“Fantastic”
Review of Amari Phuket

Amari Phuket
Ranked #2 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed March 25, 2008

The Amari is a really lovely hotel. I have just spent 10 nights there and spending extra on a superior room was worth every penny! The steps were a slight downside, but, all other aspects of the hotel were great. Stongly recommend the Spa treatments. Only 10 mins to central Patong in a Tuk Tuk. Great!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank LynnWColchester
There are newer reviews for Amari Phuket

Reviewed March 24, 2008

Amari Coral Beach Patong Phuket Thailand
Date of reveiw: March 2008
We had been on a cruise from Patong down the Malacan Straights to Singapore after a three night stay in Bangkok. Our Cruise ship Super Star Virgo was certainly a star experience .Any way back to the Amari. Sits on a headland at the South end of Patong Bay virtually hidden from view. First experience this was a jewel in the crown. Treated like royalty by superb friendly staff. Nothing and believe me nothing is too much trouble. We upgraded to a Beach view room well worth the extra. The cuisine is delicious and well presented. We found eating every evening would have been a little heavy on the bill so we used to walk or tuk tuk down the road to the town. We found next door to the 7/11 store a wonderful bar/ resturant called Kommer. Very cheap and good food.If you are looking to have a suit or dress made try the Uoma Fashion Tailors near the Japanese Restuarant. I had a gents wool and cashmere suit made in two days with one fitting. The suit fitted me very well and was an excellent price.
If you wish to book a trip or show try the town half the price.
If you cross over from the shops to the beach side in the evening look for the lantern hot airballoon sellers. You will see the lanterns floating high over the bay at night. wonderful.
Jasser

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jasseroxon
Reviewed March 22, 2008

we stayed in this hotel in january of 2008 for a week, this is an average hotel in a excellent location up the hill from the hustle n bustle. We figured quite quickly if you want a lounger put your towel down on the way to breakfast. The pool staff is not up to helping you get a lounger or stopping people from getting 4-6 loungers so they can move from the sun to the shade at there whim !!! We stayed in a deluxe room the view was great. The bathroom wasnt that bad however FYI the tub/showers do flood the bathroom and we had a horrible time with the water going hot to cold during certain times. As for the room the bed was the squishyish hard i know that makes no sense but it was like a hard mattress with a 20year old memory foam topper also there isnt enough drawer space for 2 people to put there clothes away. If you are a coffee drinker be prepared it is instant. As for the restaurants they were very good including the breakfast buffett which we ate every morning. I can recommend la gritta (the italian restaurant) the restaurant were breakfast is rim talay and the fruit smoothies by the pool. The staff here is extremely friendly and try very hard. When all is said and done i would stay here again . The location is perfect!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lucidity86ed
Reviewed March 19, 2008

Amari (pronounced am-mar-ree)
In Patong first 2 weeks of March. Relaxing unwinding holiday:12 nights might be too long if you want to get out and about and see different things – probably better as 2 centre holiday
Flying in – first leg of flight to Bangkok was delayed. Worried would not make connection to Patong. Getting off plane man standing with next flight no. who walked us over to where our flight was boarding – very impressed as it was a v. long walk and we would have panicked, gotten lost and missed flight. At Patong, man at luggage belt holding paper with our name on: luggage hadn’t made it on transfer but they knew this and took us to luggage claim where they informed us luggage would make it to hotel later that night.
Patong beach - there are loads of sunbeds, it’s not particularly attractive, and there is a busy main road along side the beach.
Patong - It is smelly with wiffs of sewer. Usual market places for bartering.
Hotel – located south of Patong beach. Nice not to be in the middle of the smell and noise. Easy to walk out in the evenings, the hotel was generally v quiet and deserted in the evenings as it is much cheaper to eat out even if you decide to take a tuk tuk. 10% government tax & 7% vat are charged on top of all hotel prices. The view from the hotel across the Patong bay is pretty – you won’t get this stuck in a hotel in the middle of town. At the far end of the hotel is the spa (prettier side) and jetty (where there is a small area to snorkel). Loads of choice for b/fast and the b/fast area overlooks the bay. As mentioned in other reviews there are lots of steps and walking as the hotel is spread out. 2 swimming pools, small gym, a couple of small private beach areas (I find preferable to Patong itself). Provided daily in room 4 x 500ml bottles of water and newspaper. Hotel provides shuttle to Karon beach south of Patong.
Spas – land of massages/treatments and the choices are many. I would recommend trying the spa at the hotel. They may be more expensive than others, but the treatments takes place in private hut-like structures high up overlooking Patong and it is extremely relaxing.
Restaurants – there are many, but would recommend S&G Chinese/Thai restaurant, located past McDonalds, turn right, opposite the Napoli. When I was there it was always busy and not one tummy bug. There are a few other restaurants down this road. Typical dinner there: 3 courses & rice, 2 drinks approx £7-8.
If you walk along the beach & turn off by world sports centre, the road is blocked to traffic and down this road there are loads of bars and leads to shopping centres and more shops out the other side.
Tuk tuk prices – if too tired to walk back from centre of patong 150bht was cheapest ride back to hotel.
Taxis will tout to take you to phuket town for approx 300 bht – they make stops at places where you can buy something eg. pearl factory, as they get commission on your purchases.
Opticians – thought about getting glasses made up as they are much cheaper but they don’t do eye tests properly: I’ve been short sighted for nearly 30 years so I should know. Only one place got my glasses prescription correct and did a proper eye test. Unfortunately, optician walked off to serve someone else who had just walked through the door although my mother was waiting for him to do eye test so after politely waiting for sometime we walked out, and can’t remember name of place.
Custom – if you do have a dispute always be polite and explain the problem: culturally they are different, maybe it is embarrassing for them to deal with difficult people. We did experience some communication problems but resolved with explanation.
Flying back – we had e-tickets. Patong check-in only provided tickets to Bangkok (pay extra to check-in Bangkok to London approx 700 bht) however they did check the luggage back to UK at that point. So, at Bangkok we had exit (do not follow internal transfer flights), find your carrier (eg. eva air is 4th floor) check-in again (without luggage) to get boarding tickets and go through passport control again.
was going to stay at holiday inn but they didn't have availability - soooo glad about that!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank croftyKent
Reviewed March 19, 2008

My wife and I stayed two days at the Amari before heading over to Phi Phi Island on our honeymoon. We thought the Amari was beautiful - especially the pool area, which overlooks the bay and is absolutely gorgeous with a gorgeous view. We spent all of both days at the pool, having drinks brought to us and snacking from the bar. It was great! I'm not a fan of Patong Beach, too crowded and noisy, and the Amari is set off away from all of that like your own private paradise. There's a pier a short walk away for very private sunbathing and a nice area to snorkel. Not knowing Phuket and Patong before arriving, I was EXTREMELY pleased with the Amari and its location. The restaurants at Patong are within walking distance so that wasn't a problem either. ALSO - the breakfast buffet was tremendous and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Atlanta_Traveler999
Reviewed March 17, 2008

I stayed at Amari last year for 2 days. The place is beautiful and very well maintained. The rooms were very nicely decorated and had a view that looked straight out to the beach. The pool looks over the ocean and is right next to the restaurant. We purchased the option to have breakfast included and it was well worth it. The buffet had a wide variety of hot and cold items as well as fresh juices. We were able to fill up on breakfast and then only eat a small lunch if even at all. They had a dinner buffet too with a cabaret show one of the nights we were there. The buffet was good, you choose your selection of fish and then they cooked it for you and brought it out. The cabaret was only ok, most of the dancers looked bored and like they did not want to be there.

The location is not within walking distance to Patong and you will need to take a cab over to the main area. This can be a plus or minus depending on what you are there for. I personally was not a fan of Patong beach and probably will choose to explore other islands besides Phuket if I get a chance to go back to Thailand. I'm glad I saw it, but don't think I need to do it again. If I did ever go back though, I would definitely stay at Amari.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank manda33
Reviewed March 10, 2008

What can I say about the amari? Well it's the best hotel I've ever stayed at and I've stayed at a few. I would certainly say it is better than the Holiday Inn due to it's location. It's right on the beach, tucked away from the hustle and bustle of Patong. We travelled with Thai air and booked through Thomas Cook, both highly recommended.

The staff here are so unbelievably friendly they really can't do enough for you. The bar staff are always smiling, even though we never tipped them (we tipped the maid who cleaned our room but that was all). Even the gardeners who tended the beautiful grounds would smile and greet you as you walked past. Our maid would leave fresh flowers in our room, and if you wanted them to come back later they would happily oblige, there is even an electronic button outside your room that you can press and it lets the staff who are passing know that you wish your room to be cleaned.

We chose to go for the standard superior rooms, not the deluxe. I wouldn't say it was worth upgrading. The only thing I really missed was having a bath but the shower was huge and the water pressure was like having a massage! Our room was of a very high standard, the decor was fresh and stylish. Our bathroom was beautifully clean, as was the rest of the room. As I have already said the maids cleaned the room brilliantly, and you were even given an English newspaper to read.

There was so much choice for breakfast you can end up having something different every day! Fresh fruit juice of your choice, food cooked in front of you, Americain breakfast, European continental breakfasts, a good old English fry-up, fresh fruit, cereals....

Do go snorkelling if you can. There is a wonderful coral reef, and it is best to access it via the pier. It's like swimming in a fish tank! We also took a couple of excursions while we were at Patong - I recommend the Phi-Phi island tour and Phang-Nga. We also went riding on elephants but do beware which company you chose because we passed a couple and the elephants were kept in dreadful conditions.

Oh and when you leave it will take weeks to get 'tuk tuk? You want a tuk-tuk' out of your mind! They can be a little pushy in Patong!! Patong is definitely an experience, yes you will see go-go girls in the evening, so may be best to avoid it if you have young children. Also the vendors are extremely pushy but laugh it off it's just part of the Patong experience.

I would not hesitate to go back! I keep nagging my other half I certainly don't think it will be the last time I visit the wonderful Amari.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jessiepie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
BYD Lofts Boutique Hotel & Serviced Apartments
The Chava Resort
The Chava Resort
#1 of 36 in Choeng Thale
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach

Been to Amari Phuket? Share your experiences!