“Mixed feelings”
Review of DDC House

DDC House
Ranked #90 of 421 Patong B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I hesitate writing a review because I have such mixed emotions about this place. But I feel others should know that not everything at this place is 5* as the tripadvisor reviews seem to indicate.

First, DDC house (ie. the owner Ploy) can arrange for a taxi for you from the airport to the hotel. This only costs 500 baht, which is cheaper than any other place I asked. I'm pretty sure it's only that cheap because it is not a licensed taxi, but instead is part of some extended network of the hotel's friends or family members. However, when I arranged (through the hotel) for another taxi to take me back to the airport for my trip home I was quite frightened for my life. The "taxi" pulls up and it looks like a teenager is driving it with red hubcaps on the car and blackened windows. That's not a big deal to me, but when the driver was going 120km/h in a 60km/h zone and zooming in and out of traffic at that speed I was getting pretty scared. Thank god somehow I made it there safe.

Now let's talk about check-in. I booked my stay here through Agoda. Agoda said DDC house had rooms available. Even throughout my stay it continued to say DDC house had rooms available. However, upon check-in they told me I would be put up in a different building as they were full. A different building in Thailand apparently means a different hotel - not DDC house at all. So the deluxe, quiet, top floor room I requested suddenly became a room immediately off of the lobby in Home 8 Hotel just down the street. I told them "no", I wasn't staying in a room that opened to the lobby where everyone was drinking and socializing. Does that sound like a quiet room? So then they walked me to their next "building" which was Nina's Guesthouse. The room there seemed fine and I said I would stay there the night but the next day I wanted them to move me to DDC house. Well, an hour in my room and I find out there are ants all over. They are coming out of the walls, crawling around the cracks in the floors, around the refrigerator, in the bathroom sink, and all over the shelves where my luggage was being kept. At that point I was pretty pissed that I was paying extra for a deluxe room (as compared to a standard room) with a mountain view and this was what they gave me. I don't like bugs, and I don't want to sleep with them crawling on me. I called the owner again and she said she would hopefully switch me the next day to a different room. So I was left to deal with the ants for the night.

The next day came and they did work hard to switch me to a different room by 7pm. She even refunded me 200 baht (which is only about $7 USD) since the room I stayed in the previous night wasn't the same rate. My new room was still not in DDC house, but in The Silk View, a different hotel two doors down. This room was much more up to par though and was very nice. It had the mountain view and was relatively quiet although the walls were paper thin. The bed was comfy, tv and internet worked well. Only complaint is that the bathroom shower didn't drain well at all, and the maids kept bursting in my room every day without even knocking. They would just unlock the door and come strolling in. Is that common practice? They must see some embarrassing stuff if that is what they always do. The maids also played really loud music on my floor for about an hour every day in the middle of the afternoon, which if you are trying to relax in your room is kind of annoying. I couldn't even hear my tv above their music.

Well, to end on a more positive note - Ploy is a kind lady and will do her best to make sure you are happy. She books tours for you at a discount rate. Her fiance was very nice and gave me a lift on his motorbike to the beach twice. I was feeling pretty sick the whole time I was there and definitely couldn't have made the walk down there. The breakfast at DDC house is good. I wish I could have felt better to eat it more. I was only able to have it on one day.

I just wish somewhere on agoda or tripadvisor it would say that DDC house is really part of a big family operation with all of the other hotels surrounding it and you may be staying at a different hotel. Perhaps that is a common way to run things in Thailand? I'm not sure. I was left feeling kind of scammed because I was put in different places. Although the place I ended up in was fine, it would have been nice to know what it was like to stay at DDC house, as I did pick it out based on all of the good reviews I saw here on tripadvisor. Nina's guesthouse and the Silk View and Home 8 Hotel don't have as good of reviews, so that is why I didn't book with them initially.

Room Tip: rooms off of the main street are quieter, but make sure you aren't by any construction, there is...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank am5

Reviewed February 9, 2013

we stayed here for 3 days, we had a great time, nice & clean room, excellent service. Ploy run this hotel to highest level, defnitly value for money. Ploy is a nice & kind lady always ready to help in every matter, always smilling. Really everryone will defnitly enjoy staying here. Just 5 min walk to Mall, 10 min walk to beach & 15 min walk to Bangala Road
You can book trip, ticket, rent a bike etc from , everything under one roof

Room Tip: Take a rent a bike u will really enjoy,
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Moved from APK to DDC house after the new year
Loved my stay at DDC I felt so welcome Ploy really try's her
Best to accommodate everyone the rooms are clean and and
Have all you could want. The bed was great could sleep in it all day
Breakfast has a great selection and all you need to get you
Started for the day. Ploy is a founten of knowledge for all you
Could ever want to know about trips around thailand.
I would recommend DDC house and would go back if I get the chance.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amy J
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

We where in building 2 as they call it paying £25a night inc breakfast for two , ddc own 3 hotels all closr and all i can say is building two is fantastic , lovely room comfortable bed whisper quiet air con , the staff are lovely and helpful , my girlfriend had pedicure and manicure for £8 and it took two hours and she said it was the best ever ! Breakfast is very nice and the lady who runs ddc cant do enough for you ! Its about 20 mins to town and a slightly hazardous journey as paths are something thIas Do vey badly , but its an interesting town and if ur sick of the sun the pictures are only £2.50 each and fantastic seats, anyway great place for hedonistic few days

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Was a really pleasure to stay in this hotel. Staff is so kind, rooms very clean and very good breakfast. We also rent a motorbike here and the price was very good!!! Not so close to the mess of bangla rd, that means is very quite, but it is close enough to go easily with motorbikes.
You will enjoy staying here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 5, 2013

i go Patong for only 3 day with boyfriend. i pay for hotel at DDC house but first night the DDC lady tell me I must stay at The Marq one night and 2 night Silk View. She waste my vacation time moving hotel. 1 day i can't do nothing because I move from Marq to Silk. The lady tell me I should wait at Marq lobby 2 hours after checkout before I can checkin Silk. Marq staff tell me they have room but DDC lady said they have no room.

At first i think lady is nice and make mistake. Now i know she is nice when you buy her tour. We buy tour another shop because they had price 15% lower. But when she know we but another shop she look very angry and not say hi at breakfast everyday. I think why she angry when she waste our vacation time?

i don't know about her hotel because i never stay there i only pay to stay there. The other hotel said she send us customer everyday. I think reserve with the other hotel they are nice hotel better than DDC house.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jchien93
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great little guest house located walking distance to main shopping areas and night life. The In house manager Ploy is the sweetest Thai person u will meet always ready to help out with any daily drama u might encounter. She also has a Internet cafe, day trips, visa runs, Taxi services, local activities, bike rentals all you have to do is ask!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo