“Not my cup of tea” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #133 of 397 Patong B&B and Inns
Auckland, New Zealand
“Not my cup of tea”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

Expedia offered this hotel as '50% off' but I saw the walk in rates were the same as what I'd paid so I had expected a better hotel for the price.
Stairs leading up to the room smelt of old sweat or something like that.
When the room key gets taken out of the holder the air conditioning turns off so whenever I went out I always came back to a very hot little room.
Very noisy street noise coming into the room all night, I guess this is to be expected.
Lack of security - when you leave the room, they take your room key, place it on their desk. I think it would be quite easy for anyone to walk up, see the room list which is also nearby and ask for the appropriate room key.
The night receptionist who didn't speak much English said to me 'you bad man' cause I used my left over 10baht coins (about 8 of them) to pay him for the taxi I'd prebooked to take me to the airport. Maybe he doesn't know that coins are worthless outside of Thailand. He really didn't want the coins, as if they held less value or something but eventually he took them. Strange.
The guy doing the check in was fine.
Internet worked well.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Gunter W, Owner at Apsara Residence, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear Guest, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor, Travelers really like to know what is going on at the hotel they will or wanted to visit. Unfortunately the score you gave my business was below average what of course I regret. I would like to respond on some of your remarks. First of all the hotel was just totally repainted a few days before your arrival, even we used odorless paint there will always be some smell left behind. I would like to apologize for this. The air-conditioning we have in the room makes the room cool within 10 to 15 minutes but on a simple request we would be glad to hand over you an extra key so your room would be cool at any time you enter it. Same remark regarding the room key, we don't force our guests to leave the key at the reception, it is just for your own comfort. And there are CCTV cameras installed on every floor for yours and our safety. Thank you for mention that the check in went fluently and the internet worked well. It was me who did the check in :-) Sorry for some inconvenience, I hope we can do better for you next time. Gunter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

I really loved my stay at this hotel. It's a small hotel over 3 floors I believe. My room was spacious and clean. The staff were very polite and efficient. It's close to the noisy nightlife but far enough to be quiet especially once the balcony doors are shut. Beach towels were provided free everyday along with 2 free bottles of water. On checking out, they booked a really cheap minibus ride to the Airport for me.
Will I stay here again? Most definitely!

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

This hotel is about a block and a half from the famous Bangla Road. The people are friendly and the price is right. The rooms are very nice, good air conditioning, good water pressure and hot water even on the fourth floor, good internet. Bed was a little hard for my taste, but that's better than the the alternative. The lack of an elevator was an unfortunate surprise for someone in the 60-plus category like me, and there is no one there to help. Even though it is some distance from Bangla, Soi San Sabai has its own night time hotspots, and it can be noisy into the wee hours. But then, if that's why you plan to visit -- no problem.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Gothenburg, Västra Götaland, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

That hotel very good and clean and easy to go to the shopping center . The staff are friendly and room rate very good too. If u want to find nice hotel in Patong I recommend this hotel .
Hotel location easy to find and have many restaurant around.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Kuta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

"One night with us and you'll know why." That's the tagline this hotel uses to show their great services for customers.
Was staying in this hotel for couples of night and felt like home. The staffs were very friendly and helpful.
Room was spacious with aircond and bathroom attached to hot shower, international tv channels and comfortable bed and pillows.
The location is very good, strategically located 3 minutes walk to the Bangla Road where all the night attractions are ready for all travelers.
The owner was very delightful and helpful, he always give us suggestion or very good tips for anything I need pleasantly.
Never hesitate to stay in this hotel for another visit!
Very Recommended!

Room Tip: Book direct to its booking site will be easier and so many times got better price.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Batu Pahat, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

1. Great service: Kind & Friendly Boss & Staff: they gave us quite complete information (hotel T&C; location; bargaining skill; cheap & dining suggestion; the risk of rent a motorbike; n some others info) when we checking in.
2. The rooms is clean!
3. Great in price (VALUABLE)
4. Good location: everywhere are near (shopping center; beach side; restaurant ); near bangla street, but not that noise..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here for a night, and the location is very good, walking distance to the main area. Didn't like that it was an hour drive from the Phuket airport, but that's not the hotels fault, just where the main area is. It's a small hotel on top of a pharmacy, so as it didn't look the nicest, the rooms were pretty decent and the staff was friendly. The downside is it can be quite noisy, as we could hear some club music going on outside the room. However, we checked out and went for breakfast, then came back to get our luggage and I had forgotten my passport and expensive camera in the room, and they gave it back to me right away, without me even asking! (I had not yet realised I had lost it). This made us very impressed with the hotel, as they saved me a lot of hassle and money! Loved that it was trust worthy, so stayed there again when we were in Phuket a couple days later. Its nothing fancy at all, but absolutely worth the $20 a night!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Acca Patong
#5 of 397 in Patong
Cheap Rooms Guesthouse
Cheap Rooms Guesthouse
#94 of 397 in Patong

Been to Apsara Residence? Share your experiences!