“Beautiful Hotel”

Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach
Ranked #17 of 331 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed April 8, 2008

We stayed at the Merlin Beach for 8 nights in April.

The hotel was beautiful. The rooms were very spacious and private. The staff were very helpful and polite. The pools were amazing, and not too crowded: we always got a sun bed no matter what time of day. The restuaraunts gave a good selection of international and thai food and snacks. The only thing I didn't like was the entertainment.

The hotel is located outside Patong and it is a short tuk tuk ride to the centre. There is nothing around the hotel other than a small restaraunt, but the hotel has everything you need.

I would also recommend visting Karon which is quieter and more relaxed than Patong.

We did the canoe tour of Phang Nga and speed boat to Phi Phi, both were excellent.

Stayed: April 2008
3  Thank SJW99
Write a ReviewReviews (2,306)

Reviewed April 4, 2008

I stayed here from late march untill early April. I had booked a deluxe room and my preference was for a high pool view room. I knew that I wouldnt mind a pool access room however after I read about the supposed 'overbookings' i decided to give that a miss and just stick with deluxe. Upon arriving at hotel I asked if I could upgrade to a pool access room and luckily for me there was 1 available starting from our second day. The first deluxe room was great, fantastic views of entire bar pool and beach. We even thought about cancelling our pool access room however the next day when we moved to pool access room we were defintly not dissapointed. We paid around 6500baht extra but I believe its a small price to pay for this upgrade and also better than paying it before then missing out.....
ok now about the resort, Breakfast was fantastic! I cant say anything bad about the breakfast. The pools are awesome and sooo relaxing. You wont get bored at the pools thats for sure... The resorts pools are divided into 3 areas, I classified them as follows: kids(family), singles and adventerous (ie pool bar, games, drinking) and the romantics pool which was the pool access accomodation pool which also had the waterfall. All pools were excellent.
All rooms are comfortable, excellent airconditioning, water pressure is excellent and the housekeeping is prompt and efficient.
From the Merlin (patong outskirts) you cant walk to main tourists area's. You defintly will need a taxi. We hired a bike and loved it. Its not hard to drive as long as u drive sensably and stay to the right. This enabled us to save a great amount on taxi fares which are too overinflated....
Also overinflated I thought was the merlins internet service, mini bar prices and western food choices. I thoguht prices were a little high however thats the advantage of being located further from patong hence no competition..
restaraunt on top of hill is great food and much cheaper than hotel( hotel food was still yum however not at prices that i would expect).

We went to massage place on the right (facing beach) and were really happy with their massage.
overall we were very happy with this hotel, it was total luxury and we loved being away from the heart of hustle and bustle.
i recommend hiring a car/scooter as this allows u to see soooo much more of patong and the island...

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank peter l
Reviewed April 3, 2008

Stayed here on our honeymoon and were very happy with our choice.

Positives
• Very helpful staff
• Beautiful resort with three pools, waterfall
• We were upgraded to a pool entry deluxe room which was great!
•Good breakfast and nice Thai food at fine dinning restaurant (not the one in the hotel overlooking the beach)

Negatives
• Over the hill from Pantong – 200 bhat taxi ride each way
• No other hotels in the close vicinity
• You are held at the mercury of taxi drivers in getting around Phuket
• Beach is pretty rocky

Tips
• Try the Goodview restaurant on the hill to the left on the beach, green curry to die for.
• Instead of getting ripped of the taxi drivers across the road about an airport transfer (900 bhat), ask a taxi driver that is dropping you off at the hotel from town what they will charge to take you to the airport, should be at least 200 bhat less.
• Majority of the guests appear to be Scandinavian families.

3  Thank Blueram
Reviewed March 26, 2008

Whilst we enjoyed the resort immensely for the 7 days we were guests, we had CONFIRMED AND GUARANTEED a Pool Access room with our agent in Australia before we left.

We arrived quite late at night and when we checked in, you guessed it, the room was not available for TWO NIGHTS.

Thats 2 nights out of 7 - over 25% of our holiday time.

We were put into a 2nd floor pool view Superior room for 2 nights, but it did really put a dampner on our whole holiday. We spoke to 5-6 couples that had the same experience !

To us, it just looked like they grabbed our booking, so we wouldnt go to the Holiday Inn or Banthai which also have pool access rooms.

We were also offered 4 dinner coupons and some free drinks. If this happens to you.... REFUSE THEM and request a refund on the difference. DO NOT SIGN ANY AGREEMENT that they put in front of you. Simply move to the lesser room and make a claim against the hotel. The buffet food was terrible, and who wants to eat at the resort every night anyway ?

We also found the 200-300 Baht taxi ride into Patong a bit painful as there was no other food places or minimarts close by the hotel. You really were trapped in the resort when you got there.

