“Stay somewhere else”

Horizon Patong Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #36 of 331 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed November 13, 2007

We stayed at the Horizon Beach Hotel for 8 days in September.

We found the Hotel quite dirty and it had a odd smell to it as well.
The breakfast was very average.

We found that most of the staff there didnt go out of their way to help you in any way except for the front bellhop guys they were very nice.

I made a overseas telephone call back to Australia and it cost me 120 Baht per minute (approx $4.00AUD), I couldnt believe that!!

Overall, I think that we would have enjoyed Phuket much more than we did if we had of stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Travel_Bugs7980

Reviewed October 19, 2007

After reading bad reviews on this webiste I was worried about this hotel. We were suprised when we got to check in that we were given a free upgrade to a junior suite. The room was well presented and spacious. It contained a shower and an additional shower over a bath.
What we did notice over the course of our 7 night stay was that the room was not cleaned properly. We arrived late on our first night and
after having dinner out we went to hop into bed but the sheets were dirty, plus there was like a blood stain on a pillow. So we did not use the pillow that night and we asked for the sheets to be changed the next day. I highly doubt that the sheet was changed, but infact turned over and the pillow cases were not changed despite me placing the stain face up so it was evident. I know this is extremely trivial, but there was poor attention to detail. The bed runner was never at the foot of the bed like it was the first night, the orchids
were left sitting on the side table and not on the pillows. Although they did fold the toilet paper into triangles.

The toilet had a bowl washer spray thing that had caked on god knows what. It was filthy. The majority of the towels we recieved were so old and grey, you could smell the bleach attempts, alot were even freying on the edges.

The concierge staff seemed to have very limited english with barely a smile when we greeted them. The breakfast buffet was average compared to others in Thailand we have been to (Sheraton Chiang Mai and Kata Thani in Phuket were great!).

We did meet a couple that were given a particularly bad room and seemed to have bad luck with their room. We would only stay here again if we could be guaranteed the same room (one level up near the stairs). I definately recommend a junior suite be booked, it would be awful (I think) to be on the lower ground facing the pools, especially near the bar area at night!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ilovegelato82
Reviewed August 30, 2007

Worst hotel i'ven been in in 9 weeks of travelling! Stayed there for just over a week. Service was poor. Reception staff (bar one) and management had bad attitudes. The housekeeping staff were also unpleasant. Housekeeping stopped at 3pm so you had to be out of your room by then or not get clean towels. Aircon didn't work properly and was never fixed, despite repeated requests to front desk to attend to problem.

I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank Cb4tooLATE
Reviewed July 19, 2007

