“The most disgusting place to eat”

Ali Baba Restaurant
Ranked #471 of 549 Restaurants in Patong
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The oldest Restaurant in Patong serve Halal Food prepared by Pakistani Indian Experienced Chefs
London, United Kingdom
“The most disgusting place to eat”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went to this restaurant after having seen it being recommended in the Lonely Planet guide. Whoever puts a better rating than poor must be out of their minds! As per other reviews, we walked in and there were only 3 tables that were occupied. There were 3 males working there. One was too busy fiddling with his music to give a damn and kept playing the same song over and over again. The other just stood and looked around and the third was just a kid. As we were deciding on what to order I asked for a melon juice. I waited 20 mins only to have to ask again. I ordered a paneer tikka for starters and paneer makhani as a main. My partner ordered chicken tikka. The paneer tikka was this tiny measley portion - in hindsight thank god - the most bland paneer I have ever tried. They hadn't even marinated it! Just grilled it and served it as is. The chicken was frozen and not fresh at all and the paneer makhani was this bland awful sauce with cubes of raw paneer chucked into it. We had also ordered a side of freshly cut onions and chillies. I would not have touched the onions with a barge pole. They were really old and limp as though they had been cut a week ago and left in the fridge. When we complained the waiter just smiled and walked away. I would not even recommend this place to my worst enemy!

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank DShah144

Avoca Beach, Australia
“Choose elsewhere”
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

This looks like a nice restaurant. ..but looks can be deceiving. This food is overpriced for a start. The staff english is very poor so there were multiple errors with our order and it was a chore. There were only 2 of us and a larger table came in and we were ignored after that point. The service was terrible...the food average...im sure there is far better indian in patong....use the toilet at your peril.

“Waste of time and money”
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

This place was a real disappointment. The food and service was terrible. Food seemed stale and was tasteless. Would never recommend this place. Ordered a chicken curry, tasted like pieces of chicken in butternut soup. No flavour what so ever.

1 Thank Kiran H
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Terrible food, terrible service!!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Went to Ali Baba for dinner one evening. Ordered a non spicy papadum, plain rice and prawn salad. The paladin was spicy but I didn't say anything. Then my salad arrived and it looked very nice but when I started mixing the salad up with the rice, I realized that hidden under the prawns the salad was old, slimy and black, like out of date salad. I showed it to one of the men in the restaurant and said they couldn't serve a salad like that. He looked at the salad and smiled then walked away with my plate and laughed with the other men in the restaurant. Didn't apologise at all. When I got the bill they charged me for the salad (that I sent back) so I said I wasn't going to pay for the salad. Left some money and walked out.
DON'T GO THERE!!! Wonder why people get food poisoning...
I should have taken a picture of the salad before sending it back but I didn't think about it at the time. I took a photo of the dirty table cloth though.

“Disappointing”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We dined at Ali baba's Restaurant as it was reccommended in the latest Lonely Planet mini guide to Phuket. One dish that we ordered, a prawn salad we had to send back to the kitchen as the lettuce hidden under the dressing was black. There was absolutely no apology offered but they asked if we wanted it exchanging and we said no ( our trust was lost because no honest chef would prepare a salad with old, limp, discoloured lettuce )but 20 minutes later another prawn salad was brought to the table which we declined.When we asked for the bill the prawn salad had been charged. We told the waiter that we would only pay for what we ate but not for the salad. He remained silent. If only they had adopted a different attitude we could have continued our meal and perhaps enjoyed our evening

• Visited February 2013