“Very Nice Hotel”

Novotel Phuket Resort
Ranked #10 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I did like this hotel although it was very HILLY ! Check in was very smooth. Was shown to our room we had alot of stairs to climb so be aware of this. Room was a seaview room with a balcony. Bathroom was clean and towels where white! The pools are split into 3 levels which was ok but remember you have to walk up and down the stairs to get to the pools. Access to the beach but not without stairs. One good point is the hotel has a shuttle that will take you up to the reception area from the roadside enterance. Breakfast was ample plenty to choose from. I found this to be a quiet hotel on very large grounds. The gardens where beautifully maintained. Hotel is situated a small hike from main shopping areas but it didnt worry me as i love to walk. Hotel does have a shuttle bus that will take you to city centre. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chichy
There are newer reviews for Novotel Phuket Resort

Reviewed September 2, 2011

Reviewed August 31, 2011

The service was lousy. There is a table at reception that specifies daily shuttle timing on an hourly basics to Junceylon. We have check and enquire with hotel reception at 1pm and was informed that the next timing will be at 4pm. We ask why and the staff replied no car. We request for taxi to town. The staff call and there was no cab. She ask us to walk down the slope to take taxi instead. It was raining cats and dogs. Supposingly, the guards on duty were supposed to offer shuttle service to the hotel reception. But they act like didn't see. We have to walk 15 mins back to hotel. I have stay in the hotel because of the name Novotel and it's a 4 star hotel. But it has failed my expectations. This is my 3rd trip to Phuket and first time trying the hotel. I will refuse to stay in this hotel anymore.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 28, 2011

This was our first time to Phuket and we are well travelled so have stayed in many hotels. We chose this hotel mainly due to the reviews, actually it was a toss up between this and another 4 star hotel. Did we make the right choice or what?. Fantastic hotel. I can only give you my experience. The staff from day one were exceptional. from the young trainees to Management. The breakfast, my oh my! it was excellent. I dont know how anyone could not be happy with this. It was like breakfast and brunch all in one with so much to choose from. Even the head of catering Pierre took the time to have a chat with us from time to time.
The swimming pools, crystal clear and spotless. Well maintained grounds and although there were steps everywhere there was an excellent shuttle to bring you back up the road to the main foyer. The hotel was situated high up on the hill side ( too high up for a tsunami to reach it and in light of the terrible one they had a couple of years ago, I was glad about that). The view was worth it being up so high too, the beach was at the bottom of the hill and just across the road, literally about 5 mins walk down the steps and accross the road. Then a 25 min really nice walk to the Jungceylon area where heaps of the action is.

We loved the walk there, as we ate far too much at the buffet breakfast and drank far too many delicious cocktails in the happy hours, but glad to say did not put on any weight due to the all walking and swimming all day.
You could also take the free hotel shuttle to Jungceylon too if you didnt want to walk.

Our room wasa garden view room and we had views of both the ocean and also Patong town area. Huge comfy bed and pillows. I think we had 2 queen bed pushed together, it was massive. I heard comments that the hotel is planning to refurbish some of the rooms next year and this would be one of them but in all honesty it was excellent as it was. OK maybe a revarnish and a regrout in parts of the bathroom as all bathrooms get a bit tired looking in these humid countries after a few years and this hotel is 15 years old but the whole room was lovely and I would not hesitate staying in the same room again. Well worth it..
Comments re the staff. The room cleaning staff were always polite and attentive, some days flowers on our pillows in the evening. There was one young trainee from the Philippines called Katriza working in the bar upsatirs. What a delightful young woman. My husband taught me to play chess while we were there and Katriza used to play chess in the Philippines with her younger brother so she had a game with him a a few times. It was great to see her give him a hiding now and again as he thought he was kingpin because he thrashed me in every game. It was great that Management allowed the staff in their quieter moments to interact with the patrons like this. It all added to our having a really relaxing and refreshing holiday.

