This was my first time visiting Thailand and I was travelling with my husband, sister and her boyfriend and I knew it would be idiotic to not check out TripAdvisor first (no, I do not work for them, but will gladly accept a job there).
I wanted something on or extremely near the beach and after discovering Patong Beach was one of the more popular beaches, I plugged it in and found Diamond Cliff as one of the top results.
Two cons before I move on with the pros...due to my terrible map reading I calculated the resort at approximately 30 miles from Phuket Airport but the drive was actually a little under an hour so my guess is it's closer to 50-60 miles (did I mention that I'm also bad at math?). The next, and I feel this is minor, is that while the resort is cliff side it is cliff side to a rather busy street first and the beach comes after. This didn't bother me much, and it didn't take away from my positive experience of the place, I only mention it so it's clear that this is not a beach front hotel, but I guess you can gather this from the resort's name.
Our first contact with Diamond Cliff was at the airport, the hotel had graciously arranged for a van to pick us up with a sign with my name on it and all! We hopped in and went through a very winding, twisting journey before getting there, not a bad journey, though a bit long, we did get to see much of the local scenery and Phuket hot spots, street marts, restaurants and an oddly positioned memorial statue in the middle of a bustling roundabout.
Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly by the staff and a lovely lady checked us in, gave us a cool guava drink and asked us to sit on one of the lounge sofas while she explained the resort amenities and features to us. The hotel has an open air lobby outfitted in rich wood with beautiful Thai sculptures. It was also very open, no doors on the wide entrance, plants blooming vigorously all over and only partially covered ceilings, the hotel looks like it was designed to let a lot of natural light and space in, giving it a very organic and peaceful ambiance.
The ocean view suite we booked, at a great rate, featured a hot tub and large bed with a lovely Thai mural painted above it. We had a balcony that looked out to the ocean and we took full advantage of It each day we spent there.
There are two pools, the main one has a waterfall, water slide and swim-up bar. What?! The chance to live out my childhood AND adult desires....SOLD!
Upon check-in, we received vouchers for a free basket of fruit. It's important to note that the hotel property is large, so the trek from our hotel room to the fruit store was a little far, but I was rewarded fruitfully for it! I picked local favorites like rambutan, mango, dragonfruit and lychee. I've had these things in the States before, but Thailand definitely does it sweeter, juicier and better!
The staff was very friendly and always ready to help. The restaurants on the property were mediocre, but it you go to any of the restaurants outside of the hotel, be prepared for yummy traditional Thai food and fresh seafood and lots of libations served in coconuts and pineapples, which is totally what I had hoped for on a tropical, oceanside vacation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Diamond Cliff Resort & Spa is located on the hillside of North Patong. Only few minutes away from the Patong downtown where you can enjoy night life and shopping. We have a plenty of great choice of restaurants and bars within the hotel grounds, really impressive and well designed pool areas over looking the sparkling blue sea of Andaman. All rooms type are fabulous including our Diamond Pool Villa, all well appointed and furnished in gorgeous typically Modern-Thai furnishings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Diamond Cliff Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diamond Cliff Hotel Patong
- Diamond Cliff Resort And Spa Patong, Phuket