“Some value for money but that's about it.”

Sai Rougn Residence
Ranked #116 of 337 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. The cost was a good value for a clean room but the staff was very very unhelpful. Now I understand that not everyone should speak English but the english spoken here was very poor and they were unable to understand us when we were seeking help with a few things.
First night we ate dinner at the restaurant shortly after we arrived. After we placed the order they came back with the menu and pointed to two things ( a starter and an entree/main) and said 'no have, no more' I said okay and picked another entree/main and said we wouldn't have any other starter. When the food arrived, they gave me BOTH entrees ( a lamb dish and cassoulet). I have no idea what happened or what they were trying to communicate to me previously but at that point I figured if the communication was going this poorly I wasn't going to even bother trying to figure out the situation and I just ate some of both and paid for it. I live in India (I'm an American) and I'm used to things like this happening ALL the time so I usually just roll with it, its not worth getting upset about these types of things and it wasn't that huge of a cost. We had planned to take a local ferry out of Phuket to Railay Beach in Krabi for the day. I thought maybe the hotel could give me some info on how to get to the ferry, how to book a ticket etc . I had found a website but I thought it might be easier to do it this way. Forget it. THey just kept handing me brochures for the boat tours to James Bond Island etc. They had no idea what I was asking about . When I asked if there was someone else who spoke English the woman replied "no, but I speak English" Not very well though...moving on, I booked the tickets online. I needed to print my email for my tickets. I asked if I could forward the email to them and if they could print it. No was the answer. Okay, I hoped a ride in their taxi to an internet cafe and did it for 25 baht. We also were heading out early each of the 3 days we were there (ferry and two boat tours). I asked about breakfast and was told that it was at 7:30am. We were leaving at 7 each day. I asked if there was any thing we could take for breakfast in the morning. They said no, kitchens not open until 7:30 and no one can cook etc. I said that's fine, we don't want eggs or anything can we just have a banana or a roll or yogurt. No was the answer. No one will be there until 7:30 (which wasn't true because every morning at 7am someone was setting up breakfast). I said what about just putting it aside for us tonite in a bag and we can grab it in the morning. No they said. Oh well, we paid for the breakfast with the rate but I can't comment on how it was since we never ate anything. The first night the A/C in our room reeked of cigarette smoke. They very nicely changed us the next day. No help with bags or anything but they let us have a new room. My husband lugged all the bags from the 2nd to the 4th floor on his own. The rooms are very basic (like a 60s era motel) and only had 3 bath towels (there were 4 of us). No washcloths, no hand towels nothing. The two showers had no curtains and were open to the entire bathroom so after a shower there is water everywhere! No A/C in the main living room. It was very hot while we were there (at least 95/33 and humid) so we didn't really sit in there. We were very busy with our boat tours so it didn't really matter. The taxi service was decent but again, no one spoke very much English and the last day they couldn't understand where we were so we grabbed a paid taxi home. On check out it took forever and they didn't want to take my credit card. Since we were rushing to take a hired car to our next boat ride (they also insisted that we pay them at 7am even though we were storing our bags and coming back at 5) I just gave them the cash (all I had). When we got back at 5 I though we could grab some dinner before we headed to our next hotel (the amazing and highly recommended JW Marriott in Khao Lak). They have a menu that says 'Snacks 12 noon until 6pm" that has hamburgers, hotdogs, sandwiches etc. When I asked if we could order something they said...wait for it... No. Kitchens not open. The location is up a very high hill which was only a problem because it was so so hot. Overall I would only recommend this place if you really can't find anything else to fit 4 people in a room (our reason) and the price is right. Otherwise, I'm sure you can find something better. The pool was nice though and the kids enjoyed it at the end of the day after our boat rides.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TrishandIan

Reviewed March 26, 2013

This was a great little hotel in most aspects. We stayed at this hotel for five nights. The service was awesome, very friendly and extremely helpful staff. The drop off and pick up shuttle was great, breakfast wasn't bad, no verity but still yummy. The pool was nice with lots of sun. And the rooms were well cleaned. And the beds were nice.

On the downside. The Decor if the rooms is pretty old school, really 60's. and they don't look much like the pictures and there was no tv in bedroom in the bungalow suit (only in the lounge area) the hotel was full of Russians that can be kinda rude. And last the location is a little hard to find, as well as its a bit far from things. But if you like the quiet it's fantastic.

Over all the hotel was good for its value.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel is very nice. peace all around no traffic or other noise, breakfast was awesome. Although beach is bit far but i love to walk so didn't have any trouble in walking 15 min. The Pool is neat and clean and not crowed. This place is very good for family and couples.

Room Tip: Prefer to choose pool side view room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Darshan B
Reviewed March 6, 2013

the first night here our fan caught on fire on the roof, the motor had died, so had to wait next day for another, we went out that night came home to try have a shower and there was no hot water so i went to desk and the staff at the time handled it very poorly and wouldnt contact the manager for me, they said would send someone to repair in morning and they did and from then on was great stay
the staff were very friendly and and provided a shuttle taxi and breaky with only 6 choices each day of the same, but still eggs and bacon and ham each day with toast, they also have milo cereal free coffee tea, and juice.
Was good stay we stayed 8 nights, the 3rd rooms bed was horrible bunk beds felt like planks of wood so they didnt get used.
The hotel is up on a hill thats pretty steep very annoying to walk up lol but good excericse.

all in all i would happily stay here again as i feel they really went out of there way to help us with the stay and taxi after the crap we had the first night which did get handled the next morning. Pool is nice, and the boys had massages and enjoyed them. some speak clearly and some dont, some really didnt understand simple aussie things we said but thats to be expected and if you order meat say well done, as my burger i ordered was still bit pink in middle :(

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We had stayed here for 1 night (and 2 days) in Jan 2013. Its pretty close to the beach area (which is the happening place) i.e. about 2 km but its located uphill (that too pretty steep slope for about 300 metres. A hired taxi (the jeep type one here) charges anywhere around 100-200 Baht for return to hotel from the beach area **note that these rates can be bargained. About the hotel, its neat and well maintained. The pool was pretty good one and we had a great time playing in the pool. Coming to the rooms, it was pretty big room compared to other budget hotels, bathroom was small though and pretty average too. Staffs were polite and helpful and the breakfast served was pretty decent one too.

Room Tip: Try to get the pool facing room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Navin S
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I found this place very clean and staff friendly ,they offer free shuttle to the beach when ever you need .if walking back from the beach the hill is a killer but great for legs .would recommend to family's and couples .

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Yvette M
Reviewed January 4, 2013

they will not settle you if you don't have your immigration card with you. )= even if you have already paid.

another problem - a huge amount of ants in the bathroom.

and you will always have eggs for breakfast. always...

Room Tip: rooms on the right building are not good because there is garbage under its windows, on the street...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Kelly's Residency
The Crib Patong
The Crib Patong
#68 of 337 in Patong
Austrian Garden Tai Pan Village

Been to Sai Rougn Residence? Share your experiences!