“Staff are too comfortable for their own good.”

Holiday Inn Resort Phuket
Ranked #4 of 322 Hotels in Patong
Perth, Australia
“Staff are too comfortable for their own good.”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel was the last leg of our holiday and as a young couple we found it to be the most disappointing. Upon arrival we were told we had two single beds when I had already paid for a double bed room and if this was ok? then it turned into our room was still 'dirty' and that we would not be able to access it until after 3pm to which check in is 2pm and I had also requested early check in and told to simply go shopping after all that travel. The room itself is nice, however the complimentary tea and coffee area had been wiped out and not yet replaced to which the lady said they would be so no afternoon tea for me. We found the staff to be unfriendly compared to our previous hotels and when we ordered room service the man who delivered was exceptionally rude and told us not to pay him but charge it to the room, which is exactly what I didn't want to do. He had poor body language and mannerism. At breakfast time we were seated on a fourseated table with another patron when there were plenty of free two seated tables available, when we ordered 2 omlettes after a lengthy wait the lady made them then proceeded to give mine to a man who just walked up and then asked what i wanted as if she had completely forgot. To any young couples thinking of staying here I'd say either book the buskorn villa as you would probably receive better service due to the money difference or book somewhere else. Definitely a hotel for families or people who don't mind complacency. Although on a positive note the staff members that organize the tours were extremely helpful, kudos to them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
layberry, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear 'Kpow88'

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback and my sincere apologies that certain aspects of your stay failed to meet your expectations. Your kind comments about the tour staff are very much appreciated and I will share this with the team. You are correct in noting that we are a family friendly hotel, but we also aim to provide a great holiday experience to couples, honeymooners, groups of friends and guests of all ages - again, I am sorry this was not the case in this instance.

Your comments with regards the room type allocation, check in time and the housekeeping service are well noted. I will follow up with the team accordingly and I will further review your comments regarding breakfast and the friendliness of the Room Service staff.

Please feel free to contact me personally at the hotel if you are planning another trip back to Phuket and I hope to welcome you back again to Holiday Inn Resort

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (844)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed in a Family Room for 7 nights. On arriving our room wasn't ready but we were more than happy to shop as we have been there before and we were also given free drink vouchers for the kids and adults. After only staying 2 days in our room the smell of vomit come out of the carpets (they said they would do a "deep clean", I asked what that would be and they said a room spray) - I told them not to bother as I have already used my husbands full can of deopdorant spray and that the smell is now making us sick - they did move us to another room the next morning and thank goodness, no sickly smell and the girls actually had a view and a balcony (as the first room was all boarded up and was dark). The only downside was having the people above us stomping through night! All the staff were more than helpful, the food was great, when we ate there. This was the girls first trip to Thailand and they can't wait to go back! We would definately stay here again even though we did have these issues but you can't help it when kids get sick.

In the kids room, they had their own tv, dvd player, xbox and own balcony - their own little haven but still close enough to us (with ample room for them to move around) They loved their boat beds and everyday the doona's got changed to a different character.

Room Tip: Make sure that you get a 278 end room not a 233 end room as the kids room has no balcony and is dark...
2 Thank Kazzi01
layberry, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear 'Kazzi01'

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback - it is great to note that overall you had a wonderful stay and I am pleased to hear that our team reacted so positively in arranging a room move and that you and the kids enjoyed the new room.

We hope to see you back again soon at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket - please let us know if there is anything we can help with!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2012

One thing that really irked me was the hotel puts 10% service charge on every bill. the waiters and staff stand there expecting a tip. Call me cheap, but I don't tip twice so on the bills where the tip amount was indicated I drew an arrow to the 10% service charge area. Sorry waiters and service staff. they deserve the tip, but due to the hotels 10% service charge policy they get shafted quite a bit. How ever I did tip the bell boy after dragging my suitcase and diving gear all the way to my room in the muggy heat. Pool was excellent but I found they closed it a bit early, 0800 i think, I like taking a before bed swim so I was a bit disappointed at this. Also the business office closed at 8 so if you need anything (computer, printer or copies) forget it. overall I would recommend it, plus the location is close to everything. there is a big mall just two blocks away from the hotel, the mall has everything, movies, games, mega shopping. The hotel is a short walk from the beach. Its not the hotels fault, but everywhere you go vendors are in your face about taxies, buying suits, and massages with happy endings. The best way to combat this is wear earphones, than you can just politely ignore these people. Oh, the room cleaning staff seem to like to clean early, so they bang on your door every half hour starting about 830 or nine. before you go to bed put out the do not disturb sign that way they will let you sleep in. Also they have a turn down service, that has someone coming in the room in the evening when you may have not put your valuable stuff away (while your at dinner or what ever). Same thing to avoid this use your do not disturb sign.

