a young ...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank QueenofCarlisle
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stay in a deluxe room with pool and partial seaview. Room is clean and spacious. Nice pools and poolside bar's happy hour from 4-6pm makes everybody happy. Location was good for me as i rented a bike. Great peaceful location. Avoid paradise beach as its overcrowded.

4  Thank Seanranger
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The attraction here is that you do not need to leave the property to have a fantastic holiday. The pools are great, the restaurants are great, the beach is great and I could go on. Whilst the property is out of town, a free shuttle serivce is available and the location only enhances as you are truly away from the hustle and bustle. A definite winner and will certainly return on my next trip.

Room Tip: The Pool Access Rooms are a fantastic option if you are fortunate regarding availability.
8  Thank LMLinVIC
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We had one of our best family holidays here. The rooms were extremely clean and tidy. And there was a huge variety of places to eat in the resort. The children absolutely loved the amazing choice of pools, and traveling with another family we had the most fantastic experience.
I highly recommend the Merlin Beach Resort, we loved it so much we practically spent our whole holiday in the resort. We had access to our own private beach, the hotels spa was amazing and best value for money. I would highly recommend this amazing resort to any family planning to stay in Phuket!!

Room Tip: We had 2 adjoining standard rooms, with my 8 and 9 year old, which was perfect!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Vicky A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
Avista Hideaway Phuket Patong, MGallery by Sofitel
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 334 in Patong
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket
Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa

Been to Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach? Share your experiences!