Kathy, who is the PR Manager who sits at the desk in the lobby next to the Accor sign. Well nothing was too much trouble for this lady. Her professional manner and beautiful smile every time we spoke to her was genuine and warm. She too made us feel so welcome.
There was even an invitation only cocktail party to meet with Management for some of the guests who perhaps were staying there for a lenght of time. We were invited and that was a nice gesture.
All in all a very nice experinece and I will not need to read reviews for any more hotels for the next tiem we go.I cant wait to return. a 10/10 for this hotel from me.

3  Thank sonandsal
An Accor traveler
Brisbane
Reviewed August 27, 2011

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank An Accor traveler
Reviewed August 26, 2011

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It sits up high and the views are incredible. You could literally just stand on the balcony for hours and look at the ocean. We stayed in room 809 which was a quick walk uphill from the lobby. The lobby sits in the middle of the hotel with rooms below and above it. The grounds are immaculate and the flora so beautiful. Stairs everywhere. Which is a good thing, because despite eating and drinking like there is no tomorrow I did not put on any weight. Which normally I put on quite easily. The hotel provides a service from the lobby down to the road until 11pm. If you go out partying till late the tuk-tuk driver will drop you at the lobby. The hotel is close enough to the main bits of the hustle and bustle. You could walk there within 10-15 minutes. Or just pay the tuk-tuk man the 200Baht. Which we noted was standard even if you were on the other side of the hill ! Do negotiate if you are not happy. Visitors are not the desperate ones here. There are so many and I mean so many taxis drivers, tuk-tuk operators, massage girls, mani-pedi girls, t-shirt and suit sellers you go sleep at night with their calling in your ears !! We felt very safe walking around. Some of the Indian male stall holders we found slightly pushy, so we preferred to deal with females. If you said you were only looking, they would say only selling !! No one was ever rude to us or overbearing as I've found in Bali. And do barter. We were there low season and was told in high season everything goes up. Shopping is dirt cheap and to pamper yourself is a must. Good places to go will follow at the end of the review.
I did not go to the beach as I'm not an ocean person. Plenty of warnings on this website about the scams and the jetskis. People were making use of the para-sailing a lot. We did love, love, love the pools at the hotel. I would prefer if the hotel had a towel policy though in regards to people leaving a towel on a pool chair and never making use of it thus depriving others of the opportunity to use it. Should do what Bali Intercontinental does. So if you are keen get your towel down by 8.30am.
We would walk along the footpath that runs next to the beach area and I was just amazed at the different world we as Aussies live in. Every person you met was happy and so laid back. And cooking took place no matter where they were. We walked over a hill to the other side and saw amazing houses and the views were incredible.
We walked a lot. Found amazing little places and coffee shops that way. We went to the night markets in Phuket Town. Get a taxi to take you there. Whow I shopped till I nearly dropped !!! That was a high light for me. Save your Bhat for that. Eat some of the food too, just make sure it is cooked in front of you.
You can also shop, till you don't wanna see another fake Gucci bag, across the road from the Hard Rock Cafe. There are markets called OTOP. And stop to have a drink at one of the many, many bars.
The Novotel offered lots of activities which also included water sports and local cultural activities. They hire motorbikes out, had a clean taxi service and tours.
If I have to criticise the hotel if would not be major issues, but things that could easily be rectified. The staff tried their best, so friendly and helpful. The manager or at least I assume that is who he is, never approached us or for that matter ever greeted us, although we were there for over 10 days. The hotel was not that full. He had certain European couples he spoke with in the mornings in his mother tongue. In Bali we were greeted by the different managers and made to feel important. I found the manager at the Novotel very aloof.
Breakfast was the standard fair. Certain food items would run out a lot and you could wait up to 20 minutes before staff replaced it. There was always a bacon and croissant race on between guests !! I loved the freshly made omelettes. Coffee I never rate overseas nor did I here. Always so bitter and luke warm.
What did worry me was that certain food items that should be on ice or at least in a cold area - like the cheese, yoghurt, salads and items on the buffet were not kept cold. Thailand is very humid and that concerned me. I also hated enjoying breakfast outside and then two tables away someone would light up a cigarette.