DO NOT i repeat DO NOT stay at horizon patong.
i had booked this hotel in Dec06 for 12 nights 06 july to 18 july 07.
(2 Non smoking interconnecting rooms)
arriving with my wife and 3 children at horizon patong .reception staff requested we fill in the necessary paper work as you do when you check in, after 40 mins of waiting we were told they do not have any rooms for us. i was dumb founded, as i said we booked these rooms 8 months ago they just had blank looks on their faces and said we will transfer you to karen beach horizon. after arguing with them for 15 mins about how we wanted to stay in patong i caved in and agreed to go to karen beach. 1.5 hrs later they finaly transfer us on a bus to this hotel.
upon arrival i find out they only have one room for us to squeeze into .The reception lady said but it is an upgrade to aclub room.
i said it wasnt good enough as it only had one king bed and they would put 2 rollaway beds in my wife and i expected to share bed with 5 yrold son. By this time i blew up and requested another room they magicaly found one ,but tommorow we will have two interconnecting rooms. the next day we got the two rooms and we started to enjoy our holidayafter 5 nights of staying at karon beach my 15 yr old daughter picked up a small glass she was using to brush her teeth and it broke in her hand she was lucky not to cut her self my wife put the broken pieces of glass in a bag for room service to collect the next morning that day room staff left us a damage bill for 200bht for acrappy little glass. my wife explained what happened but they said itwas the hotel rules so i demanded them to transfer us to the original hotel in patong to wich they said will do in two days time atb 100pm when this time came and arrived at 130pm at patong horizon to spend our last 6 nights the two rooms were still not redt as the people had alate check out till6 pm so they stuck us in atransit room for 5 hrs until it was very organised lot arent they. when our rooms were ready to move in to they had chain smokers staying there and you coul cut the ir with a knife it was that bad. my young son has chronic asthma and i approached reception staff to say we require non smoking rooms because of that fact they said they would spray but that just made it worse.
my son was wheezing / coughing althrough the night as we had to put up with it . we rang our travel agent to bookus int o anther hotel like holiday inn or the merlin but everything was booked out solid (school holidays). the next morning walking to breakfast our young son was coughing past the reception desk 20 mins later they asked us if we would like two rooms upstairs with balconys that were non smoking ( amazing hey) so we moved in to those rooms.
on our final day we settled our account at reception at midday we had one room with a lated check out for 5 pm when our taxi arrived to take us to airport and the family and iwere walking with our bags to go , the recetion girl yells at me to stop i have to pay abill of 150 bht for mini bar . i said the mini bar is full what are you talking about she said 3 sml cans of soft drink have been replaced with 3 cans from across the roads mini mart (16bht )the can we had drunk i had replaced with the exact same cans that i had replaced they said we have tiny little stickers on the bottom of the cans so the y know it was aforeign item. isaid the cans are ectly the same so whats the problem but insisted i pay the bill for 150 bht .
isaid iam not paying for it as the mini bar is still stocked i repeated this again and again. but they said i must or they will call the police. i then snapped and said u r gonna arrest me for not paying a billfor something that still sitting in a mini bar i demanded the 3 cans to be returned to me straight away i threw the the money at them then poured the drinks in front of them in the grass and said a few choice words at them.

the two pools there were crap with tiles missing off the bottom and the sides were razor sharp

the room we stayed in had toilet paper shoved in ahole in the wall the size of adinner plate.

do not stay here if you have alredy booked beg your travel agent to transfer somewhere else.

i am never awhinger but these people ruined my familys holiday if i can get this message across to as many travellers to phuket as i can may be these fools might wake up to themselves....

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
11  Thank craigperthWA
Reviewed July 2, 2007

We stayed at Horizon Patong from 15/JUN/2007 to 21/JUN/2007 and thoroughly enjoyed our time at this hotel. This Hotel gets a pretty bad review but it appears these negative feedbacks are based on bad personal experiences, which gets a significant representation in the Trip Advisor Hotel reviews. In my opinion, there are many people that have had pleasant experiences that just do not review this hotel.

This hotel was absolutely fantastic with great service, magnificent staff, and its fantastic location. As you all know, nothing is perfect and you can find fault with just about anything if you look hard enough or do not have enough information. I don’t think that we were that picky, so some things didn’t really bother us maybe because we were pre-warned from other visitors (from trip advisor) and aware of some of its shortfalls. You just have to remember that you get what you pay for and depending upon your expectations this can be the best or worst stay, for you. In our case, we were well informed and as such, we knew what to expect and dealt with the situations as they came. As such, we had a tremendous time at this hotel.

Location: Horizon Patong is situated at the southern end of Patong, Beach Road (Thaweewong Road) but seems to be centrally located in regards to shopping and activities. The Hotel is set back from Beach Road by a shopping laneway that leads to Soi Kepsab Road. It also has a side access to Beach Road, which follows the Horizon / Holiday Inn fence-line if you wish to avoid the sellers & tailors in the laneway.

Positives: This Hotel has a great deal of positives and too many to list. One is value for money and the staff were always pleasant and tried their best to make our stay enjoyable. The hotel has great amenities and offers a great range of opportunities and services at a budget price. We had breakfast included and this was nice. They altered the menu every morning.

The hotel offers a free shuttle service to its sister hotel (Horizon Karon) if you wish to take a trip to see another part of Phuket.

They offer upgrades if you are not entirely happy with your accommodation and will do their utmost to make your stay enjoyable. We were upgraded from standard rooms to interconnecting family rooms, which were fantastic.

