“Average Budget Hotel”

Ranked #85 of 407 Patong B&B and Inns
Stanwood, Washington
“Average Budget Hotel”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We chose this hotel based on the excellent reviews it had received. I do not understand how this hotel has such great reviews. I don't think it deserves bad reviews, but it definitely doesn't deserve good reviews. This is by no means a bad hotel for the price we paid. It is a budget hotel and I will review it based on this fact. Just expect an average budget hotel and you will be happy.

First, I would like to say that the front desk staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Their English is excellent so communication wasn't a problem. The big problem is that nobody is there. We waited almost 10 minutes upon arrival for somebody to show up at the front desk. There was nobody there when we went to check out. In fact, the door was locked! Luckily the door to the restaurant was cracked open, so we went inside there and just left our key on the counter.

Our room was large, but dated. It had a balcony and air conditioning. The air conditioner only turns on when you put your key in the card reader, so every time you enter your room it is extremely hot. The air conditioner will cool it down to an acceptable level, but there is no temperature adjustment so it will never get cool. My wife, son, and I slept on top of the covers every night because the air temperature never cooled down enough. Another problem we had with our room was ants. We let the front desk know and they came in and sprayed (they did not offer us a different room). The next day the ants were back. They came and sprayed again. The next day they were back. There weren't a lot of ants, and they were very tiny and didn't seem to be interested in anything but the wood chair across the room. They just made a trail from the hole in the wall to the chair and back. But we still kept our bags up on the shelves of the closet.

There are many restaurants within walking distance and a 7-11 right across the street. There is a coin operated laundry right in front of the hotel. If you book any excursions and they say they will meet you in the lobby, don't believe it. Many of the drivers cannot find these smaller hotels. You will have to walk to the main road and wait there - but that's no big deal. The hotel is nowhere near the beach. It is a minimum 20 minute walk (my wife and I are in our 30's and very fit). There is a sign for the hotel which says free transportation to the beach, but when we asked about it the front desk said they weren't aware of this or how to arrange it.

One great thing about this hotel is on EVERY excursion we went on, we were the first people they dropped off, so we didn't have to ride around as long as everybody else. If you want a decent budget hotel and don't want to be near the beach, this is your hotel.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rjw35

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Booked with Tropical via email back in Oct 2012. Friendly enough exchange of emails. Room rate included breakfasts. Was supposed to stay 4 nights. We were told breakfast was at 8am. Next morning no one was at the front desk and restaurant was locked. We grabbed some eats across the street. With no one on duty at reception, we finally woke the night manager up at noon.. Paid him for the one night minus the 300 bhat it cost us for breakfast and we found a nicer place a few doors away for considerably less.

Noisy A/C..
Beds are rock hard
Expensive too !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Yongchuan, Chongqing, China
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great hotel with good helpful and friendly staff. I would definitely recommend it to anyone travelling to Phuket. Also there is a great french restaurant down the street. The girl at the front desk (I forget her name) was great for everything that we needed. I will definitely stay there again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emmanuel W
Shanghai, China
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Based on the excellent reviews I read here, I decided to book the Tropical Inn for my Phuket holiday this time.I booked through booking.com, and left message in the booking that I wanted them to contact me about airport pick-up. But weeks passed, nothing from them at all. And then I tried to catch them through email. Still nothing. I figured there might be some trouble with the place, so I decided to call. lucky me I called, there's no one answering the phone at day time!
When I was seeking any information about the place, I found out from one previous review here that the place had been sold out quite a while ago. I felt like being cheated all this time. I canceled my booking and booked another hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
phukettropicalinn, Ex-Owner at Baan Suk-Kho Boutique Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
I am so sorry to read this this review
I worked so hard to build this hotel to number 1 before I sold it & to hear your experience breaks my heart
no one should ever experience what you have
from this point forward I will no longer be associated with this hotel
when I sold it they assured me that the High Standards I had set would be maintained & improved on where possible but this is obviously not the case & their rating will suffer greatly because of it
Guests should always receive more than they expect & it is totally unexceptionable to receive anything else
I am embarrassed & shame on the management for letting this happen & ruining your holiday
Lindsay
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed there for 2 nights and the service was very good and the room/bathroom was very clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Its almost 15 minutes walk from the beach. Overall its a good place to stay and great value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Umar.911
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Its a nice small hotel with friendly staff who was really helpful in giving us the info about whatever we asked (thank you Sao!). The deluxe room we booked was quite large with tea/coffee making facilities and complimentary water. The food in a restaurant was unexpectedly delicious, it was really surprising to have Russian food in Patong! The location is quite good as its not in a center of entertainment area but quite close to all main places in Patong. Also 7/11 is just opposite the road which makes easier to get basic stuff for travel. Generally I would say that it was a perfect choice of hotel for the value of money we paid.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are bigger, they are just a bit more expensive but it worth it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aisha L
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Nice hotel, owned by Russian guys, with an authentic Russian restaurant downstairs. I booked it since it was almost the only available and affordable hotel at Phuket on New Year. Everything is just fine, but if you come to Phuket for some quiet beach vacation, you will probably get disappointed (well, in general, you will be disappointed if you stay anywhere in Patong ;-)). If you come for nightlife, bars and other activities that Patong offers, Tropical Inn would be just fine as it is 10 mins walk to Bangla but located in a quiet side-street.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family