“Lantern Resort Patong in Phuket Thailand”

The Lantern Resorts Patong
Ranked #31 of 337 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed January 24, 2012

My wife and I spent three nights in the Lantern Resort hotel in Phuket, Thailand from22 January till 25 January, over the Chinese New Year peak period.

The hotel is situated right in the middle of the tourist strip. There are many restaurants and shops around the hotel. Some are open 24/7.

There are characters of every description and many Europeans. There were groups of Russians and mainland Chinese in the hotel. They came in tour groups. Some establishments display their services in Russian.

The staff do not understand English very well. I had to write down our request for more toilet paper and facial tissue before we got them. They just did not understand our verbal request on the first occasion. The written request was immediately dealt with.

Communication might be a problem in Thailand if you speak English. Some of the service personnel in the shops and money exchangers turn absolutely surly when spoken to in English! The attendant at each of 2 CIMB Thai foreign currency kiosks in the Jungceylon complex, very popular with tourists stand out in rudeness. I came with the impression that Thailand was a land of smiles. It turns out that Thailand has become a 'land of snarls".

The Lantern Resort is about 15 minutes from the beach. There are other hotels nearer to the beach.

The beach is good and clean with deck-chairs for hire at THB200 for the whole day. We stayed only 3 hours before got too hot.

We had the best seafood we had eaten at a restaurant called 'Mr. Good Seafood Restaurant'. It was crowded but a sweet little waitress made sure we were seated within 10 minutes and took our orders correctly. She deserved the tip my wife gave her.

For lunch, we had pan-fried seabass at a restaurant called Urban Food in the Jungceylon complex. It was delicious and cooked just right. Salad was unlimited.

By the way, tips are expected everywhere.

Room Tip: No room has a sea view. Ask for a room facing away from the street. The disco played loud music till...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michaelKualaLumpur

Reviewed January 22, 2012

I wasnt sure about my rating on this one. Been there twice. The room is fine but there are issues here. I would give the room 3 stars but because they seem to dont care at all about noise and the customers wellbeing, AND because of the internet access, I give it 2.

Lantern is fairly new, I believe its about 1½ old. I got a Pool Pent which is a big spacious room with immediate access to the pool when you open the terrace door. Take 4 steps and you are in the pool. Table and chair out side and its very nice sitting there with your morning cup of coffee and a following dip.

There is an xtra dining room with a kitchenette and fridge.

Bathroom is very boring I think. Its dark, has a weird layout and I would have liked the sink area to be bigger with more space to put things.

The internet is a chapter of its own. First, it cost a fortune and I think it was close to 500 baht/day ! Or you can buy access for say 4 hrs total. So I tried that. Turns out you have to go thru the most annoying, stupid and insane sequence to log on to it. Codes you cant remember, several of them. And when you are done with the internet, you even have to log out so it doesnt keep counting minutes on your 'minutes account'. Insanely expensive and complicated. This is the worst I have ever seen - ever! - and whoever thought it out is a complete idiot ! In comparison, you can go to the mall, get an AIS USB internet dongle, 30 days use, for 1800 baht. Different setups and GB download capacities so it can be even cheaper. I suggest Lantern's system to be boycotted into oblivion. Only way it can be changed.

As one reviewer wrote, the noise here is at an absolutely unacceptable level ! Concrete and marble all over and nothing on the walls, no decor, no paintings/cloths, nothing to silence sound. I stayed once in the wing to the right of the reception, building not close to the pool. Here there was little noise but probably mostly due to the time I was there which was off season.

2nd time was by the pool and all day/evening/night doors slammed, loud drunken idiots were coming home, argueing etc. And when I say doors slamming, I mean its VERY loud !! And the noise can be heard all thru the wing, right from the entrance next to the reception. Thats how bad it is. On top of that, this hotel has an outside bar which they open up at dinner time to sell cheap cocktails (cheap and good btw) along with other hotels including the ones across the street. Music from these places which is LOUD, can also be heard inside the lantern rooms.

A sidenote but it seems that every where I go, if there is noise in a hotel, its from russian guests. They are the most obnoxious and bad-mannered people out there, with no respect for others.

The breakfast is no good. White bread and pastry dominance. Every time you go to have breakfast, you have to give them a coupon which they are very adamant about. Stupid system.

And finally I agree with the other writer that says checkout takes too long. It does take too long, too much paperwork and they dont seem to have the full grasp on the tasks at hand

Location on Soi San Sabai is superb and close to everything.

Having addressed the noise level I would say that if they fix this problem AND the immensely stupid internet access issue, and also make it cheaper, The Lantern could be a very nice place to stay. It also has a convenient underground parking garage.