Room Tip: pay the extra for the buskorn suites, they are away from the rest and less kids and noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank alRodney
Dear 'alRodney'

Thanks for sharing your comments with us and it is great to note that overall you had a pleasant visit.

My apologies if you felt under pressure to 'tip' the staff in the restaurants - tipping is of course entirely discretionary, and there is absolutely no obligation. I will share this feedback clearly with my team and in the meantime, please note that our service charge is shared in full and equally between our front line team members.

Your comments with regards the pool closing time and housekeeping service are noted - thank you.

We hope to see you back again at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket - please let us know in the meantime if there is anything we can help with!

brisbane
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed at the Holiday inn with our three kids.Staff were very friendly and assisted to our every need.
This was our Third stay at the Holiday inn,we have stayed in the Buskorn Villas , Superior rooms and the Buskorn Studios this trip and cannot fault the rooms or the service.Centrally located to all your shopping needs.Has awesome restaurants at every turn ,will be booking another trip again shortly and the Holiday inn is our preferred accommodation.This trip we were invited to cocktail party where we meet with assistant manager and other Staff,they were all friendly the pools are great for the kids as well.This trip we had a joining rooms ground level with a step out to the pool.Awesome all round.

Room Tip: Good rooms to ask for would be the pool level on ground floor.
Dear 'garyrose69'

Many thanks for your very positive feedback and kind comments regarding your recent stay. We hope to welcome you back again soon to Holiday Inn Resort Phuket and in the meantime, please let us know if there is anything we can help with!

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed here early September this year- this was our first stay at this resort and we've previously stayed in 2 other resorts further out from Patong. Our first night in we arrived late as our plane was delayed and must say the staff at the front counter were very unaccommodating and rude. I had previously emailed Angkarb Inthakarn re getting a Kids Suite for our stay and he had responded saying they were holding a Kids Suite for us. On arrival they told us there was no such communication and all we could get was a Superior Room with our 2 boys.

The room was located on the second floor and stunk of mould, smoke and dampness. Also this room only had 2 double beds which was not sufficient for us as my husband and I are quite tall and we paid a lot more than we have previous years for a tiny room. Once my husband complained they moved us to another room still on level 2 and it had the same smell but a king size bed. It was VERY late at night by this time and our 3 and 5 year old were so grumpy we begrudgingly made do for the one night with all 4 of us in a king bed.

The next day my husband dealt with one of the room managers and after extensive negotiations and having to wait til that afternoon for confirmation we were able to get into a Family Suite but we had to pay hundreds of dollars more for it (they did include brekky with this as well but still- lots of extra $$). The room was on level 3 now so no smell and it was all in all a fantastic room with separate pirate themed room for the boys which they LOVED!

The breakfast here is outstanding but beware- if you dont get a deal including it- it is quite pricey at 475 baht per adult (kids under 12 eat free) per day. The Kids Club is done very well but only caters for children over 5 years (pretty standard I think although all other resorts we've stayed at cater for 4 years plus). The kids pool is set out well, but we found the best pool for us was the main Busakorn pool with swim up bar and plenty of room. The dinner buffets are very good quality but once again- overpriced. We found lots of local restaurants to eat at all well within walking distance.

We stayed here for our 10th wedding anniversary which the resort forgot about but when the hubby mentioned it to them again we got a lovely cake the next day- would've been nice on the right day but they got there in the end! We also got invited to the standard hotel cocktails by the pool and was nice to speak to hotel staff and other travellers at this :)

All in all- this trip was a lot more expensive on accommodation that previous years but the resort caters well for most needs and is in a fantastic location if you can afford to spend a bit more on a decent room (and avoid level 2!!).

Room Tip: Avoid level 2 and get a kids/family suite if you can afford it.
2 Thank 81Kezza
Dear '81Kezza'

Thank you for your very detailed feedback and my apologies that there was some initial confusion over your room booking, although I am pleased that this was resolved by our team and that the boys loved their Pirate Theme room!

Thank you also for highlighting the smell and condition of your initial room. We do have a rotational quality management program in place in the hotel, but we are always able to make improvements most quickly ion the basis of direct guests feedback.

