“Diamond Service”

Ranked #24 of 322 Hotels in Patong
Pasadena, California
“Diamond Service”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was my first time visiting Thailand and I was travelling with my husband, sister and her boyfriend and I knew it would be idiotic to not check out TripAdvisor first (no, I do not work for them, but will gladly accept a job there).

I wanted something on or extremely near the beach and after discovering Patong Beach was one of the more popular beaches, I plugged it in and found Diamond Cliff as one of the top results.

Two cons before I move on with the pros...due to my terrible map reading I calculated the resort at approximately 30 miles from Phuket Airport but the drive was actually a little under an hour so my guess is it's closer to 50-60 miles (did I mention that I'm also bad at math?). The next, and I feel this is minor, is that while the resort is cliff side it is cliff side to a rather busy street first and the beach comes after. This didn't bother me much, and it didn't take away from my positive experience of the place, I only mention it so it's clear that this is not a beach front hotel, but I guess you can gather this from the resort's name.

Our first contact with Diamond Cliff was at the airport, the hotel had graciously arranged for a van to pick us up with a sign with my name on it and all! We hopped in and went through a very winding, twisting journey before getting there, not a bad journey, though a bit long, we did get to see much of the local scenery and Phuket hot spots, street marts, restaurants and an oddly positioned memorial statue in the middle of a bustling roundabout.

Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly by the staff and a lovely lady checked us in, gave us a cool guava drink and asked us to sit on one of the lounge sofas while she explained the resort amenities and features to us. The hotel has an open air lobby outfitted in rich wood with beautiful Thai sculptures. It was also very open, no doors on the wide entrance, plants blooming vigorously all over and only partially covered ceilings, the hotel looks like it was designed to let a lot of natural light and space in, giving it a very organic and peaceful ambiance.

The ocean view suite we booked, at a great rate, featured a hot tub and large bed with a lovely Thai mural painted above it. We had a balcony that looked out to the ocean and we took full advantage of It each day we spent there.

There are two pools, the main one has a waterfall, water slide and swim-up bar. What?! The chance to live out my childhood AND adult desires....SOLD!

Upon check-in, we received vouchers for a free basket of fruit. It's important to note that the hotel property is large, so the trek from our hotel room to the fruit store was a little far, but I was rewarded fruitfully for it! I picked local favorites like rambutan, mango, dragonfruit and lychee. I've had these things in the States before, but Thailand definitely does it sweeter, juicier and better!

The staff was very friendly and always ready to help. The restaurants on the property were mediocre, but it you go to any of the restaurants outside of the hotel, be prepared for yummy traditional Thai food and fresh seafood and lots of libations served in coconuts and pineapples, which is totally what I had hoped for on a tropical, oceanside vacation!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jay El C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed August 19, 2013

i stay there with my wife in our Honey moon for 5 days the Hotel location was niceand the stuff was friendly.
the main point is the Buffet breakfast superb.
the suites are beautiful and huge also it is about a 10 minute walk from Patong Beach.
the gym is excellent and full of modern equipment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MazenGumaa
Dongara, Australia
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Great hotel with style . Suites are huge and staff friendly .great kids club . Buffet breakfast superb. Pools are amazing.lots of activities and great cooking class.overall deserves 4.5 star but starting to get a bit old so maybe a revamp required soon. Nicest gardens and flora in Thailand

Room Tip: Suites are huge
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Laura T
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We are staying here now with the family in a diamond suite room. The view is lovely , the room is spacious and clean. The resort is low rise with beautiful landscaping so you don't feel that you are near the hustle and bustle of Patong . It is low season so the regular activities have stopped but there is a beautiful pool, good gym, friendly service , regular shuttles to take you to your room. There appears to be a real mix of travellers here with many from Japan, and some from Europe and Australia. Be warned, the mattresses are hard but you get used to it. I love the setting, the peace and the serenity of the place. Definitely would come again.

Room Tip: Diamond suite rooms are good.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rashelle C
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Diamond Cliff is about a 15 minute walk (or 25 minute amble) from the centre of Patong Beach. As mentioned by the other reviewers, it is close enough to be comfortable but far enough away that it doesn't detract from your enjoyment of the location. The hotel staff are extremely friendly and courteous, the rooms and their facilities are slightly dated but always cleaned meticulously; however, the gym is excellent and full of modern equipment, so if you're an early riser and the rest of your family aren't it's an ideal way to pass some time in the morning. Not only was the gym equipment modern, it was well maintained and spotlessly clean with a good mixture of cardio and strength training equipment. If you're on a tight budget, it's advisable to get breakfast locally as this is significantly cheaper than the hotel. The food in the hotel was reasonable but as you'd expect better deals can be had in Patong itself (always choose a busy restaurant as opposed to a spotless but empty one as we found out to our cost at the beginning of the holiday). Overall, considering this was supposed to be the rainy season, we had less than 2 days of rain (out of 10), the location and hotel were great and the local people and staff were both friendly and accommodating; I would definitely recommend this to others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank eur_kev
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

diamond cliff one of the best we have stayed in, great location just outside patong beach, about 20 mins walk away from the hustle and bustle and close enough to walk into no probs! the room we had was big, yes and its own dressing doom bath room separate shower room and separate tiolet, wow. needless to say clean. the staff always smiling friendly and willing to help. the shuttle bus up to the rooms we're a great help the drivers we're great as was said earlier always smiling and helpful. the view from the room great, one word perfect. forgot to mention breakfast was good

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wolvrine2013
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed August 10, 2013

It's what you'd expect out of a 20-something yr old hotel, but is still very clean, and has all the mod cons for a 4 star hotel. We enjoyed being walking distance to patong beach and Bangla road (bars, restaurants etc) but far enough away to escape the mayhem. Would stay here again for something reliable.

Room Tip: Top level diamond cliff suites are nice
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ben103
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
Holiday Inn Express Phuket Patong Beach Central
Kalima Resort & Spa
Kalima Resort & Spa
#62 of 378 in Kathu

Been to Diamond Cliff Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!