And again, if you are in Phuket island for some time and wants to go see things, DO rent your own car at Phuket Airport which in turn is a lot cheaper than taxis. A reviewer says that if they didnt pay the hotel, the shuttle didnt want to take them. No worries about getting to the airport from Patong. There is a standard price of 800 baht, no matter if you let the hotel order one for you or you haul one from the street. I recommend you go down by the Jungceylon mall which is a 'hub' for taxis etc, and make a deal yourself if you dont think the hotel is up for it.
Under no circumstance you should pay more than 800 baht. Some try and say 1000-1200 but just ignore them.

You can even choose which kind of car you want to go in. I have gone in a Fortuner with incliner seats and it was a very nice ride. Tried a Honda Accord, also very nice. In both cases, the drivers were calm, drove nice and smoothly. Remember that almost all 'taxis' and shuttles to the airport are private cars.

Room Tip: Pool Pent room on ground florr has direct access to the pool.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ArchStantonTh
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Clearly, the only attraction for staying here would be the location. Its handy to both the shopping mall and Bangla Road in Patong. But thats really about it.

Its a new hotel, but the cracks are already starting to appear. The housekeepers do a terrible job of cleaning - both the rooms and common areas. Our room was poorly cleaned the entire time we were there, and nothing was refreshed - so we had to wash our drinking glasses in the bathroom sink. The light fixutres are falling apart and no longer fit into the walls, the beds are on wheels so move about at any point and there were power cuts during out stay.

The hotel is also constructed purely out of concrete and tiled flooring. This means the entire place echos. We were kept awake all night with slamming of doors, loud music and drunken hotel guests. Everything echos, and the noise does not stop untill 6am in the morning.

I have to also note the type of guest this hotel attracts is your typical back packer. While it says it is a resort, its not really so. The type of people that stayed here were rude, obnoxious and arrogant. If you want to stay in a friendly environment, forget it, this place has nothing to offer.

Lastly, the check out. This took over 45 minutes because the hotel manager just didnt know anything. It took them 25 minutes to inspect our room to see if we had used anything from the mini bar. We asked for the final bill, and we were informed everything had already been paid - i assumed though credit card. Then moments before our airport transfers arrives, they come yelling say we still owe them money. We happily pay, and then receive our final statement saying all is paid. Then on the way to the airport, i assume the driver gets a call, pulls over and this women comes banging up to the door demanding more money. I show her the final bill yet she claims we owe the hotel MORE money. We had no choice but to pay, otherwise the shuttle wouldn't go. The rudeness of the this hotel was astonishing. Totally unprofessional and not worth the money we spent.

Also, do NOT trust their room rates. They charge locals a far cheaper price and we saw many other guests paying exorbitant prices for a 2 star hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sterego
Reviewed December 14, 2011

I didn't encounter the problems the other guests did. My only concern is internet wifi is expensive. Room given to me was smoking floor on the ground floor. I asked to be transferred and the front desk gave me a free upgrade to the 4f. They were accomodating. I tried 3 hotels during my stay in Phuket as I am a first time visitor. This is the best among the three. I'll definitely stay here next time I come back with my family

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Stayed 2 nights with wife and friends in view pent rooms, mine facing city viewing back of Jungceylon (not very nice view), friends facing the other hotel block & lobby (better). Location, its near to Jungceylon & Bangla Road, both around 5 mins walk. Staff are friendly and understand basic english. Rooms & bath are spacious, but needed improvement, eg. daybed or extra chairs/sofas (only got 1 chair in the room) Clean & modern decors. Should have provide hairdryer and traveler-adapter in-room, not by request. No place to put luggage, have to lay it down on the floor. Breakfast food is nice but lack of selection. Restaurant service is a bit slow and even the manager couldnt speak much english. Stay-able for the price & location, but prefer another which we stayed earlier which is around 1500 bath more expensive.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RaymondChu
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My boyfriend have never been to Phuket so what better way to introduce him by staying right where the bustle and seediness of Patong is located?! The Latern is very convenient in terms of location and the amenities are very basic. Was given the ground floor room, with the view of the reception... so make sure the curtains are drawn shut at all times, unless you are an exhibitionist. Anyway, the room given was spacious and good shower area - clean and no frills. Location wise, it is a 5 minute stroll away from the main street of Patong where all the bars, "shows" are located. There is also a pharmacy and a convenient store nearby, and (wait for this) shopping mall - Jungceylon. There you can find, McD, Swenson, Boots, etc.

Lantern is ideal for short stay and long stay but not for romantic getaway. A good introduction to Patong though, as the hotel is strategically located, has a simple and minimalist interior, and friendly front office staff.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Nice hotel. Good value for the money. Big rooms modern ammenities. Was clean and had a great location walking to the main strip. Had no noise issues. They charge for internet which isnt that great. But overall a decent hotel.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the bigger room upgrade.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends