“Outstanding”

Ranked #4 of 319 Hotels in Patong
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Outstanding”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Phuket in early Oct. The family gather for a wedding , therefore we had a mix of rooms ranging from the Penthouse to superior and family rooms. We enjoyed the hotel , its location , friendly staff that when the extended family departed , my wife and I extended our stay and moved to one of the Busakom Villia which have direct pool access.

Firstly, a special thank you to Ms Premjit, Sales Manager, who did an outstanding job organizing our wedding and for your taking care off our requirements hours before our wedding. Truly professional!

I would also like to thank Housekeeping when we were staying in the Penthouse in particular the person who made up our room each day , friendly and warm and my wife was very take with your gift for us.

The Food and Beverage Manager has a lot to be proud. I’m not much for room service but everything we order was wonderful, as were all the restaurants throughout the hotel. Based on reviews in travel advisor, we eat at Sam’s Steak House, and I’m glad we did the food was great and the kids enjoyed themselves with the special meals and drinks.

Happy hours were enjoyed by the family and by our wallets and again the staff we wonderful and friendly.

Kids club was well run and supervised and all our kids enjoyed their morning’s events and lunches.

Cooking school was excellent and I was amazed at how easy it is to cook some Thai dishes. Pity we left the cooking class until the last few days of our stay because I wanted to do move.

I could write on and on about the good things this hotel and its staff offer. From the little touches they do to make a your stay the best possible, to the genuine care they show when you need a doctor. Professional , professional , professional , it was a pleasure to stay and we well be returning next year.

Just one small note on improving the Penthouse experience, (we noticed a different from the Busakom service to that in the Penthouse) a small microwave would have been useful and we think the little extras you get when staying in the Villa should be extended for the Penthouse. Otherwise we wish every member of staff at the Phuket Holiday Inn all the very best!

Room Tip: Sam's Steak House is a much! Location was a winner for the extended family. Rooms located faci...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Stewart K
layberry, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear "Stewart K"

Thank you for taking the time to share with us such positive feedback. Of course, we are all delighted that you, your family and your friends had such a great time during your stay with us and that your wedding was such a memorable success - I will be sure to pass on your feedback to Premjit.

Your comments with regards the service from the rest of the hotel staff, most notably the Housekeeping Team and Kids's Club, are very much appreciated and I will share your feedback about Room Service and Sam's with all of the F&B Team.

Once again, we are genuinely pleased that you had such a wonderful experience with us at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again soon. Please stay in touch and let me know if there is ever anything I can do to help.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (824)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I travelled to Phuket with my 7 year old son in June, 2012 & stayed in a Superior Room. The Resort is in a great location directly across the road from Patong Beach. However the Resort is set up in a way with gardens, etc, that if you want to get away from the all too common calls of "You want Tuk Tuk, T-shirt or Suit" walking into the resort you could be miles away from the hustle and bustle of Patong. The resort had a great kids club, however if your child is under 8 they are not allowed outside of the kids club rooms & into the kids club pools without you being there. However there are two pools specifically set aside from the main pool area for the kids and a nice play area nearby. The room was pretty basic, however very well appointed. Our balcony overlooked the car park and was boarded by a side road which could prove noisy at times, however unless we were sleeping we were rarely in our room. The Staff was very friendly, pool side service prompt and the food was great & reasonably priced. The resort has two wings and we stayed in the older one which we were pretty happy with. I would certainly recommend staying at this resort, and will be returning and staying there myself.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
layberry, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear "Mark D"

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It is great to read that you were overall very happy with the hotel and the facilities and that the Kid's Club and play area were particularly appreciated. Your comments about the staff are especially appreciated and I will be sure to share your review with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back again to Holiday Inn Resort Phuket. please stay in touch in the meantime and let me know if there is anything with which we can assist.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed during Songkran 2012 with 4 year old daughter. Could not fault the hotel at all. Even through two Tsunami warnings. Excellenmt staff and facilities. Would recommend that you stay in the Busakorn wing but really can't comment on the main wing as have never used those facilities.

Room Tip: Do not take young children to Patong during Songkran. Why would anyone squirt a 4 year old in the f...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank billcrighton
layberry, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear 'billcrighton'

Thank you for your very kind review - your positive comments about the service from our team are particularly well appreciated, and I will be sure to share your feedback with the staff.

I hope I am able to welcome you back again to Holiday Inn Resort Phuket again in the future - please let me know in the meantime if there is anything with which I can help.

Singapore
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The trip to Phuket was the first one and Holiday Inn was chosen based on research done online as well as it came recommended to us from close relatives. We stayed there for 3 nights.

Overall, we did not relish our stay here as much as the image that Holiday Inn carries for itself Worldwide. Though we loved Phuket and would be back again sometime, I do not know whether we will patronize another stay at Holiday Inn again.

Some experiences of ours during our stay:

a) Checkin - Our woes started at the time of checkin itself. The hotel had lost our reservations and could not find our advance bookings despite having fully pre-paid our reservations nearly 2.5 months prior to reaching Phuket. About half an hour later, after multiple requests for searching their databases, they could finally locate our travel agent related id. but all the details of the guests entered in it were completely different (name, dob, days of stay, address, etc.). The hotel kept denying that there was no problem with their reservation systems but our travel voucher which contained all our details narrated a completely different story.

We had also made specific requests for staying at the Busakorn Wing but these were all denied since they could not find our initial reservation. Instead, we were asked to stay at the Main wing (older wing) and were asked to shell out nearly 20% extra for staying at the Busakorn Wing. Left with no option, we relented and accepted to stay at the Main wing.

b) Rooms, Hotel & Facilities - The room itself was decent. It had a balcony (standard for all rooms at the hotel) overlooking the street but no where near the pool view requested by us in our original reservation. The bathroom was a tad small but clean. It had a separate shower cubicle with rain shower mast. But it did not have a toilet sprout, a standard feature in Phuket!

More than half the hotel was NOT accessible to residents from the Main wing. There were 5 pools, of which 2 were for kids. Out of the 3 remaining pools, only 1 was accessible to all, whereas the other 2 were exclusively accessible to people staying at the Busakorn Wing (Highly discriminatory, in my opinion, given that the excluded 2 pools were the very best and had an in-the-pool bar as well, something we wanted to use!)

I can understand if the hotel differentiates in the quality of room, size of room or amenities provided in the room (For Busakorn Wing) but to shut off large portions of the hotel premises for half the guests (Main Wing) is something I would probably never do for a mere 1000 Bhat extra per night as applicable for Busakorn Wing.

Within the rooms as well, there were no toiletries present and it took nearly 1 hour for the staff to get us a dental kit and a shaving kit. Apparently, the hotel did NOT have a direct number for room service and all room service requests had to be routed through the reception!

The sauna is only available on a chargeable basis.
The changing rooms at the 1 common pool were also not very clean.

c) Service - The attitude of the staff was indifferent and uncaring. They were more concerned with residents not giving them bad reviews rather than striving to meet customer expectations. Our worst 2 service experiences were both at the Charm Thai restaurant (Thai specialty restaurant). The lady at the restaurant (do not know her name) was differentially treating guests who did not place large orders with them. She was least interested in explaining options for vegetarians as well.

On one occasion, she refused to give us cold towels at the end of the meal under the pretext that they had run out of them, even though we saw her giving the same to guests sitting next to us. On another occasion, she was did not care to take order from us for a long time and showed visible displeasure when we ordered just one dish from the menu on that day. Frankly we were a little disappointed since we had high hopes from the Thai restaurant and were looking forward to sample many Thai dishes.

d) Food & Beverages - We had complimentary breakfast on all days and the spread was quite large. It included mostly American spread but also had a few local dishes from Thailand. For vegetarians, there were enough dishes and even a separate section exclusively for them!

A positive experience was with their Italian restaurant. They had availability of ample vegetarian dishes but unfortunately for the hotel, these dishes (spaghetti, pizzas, etc,) were not listed on the menu, a tad surprising, given that lots of guests exercise these options. We really liked them and had 2 full meals here as the dishes were made to suit our palates.

The negative aspect of the restaurants though was that they closed by 10 pm, a bit surprising again given that the night life in Phuket begins at 8 pm till late into midnight and food options are an integral part of the night life at Phuket.

e) Tours & Trips - Phuket has a beautiful coastline and there are several tours that one can avail to see the Phuket city as well as its various islands. The hotel had an outsourced third party travel desk at the lobby area to provide travel information to guests. But the service there was highly disappointing since all the ladies behind the counter were more interested in selling their set tour packages rather than provide requested information. It became so difficult to get even basic tourist information from them without being peddled some tour package or the other, that we had to surf the internet in the lobby area on our own and had to talk to people outside the hotel to make up our plans to explore Phuket. The packages offered too were exorbitant.

A better option for touring Phuket is to hire taxis by the hour and take them beach hopping (that is what locals call it) or to visit specific tourist attractions. If you walk outside the hotel, you can talk to private taxi drivers and negotiate rates (1000 Bhats for 3 hours or 700 Bhats for 2 hours to take the cab where you wish to go). If you book the same taxis from within the Holiday Inn premises then be prepared to shell out an additional 300 Bhats, which goes into the pockets of bell captains and bell boys at the hotel entrance.

e) Wifi - Wifi was free only in the lobby area.

OVERALL:

Not minding the couple of positives mentioned above, our overall experience at Holiday Inn Phuket was way below our expectations primarily on account of poor service attitude of staff, the sour taste left by our negative experiences and the discriminatory policies followed towards non - Busakorn Wing residents.

The service of the staff at Holiday Inn Phuket was provided only in letter but never in spirit. I conjecture that being part of a Worldwide chain having the highest number of hotel rooms in the World, has made them indifferent to the concept of customer delight.

Room Tip: - Be aware that there are 2 categories of stay here (Busakorn and Main) For the pricing of Main wing...
5 Thank B_TravellerSingapore
Dear “B_TravellerSingapore”

Thank you for taking the time to share such constructive feedback with regards your recent stay. It is of course concerning to us when a guest has a less than positive experience, and such detailed and constructive comments are very much appreciated as they allow us to take positive action, where possible, to improve the guest experience and overall “concept of customer delight” as you have mentioned.

On the positive side, it is wonderful to note that you loved Phuket as a destination and that within the hotel you were pleased with your room, with the breakfast selection and with the food and service provided in our Italian Restaurant, Terrazzo.

Without going into too much detail, I am genuinely sorry that we fell short of your expectations on several counts and your feedback with regards your lost reservation and, in particular, the unsatisfactory standard of service in our Thai restaurant and at the Tour Counter are all well noted and I will personally follow up with all concerned to review and address these procedures as relevant.

You are correct in noting that the 3 restaurants in the main body of the hotel close at 10pm; however Terrazzo Restaurant, on the Beach Road, is open until 12:30am. Please also note that complimentary WiFi is available throughout the hotel including in all guest rooms.

I will further apologize if there has been some miscommunication with regards use of the hotel swimming pool facilities. In fact, as a guest staying in the Main Wing, you may use the swimming pool with the swim up bar at the Busakorn Wing. What is restricted is the use of the sun-loungers in this area, which are reserved for the guests staying here. As you have mentioned, the Busakorn Wing rooms come at a slightly higher rate than those in the Main Wing and I am sure you can understand that we must keep sun-loungers available for the guests staying in these rooms.