I am very pleased to read that you were overall very happy with the food, service and facilities at the hotel and we hope to be able to welcome you back for future holidays and anniversaries. Please contact me directly prior to any future visit in order that I can personally ensure all details and requirements are met to your satisfaction.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I returned from Thailand a week ago after staying in Phuket resort for 8 nights from Sept 13 Sept through to Sept 20, 2012. I stayed at the Holiday Inn.

The Holiday Inn Phuket is a hotel that has something for everyone; the young family, the romantic ambience and a place to relax and unwind. I was looking for relaxation, sophisticated dining at affordable prices along with a service to make me feel special. I received all my wishes and more. The location of the hotel is in the heart of Phuket's colourful and lively streets with so much on offer. Taylor made suits, massages parlours, shop, shop, shop until you drop and the night live which I would rate for the adult audience, you can take it or leave it , there is no preasure. There is something for everyone. Once in the confounds of the hotel you could be on a caste away island surrounded by gentle fresh aromas,flora, flowing water and gentle background music of Thailand. with everything on hand.
There are four fantastic restaurants which will cater for all palettes. If you can not find something to wet your appetite I would be very surprised; Western food, the steak and chip, Mediterranean salads to the great taste of Thailand. The menu will have something for all budgets. Prappa Rattananukul the Manager and his team at the Charms restaurant were first class in service and delivery of the taste of Thailand. The Charms was my personal favourite as it offered both Thai food and hospitality at it's best. Words can not explain the breakfast selection at the Charms. I really do not know where to begin.
I was further impressed with the service provided by the concierge team; nothing was too much trouble. They offered valuable advise on places to see and arranging the hire of a private taxi for a day at a reasonable negotiated price. The peace of mind that came with your own driver is so valuable, the knowledge that your day was well structured, comfortable and completely safe was a service which for me was priceless.' Mr M' my taxi driver, probably is totally unaware of the positive impact he had on my holiday.
My holiday was a late booking to celebrate both my birthday and my wedding anniversary, I made contact with the hotel approximately 72 hours prior to my arrival and was pleasantly surprised by the instant dialogue which I engage in. Korarit Insuwan Asst. FB Manager ensured a restaurant was booked 'SAMS'. I was really taken back by the outstanding service and quality of the food. The details.....A birthday cake was delivered to my room along with candles,this was not expected but truly appreciated. Korait and his team really understand what is meant by customer service.

There is so much to say about my stay at the Holiday Inn Phuket. What I have not mentioned is that I stayed in the Busakorn Wing, studio, spacious comfortable with a degree of luxury is how I would describe my room. The views over the pool from my balcony was tranquil and very pleasant as I sipped on a cold refreshing drink in the evenings.

I would recommend the Holiday inn Phuket for the reasons and experiences I described within and those I do not have time to report on. For me it gave me an excellent base for my first visit to Thailand.
I hope you enjoy your stay as much as I enjoyed mine.

MB London, England

Room Tip: I stayed in the Busakorn Wing studio, is said to be quieter, designed for couples
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AuntieMelsey
Dear 'AuntieMelsey'

Many thanks indeed for your very positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is always a pleasure to receive such wonderful comments and I will personally ensure that Prapa, Korarit, the Concierge and the Sam's team receive a copy of your review.

We hope to see you back again soon at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket - please let us know in the meantime if there is anything we can help with

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Overall great place to stay for the money...only complain was at breakfast some of the parents did allow their children to run wild and the treadmills in the gym need to be serviced a little more regularly...If you are not a fan of children stay away or upgrade...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank zeus252
Dear 'Zeus252'

Thank you for your recent review and feedback. As a family oriented hotel, we do expect to have children staying with us throughout the year, but the majority of families tend to stay in our main wing where we have Family Suites, Kid's Suites and 2 Kid's Clubs and so you may find that our Busakorn wing provides a slightly more peaceful option for you if you are planning to return, and you may contact us directly at any time if you would like to receive or discuss more details on the different options available.

Your comments with regards the gym equipment are well noted and we hope to be able to welcome you back again soon to Holiday Inn Resort Phuket

Executive Assistant Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
Holiday Inn Express Phuket Patong Beach Central
BYD Lofts Boutique Hotel & Serviced Apartments
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Avista Hideaway Phuket Patong, MGallery by Sofitel
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 322 in Patong

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!