We liked being there, but the room fiasco was a very ordinary experience.

Cheers

6  Thank Tagnbrag
Reviewed March 26, 2008

We stayed at the Merlin Beach Resort from Mar.17-24, 2008 (2 adults). I cannot say enough positive things about it. Anyone giving a negative review must either have had an isolated bad incident or is just too picky and looking for negativity. I have stayed in hotels and resorts all over Europe, Canada, Mexico and Africa and this is in my top two places I have stayed. The resort is quite big and spotlessly clean. We had just a standard room but we were only a few steps away from the pool and had a beautiful sea view from our balcony. You would pay a lot of extra cash for a view like that at most resorts. The room was huge, with a king-size bed and quite a large bathroom. The bathroom had a big tub and also a shower stall that could easily fit three of me into it. The room was cleaned well every day. There were quite a few English channels on the television, although we only watched before going to bed each night. The room has a safe to keep your valuables in, at no extra cost.

The pools were all very nice and kept clean throughout our visit. We were told the hotel was fully booked and that it was one of the busiest weeks of the year there, being Easter. However, I always saw lots of loungers free. One downside is that you have to return your towels every day and get a new one the next day and if you happen to forget, they charge you 500 baht. You could probably buy your own beach towel in Patong for 100. I did forget to return my towel one day, however, the charge never did show up on my bill.

The breakfast buffet was good. Nothing spectacular, as with any buffet, but lots of choices. They also had chefs making fresh omelettes. We only tried one of the restaurants, opting to go into Patong for dinner on all the other nights. We ate at the Italian restaurant and it was quite good. Also, obviously a little more expensive than going into Patong but much cheaper than eating in Europe or North America so I thought it was still a good deal.

I went to the spa on my last day and booked a 3.5 hour Thai Revival package. It consisted of a steam bath, full-body exfoliation, Thai hot-compress treatment, Thai massage and Thai facial. It was all amazing. The spa is beautiful and they were very professional. Again, it was more expensive that going local but was convenient for me and still was only slightly more than I pay for a one-hour Thai massage back home. So I thought it was a great price.

My only complaint about the hotel is that the shuttle bus service is so infrequent and at odd times. However, we used the taxi service across the street and got a taxi or tuk-tuk every night into town for 200 baht. Can't complain about that price.

Overall, the Merlin Beach is a 5-star resort and I had an amazing stay there. Normally I never go back to the same place twice but I would definitely consider going back to Thailand again and staying at the Merlin Beach.

Also, as a side note, if you are interested in doing excursions, I recommend Simba Sea Trips (www.simbaseatrips.com). They are not advertised in the hotels and usually you have to contact them in advance of your visit to book a tour. But they give excellent tours for cheaper than most of the other companies and with fewer people. And the owners are English and Australian so you get a lot of great info from them.

13  Thank Erin R
Reviewed March 24, 2008

A wonderful clean hotel with very friendly helpful staff. Great swim up bar. Would recommend eating out of the hotel, not because the food is bad because it isn't. Just that there is a lot of great food around for a lot less money.

I would definitely stay here again if visiting Phuket.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sara_Notts-Phuket
Reviewed March 15, 2008

We stayed in the Merlin Beach Resort in Feb 2008 for 5 nights as part of a 3 week trip travelling around Thailand. Although the hotel isn't bad, it was the most touristy placed we stayed in and definately not the grandest.

The rooms are big but very plainly decorated, they are clean but you just don't get that feeling of luxury. The pools are lovely but it can be difficult to get a sunbed if you aren't out there by 11am.

The buffet breakfast was pretty average and is what you would expect from most hotels. They did have quite a few restuarants to chose from in the evening, although I would avoid the Italian restaurant - it was no way near as good as the Thai restaurant. The spa was lovely and the satff were friendly too.

The hotel is located just outside of Patong beach - they do run a shuttle bus service into Patong beach (it takes around 10mins) but unfortuantely the service is infrequent (around 4 times days). However, there is a taxi company opposite the hotel, so you can just use them instead.

The hotel its self, sits on its own private beach named Tri-Trang - this beach is lovely and if you walk up some steps to the side of the beach you will find a little restaurant which serves good Thai food for cheap.

Just a note about the area; there is nothing around the hotel, no shops or stalls so you do have to get a taxi everywhere. Personally, we did not like Patong beach, it's way too touristy. It's just a long row of neon lit shops and bars, and it smells bad too. It kind of reminds me of Magaluf! The hotel is fine but the area it is in is poor, so for that reason I would not go there again!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Bex021
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
Avista Hideaway Phuket Patong, MGallery by Sofitel
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 331 in Patong
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket
Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa

Been to Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach? Share your experiences!