Once again, thank you for sharing this feedback with us and I hope you will be assured that we will follow up on your comments with the team. It would be great to see you back again at Holiday Inn Resort in the future, and if you are planning a trip back, please feel free to stay in touch with me personally if there is anything with which I can help.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Loud, noisey & full of left over ladies of the night from Bangla road! What a waste of my weekend! I went there knowing the location BUT was convinced by a friend it would be ok. It wasnt, very very loud. All the guests where either loud drunks of screaming kids - not for me

Room Tip: NOT in this hotel!
6 Thank paul s
Dear 'paul s'

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket.

While it is disappointing to note that your experience was not in line with your expectations, I feel that your comments are a little exaggerated, and I would disagree that "All the guests where either loud drunks of screaming kids" [sic]. We do welcome guests of all types (couples, groups of friends and families with children) and try our best to meet the needs of everyone who stays with us. While there are times, undoubtedly, that families and groups of friends will make some noise while having fun or entertaining other friends, we feel that we manage this more than adequately with the balance of interest of all guests in mind and certainly our hotel is not "full of left over ladies of the night from Bangla road".

Once again, I do appreciate that you have taken time to share your comments and I am genuinely sorry that your stay with us was not as enjoyable as it might have been. The peace and comfort of couples who stay with us for a relaxing holiday is of course very important to us, and we will continue to review how we manage 'excessive' behavior, with your comments in mind.

Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

What a brilliant resort for families!

We have 3 little ones, they were 5,3 & 14 month when we travelled & the resort is 100% catered to fulfill their every need & keep us parents relaxed at the same time!

Kids pool with free activities daily, to a range of different sized high chairs for the dining areas- kids are the focus!

Th food is also amazing- so much variety at breaky & all so fresh! Of everywhere we have staying in Thailand, the breaky here was consistently the best by far!

Loved it- no wonder its so tough to book! Everyone wants to come here- book well in advance to get the specific family rooms!

• Stayed July 2012
layberry, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear 'itravelwith3kids'

Thank you for giving such positive and kind feedback about your recent stay with us - we are definitely a family focused hotel (and brand...) but it is always very much appreciated when the "little touches" and the facilities are acknowledged by our guests. Your comments with regards the food, especially breakfast, are well noted and I will share your review with the team here at the hotel.

You are correct in noting that at certain times of the year, or for certain room types, there is always a lot of demand at our hotel. Please stay in touch with me when you are planning your next visit and let me know how I can help.

Sydney
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My partner and I have stayed here many times- while this trip we stayed for a week in a pool access suite in Busakorn Wing with free wi-fi or minibar, we personally would of been just as happy in a standard Busakorn room... The pool area is great, but just a little bit quiet for us-- we prefer the slightly busier main pool with a few more people around- and rooms are still nice and spacious.
The Busakorn suite is great- perhaps starting to look a little dated. Quite a bit of wear and tear beginning to show, however, the rooms are still nice, decent size, and a comfortable bed. We didn't really utilise the free minibar much, but the complimentary water was fantastic- approx 10 bottles at any one time which we constantly replenshed- as were towels during the nightly turndown. Housekeepind left a small toy elephant to take home on our last night which was a really thoughtful touch.

Staff weren't as outgoing as I remembered- and Patong was a little dirtier than I remembered, but Holiday Inn(especially Busakorn Wing) is like a little sanctuary- and the second you enter those gates you feel a million miles away from everything. If Phuket is where you want to go whether as a couple, family, or friends I highly recomment Busakorn wing. On a side note- we usually stick to more upmarket restaurants, however, tried Seahag as it rates so highly on TA and really enjoyed our meal- the owner was pleasant and the food was great- we ended up eating there twice and was very reasonable! Only a short walk from hotel.

2 Thank aussie_traveller30
layberry, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear 'aussie_traveller30'

Thank you for sharing such kind and detailed feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket. It is great that you have so thoroughly enjoyed the facilities and accommodation in the Busakorn Wing and that our Housekeeping team in particular have made such a positive and lasting impression on you - I will be sure to share your review and feedback with them.

I look forward to welcoming you back again to our "sanctuary in Patong" soon. Please let me know in the meantime if there is anything we can help with.