“Average food and atmosphere”

Roma Ristorante & Pizzeria Da Mauro
Ranked #55 of 550 Restaurants in Patong
Cuisines: Italian, International
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Roma restaurant and pizzeria Da Mauro , is the oldest real Italian restaurant from 1985 , with owner italian chef Mauro , since the first day and till today. From beginning of october 2013 we open a new restaurant and pizzeria oven wood fire at the Banana Walk Mall,on Patong beach front,with sea view big terrace.See u there soon ,ciao Mauro.
Melbourne
“Average food and atmosphere”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We went to Roma after a recommendation from our friends that visit Phuket every year. Being our first trip to Thailand we were very keen to get stuck into the amazing Thai food on offer but decided as Roma’s was considered to be their place to eat in Patong we’d try it out.

We found the menu to be quite extensive however, not very exciting. We started with garlic bread which was your typical Thai bread (thinly sliced and plain) with tinned garlic and butter, pretty boring considering they have an Italian chef. We also ordered prosciutto and mozzarella starter which consisted of the same bread sliced and hardly toasted with one piece of prosciutto and hardly any mozzarella. And the bruchetta which was really nice, the tomato and onion was fresh and the bread wasn’t too toasted.

Having seen the extensive range of wines on the walls I was interested to see what they had on offer. On the menu the wine is listed as “white or red” I asked one of the staff what sort of white wine was on offer and she had no idea what I was talking about. Yes, I am aware that this restaurant is in the heart of Patong and not Italy but I would have assumed with an Italian chef and an extensive range of wines that they would know that there are not just two types of wines; red and white.

My partner and I both had pasta dishes, they were both quite plain and bland. The pasta wasn’t home-made as we had expected with an Italian chef and the ingredients weren’t as fresh as we would have expected. Especially the seafood in my partners pasta.

All in all we found it to be very overrated for what it was and we wouldn’t go back. Maybe for lunch when there is not much food on offer elsewhere in Patong but certainly not for dinner when there are other amazing restaurants around.

• Visited November 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Honolulu
“Very Good Food in Nice Atmosphere”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We had dinner upstairs, which was more pleasant and certainly quieter than downstairs. The chef (and owner?) personally greeted us. The Caesar salad and the ensalada caprese were very good. The medium-rare pepper steak arrived rare, but they brought it back done medium rare without an argument. Two of us had the cannelloni Bolognese, which was average IMHO. The salmon sauce on pasta was not what my guest expected. Overall, I found the food to be a bit underwhelming. Perhaps we just ordered the wrong dishes.

Visited November 2012
13 Thank Morocho
Brisbane, Australia
“Expected more”
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Dinner tonight on the strength of T/A. A little underwhelming to be honest, bruschetta was pretty ordinary and pizza was very bland. Maybe I am used to "Aussie" pizza but found it lacking in taste and the seafood was non existent on the pizza we had. Yes owner circulating the room was a nice touch.

1 Thank SRH17
Middlesex, England
“Overated”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Ventured into this restaurant because of the reviews I read on Trip advisor. I was dissapointed. Great service and a very friendly owner who makes you feel very welcome. 5 stars for that. Food was average. Ordered the arrabiata which was dissapointing. Great Garlic bread. Overall not that pleased. Try the Italian at the Holiday Inn instead

Visited October 2012
4 Thank Nick0209
mauropar, Owner at Roma Ristorante & Pizzeria Da Mauro, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for your time writing this feedback, sir, but are not clear a lot of things that you wrote, we have service, atmosphere, chefs, garlic bread from 5 stars, but let down by arrabbiata sauce only ? Funny sir, you judge our restaurant in this way with very few details about the food,and then try to advertise somewhere else. with foreign management, definetely not italian, sorry but none of this makes sense to me, sorry I'm a little disappointed by your little loyalty towards us, I look forward to your kind visit, to change your mind, with our best quality. Ps: it is not right to advertise elsewhere for personal reasons on the pages of respectable restaurants, thanks and greetings.
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Pizza and Pasta”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Usually in Thailand we eat Thai but needed a change so a friend recommended Roma. This was our fist visit and we would go again. The meals were HUGE, the owner very friendly and staff great. Food was tasty and wine good.

• Visited October 2012