Bar service around the pool was virtually non existent. You had to walk down to the bottom pool where there was a bar for that.
The odd thing about the rooms were the sliding doors in the bathroom. It had a main bathroom door, but then small sliding doors which opened facing the bed ! Was handy if you wanted to shower and watch TV !! Talk about TV - dodgy reception and a DVD player had to be hired from the lobby. So we channel surfed heaps !!
Places to go: Across the road is Baan Kalim - amazing seafood restaurant. We went there twice. At the hotel's own seafood restaurant we had the best surf 'n turf I've ever had. Ten out of ten. Just don't keep the red wine cold !! The hotel's Thai Restaurant's food was also super good. There are heaps of restaurants in Patong Beach - your head will spin.
The best service for nails, proper foot scrub and pedi and the BEST foot massage where you won't be hassled was at Baan Massage which is just off Bangla Road. Ask where The Kee is - a restaurant. Across from The Kee there is a line of shops - and Baan Massage is in the middle. There is a fish spa outside the door. Try that too.
Or try SALA SPA on Bangla Road close to Starbucks. Don't waste your money elsewhere.
A few doors down from Baan Massage I had hi-lites put in my hair for $AUS 45. Even my hubby ended up getting a cut.
We also went upstairs to the Bangla Suites on Bangla Road, and had a meal at their pool deck which was on the top floor. Such great food. Looked at their rooms which were to die for !!! Staying there next !!
All in all your dollar will go far here. We ended up buying a holiday deal with Absolute. There are lots of people stopping you asking if you speak English and then trying to get you to do a scratchie card to see what you've won. They are selling timeshare. Absolute works on a different concept. We had a day at Coconut Island and loved it so much we bought into it. We will return to Phuket in November.
For a first timer it was a bit overwhelming at times to take it all in. Do all the touristy things if that is what you like- we even went to a ladyboy show for 250Bhat on Bangla Road called Moulin Rose. The girls come out onto Bangla Rd just before 9pm in their outrageous outfits and drum up business for the shows. Go, it is clean fun. We laughed so much. My husband fell in love!! They are stunning and the show great.
I did go to Phuket stating I will not ride an elephant or hug a tiger. I didn't. But I did get sucked into the shopping and Bangla Road fun. Go in the day and at night. I was also the ever snob and did not want anything to do with the local bar scene, but one thirsty day we ended up at a beach side bar and just had such a good chat and laugh to the bar girl. If it bothers you to see old blokes with young Thai girls, just ignore them 'cos it is unavoidable.
Plus the airport is not the greatest. Have a meal before you leave as there is no where to sit down and eat something. The airport is an hour's drive from Patong Beach. Arrange with the hotel for pickup. We paid $1200 for a taxi service as we never arranged one thru the hotel.
Hope this helps. We will be back in Phuket and Patong Beach. It is just so great.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 809 which was high up with awesome views. It was in the Hibiscus block.
4  Thank Belinda H
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I have enjoyed every moment staying at Novotel Phuket because I finally got a decent sea view right from my room. I have stayed in chain hotels along Patong Beach and this is one that provided the best view without having to leave the hotel compounds. This means fabulous sunsets right at the hotel lobby. Another great plus is that it is located right next to the beach, at a secluded section away from the hub of activities further down that can be quite annoying. The only negative part is that because it is on the hill, there is a lot of climbing up and down steps and slopes. The comfort is that there is a tuk tuk that brings you up and down hill when you get weary of walking. Also there is a free shuttle service to and from Juncelyon Mall, which is a great plus, as the hotel is located quite a distance away. The gym and massage place did not look quite as appealing hence I did not even bother. As for the pool, there are 3 small pools on different levels which allows for some splashing about if swimming at the beach is not your thing. Food wise, I was not particularly blown away at the breakfast table unlike some other chain hotels I have stayed at down the road. As for my bedroom, it's pretty homely and comfortable. My shower flooded which got fixed after informing the reception. Personally I wish that the Novotel chains could include disposable toothbrush and body lotions as part of the bath kit to make the stay more convenient.

All in all, I'm most happy staying here and would recommend it to anyone who finds having a sea view a top priority in selecting a hotel along Patong Beach, Phuket.

Room Tip: Request for high floor, blocks 5,8,9 appear to have better views
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business