They regularly upgrade to Karon or other nearby hotels like Graceland if they overbook. This can be a positive or a negative depending upon what you are wanting. If its location then it is a negative but if, it is for a better hotel star rating and accommodation then it is a positive.

Another positive is Julieanne (Julie) their customer liaison officer. She speaks English and was instrumental in us communicating our concerns about our accommodation. Without her, I may well have been doing a negative report. If you strike a problem with accommodation, please request to talk to her. She was terrific and sorted everything out calmly and without any major problems. Just be patient, they will do their best to help you.

Negatives: The major setback was communication. This hotel’s major failing is from over booking or mismatched room locations. The feedback in this forum about this situation is unfortunately true. They really do not get the idea of pre-arranging rooms; in fact, they will not confirm or allow pre-bookings of interconnecting or adjoining rooms until check-in. It seems to be a hit and miss affair. Families who want interconnecting or adjoining rooms seem to be the biggest losers with the Horizon Hotel chain. This occurred at Horizon Karon as well despite the numerous emails and phone communications to avoid this occurrence. This is a major downfall with this hotel chain.

Communication and patience is the key in dealing with this. Getting upset with them will only spoil your holiday. Trust me; they will eventually get it right for you through compromise. We traveled with another family and we both needed two rooms each for our families. They had allocated rooms for us everywhere throughout the resort with no consideration towards placing each family together. We did not mind if we were not next to our friends but wanted to be close to our children. We eventually worked it out after a day or two of both families being separated from our children. We split up and divided the kids between rooms, which obviously created a bed shortage. All rooms were scattered around the complex.

I really do not understand how this is so hard to arrange and why they cannot arrange this prior with a booking confirmation of over 6 months.

The rooms are comfortable but the showers have a problem through flooding. The drains do not seem to be aligned correctly and as such, water gets to puddle over the floor. Not your problem though, you do not have to clean up. A few towels on the floor always work a treat.

The local bus passes frequently along Beach Road frequently and will take you into Phuket Town for 20 Baht each

Recommendation: This is actually a great hotel and suits families well. Its location is its biggest asset. If only they can sort out their room allocations then this would be perfect. Everything else (ie. service, staff and amenities) was wonderful.
Patience will pay off in the end......

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
12  Thank Chizzel
Reviewed June 26, 2007

Have just retuned from Patong after having travelled there 5 times before (20/06/2007) and was very annoyed with the treatment we received on arrival at Horizon Beach Resort. We had booked and paid for our flights and accomodation in February, and when we arrived on th 10th of June from Koh Samui (Beachcomber Chaweng Beach Beautiful and no problems) we were told that they had overbooked by 20. They would upgrade us to another resort. I was travelling with my parents, who are in their late 70's and can't walk long distances, We booked in to the Horizon for the fantastic location, I had stayed there 2 years prior so i new how good the location was. They wanted us to go to Graceland Resort which was down the far end of Patong, we said no too far. so they take us to Duang something? Paradise on Rat u thit Rd no too far, Patong Resort no didn't want there so we asked for Patong Beach Hotel which is the resort we normally stay well no thats booked out??? so we ask about the sister resort at Karon. WEll yes they can fit us in there, but not once did the Guest Relations girl tell us about all the bloody steps. We put up with it for three days and didn't get the free dinner for three or free massage each that we were promised. After finally getting to Patong we had a fairly good room but would not recommend this resort to anyone. My friend has booked in for her Honeymoon so i hope that she isn't unlucky like we were. I have told her to get her agent to check her booking before she leaves, but they can say what they want over the phone can't they.

Stayed: June 2007
4  Thank cinnabuki7
Reviewed June 4, 2007

After reading some reviews of the Horizon on here I was a little apprehensive about staying there, but once I arrived I was very happy. The staff were really friendly and spoke very good English, and my room which was quite cheap in Aus dollars was nicer that I expected. The buffet breakfast was great. The Hotel tends to overbook themselves, and they offered me a room upgrade if I was willing to transfer to the Horizon Karon Beach Resort, which I did and was equally as happy. Karon Beach was a lot more relaxed than Patong Beach and just as nice. I would recommend staying at the Horizon Patong Beach

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo