“fake 5 star”

Ranked #61 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Bangkok, Thailand
“fake 5 star”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My wife and I stayed 10 days at sea pearl villa resort and It was an experience I do not want to repeat.
The restaurants serves tasteless food ,from breakfast to dinner.low end products ,what I call cardboard food, the fruits tasteless, the rolls and breads from cheap bakery,the jams looked more like jello,all sugar, no fruits. The service was mediocre and unprofessional, not attentive,I thought I was at a self serve . Bar men instead
Of serving by pool side, playing cards on the floor behind bar ,blasting what they want hear on two rigged speakers. Umbrellas do not give shade as they are anchored to floor and do not bend,so you just burn. The cleaning crew for bedrooms was sloppy,it was the daily routine to return to our room and find half the room done, the joke was which half would be done.
The laundry changed all my whites into colours and put some items that were not suppose to go to laundry instead of dry cleaning, even though we clearly filled out the form. The location
Of this hotel is terrible.It looks fancy on the pictures but as an experience a big let down.
And last and not least I have been waiting for a refund on my credit card for five weeks,they charged the whole amount of my stay on my card without my approval previous to my arrival,not just the deposit,when I arrived I expressed the wish to settle the bill in cash which the manager Mr.Willy
Approved and promised me a refund in ten days ,on the credit card that had been charged. That was Five weeks ago and I am still waiting for this credit refund ,very shady.the wifi was somewhat of a joke. 5 dollars for a bucket of ice. 10 dollars for a taxi regardless you go a 100 feet or Three miles . Unless you have a specific reason to go to petong there are much nicer areas in Thailand to visit as I have done over the years.

Marc Depinoy

Room Tip: Upper rooms have bad wifi
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank marc d
Robin L, General Manager at Wyndham Sea Pearl Resort Phuket, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Marc D,

Thank you for posting you constructive comments on Tripadvisor.
All your comments from breakfast to dinner, barman playing cards, room cleaning and laundry has been duly noted and looked into.

As for the Laundry, our record showed that you sent your laundry twice during your stay and both Laundry List showed that items sent were to be laundered and not for dry cleaning.

Under Booking.com reservations conditions, we are authorized to deduct 50% of total room charge in order to guarantee guests arrival and another 50% upon guests checking into the resort. Our staff processed accordingly. When you mentioned that you would like to pay by cash through a cash transaction from your bank, it was processed accordingly. The refund due to you was also processed through the local bank in Thailand. This refund process take a minimum of 2 weeks in order for the bank to verify all the refund requests documents sent to them. Sometimes, it takes longer than 2 weeks. The delay may also be due to the end year holidays.

I sincerely hope that the refunded amount has been credited to your credit card by now. If it is still not credited accordingly to your credit card account by now, please drop me an email and I will follow up with the local bank again.

In the meantime, being the 2nd day of Chinese Lunar New Year, I take this opportunity to wish you and all your family members a Very Happy, Prosperous and Healthy Year of The Horse.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Stayed in 1 bedroom suite from 18 Jan 2014 - 21 Jan 2014, together with my girlfriend.

Before I came to this hotel, I read many negative reviews about this place, but still, decided to give it a go, and was definitely NOT disappointed! Strongly recommended, read on for more on my experience.

When I arrived at the hotel, service was already great. The GM of the hotel Robin Lee, came out personally to greet us hotel guests waiting for check in. I arrived way earlier than my check-in time but the staff allowed me to check in at around 11 am. I was told to have a seat in the lobby while the staff took my passport to arrange for the check in. Complimentary drinks came almost immediately after I sat down and soon enough, there was a porter assigned to bring us to our room in a mini bus even though the room is just a walking distance away. (Please note the whole hotel area itself is quite huge.)

When we reached our room, the porter then gave a brief introduction of our room, telling us how the safe and the jacuzzi work, and where can we find the items such as towels and hair dryer, etc. Room is spacious, looks beautiful and clean, no issue. The breakfast buffet was also great.

Things I think I need to clarify to do justice to this hotel.

1. Jacuzzi: It is not a heated jacuzzi but its perfectly fine considering the price for the hotel.
2. Firm bed: I read reviews earlier saying how terrible the bed is but honestly I feel its good, Its just not the very soft kind the most hotels have but rather the more support and firm kind.
3. Service: Most the the staff are not rude but they don't understand English very well, thus many people deem them as rude in the past reviews. Service was actually great if you ask me.

Location wise, the hotel is located at the top of the hill, very serene and quiet, which was nice. However, it is quite far from eateries and convenient stores, not really a walking distance. There is however, a free hourly transport, to and fro, by the hotel to Patong city and beach.

Things to watch out for

1. If you're planning to make local calls in this hotel, its going to be expensive (20/baht/min). I recommend those heading there to get a sim card instead.
2. If want to save a little do not use the chartered transport at the hotel as it is quite expensive. I would recommend you to take the free transport to Patong town and take a taxi from there instead.

Overall, I had a pleasant vacation in Sea Pearl Villas Hotel and I would strongly recommend it to anyone that is going to have a vacation in Phuket. My girlfriend and I love our time there and cant bear to head home!

Special thanks to GM, Robin Lee for making my vacation a successful one !

From Jeremy, Grey Neo
Delighted and Satisfied Guest.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JeremyGrey
Dear JeremyGrey,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor and having chosen to stay with us even though you have read many negative comments about our resort on Tripadvisor. Most of all, thank you for strongly recommending our resort and clarifying a few issues on our behalf.

I am very glad that you have had a pleasant and memorable stay with us and that we were able to get your room ready upon your early arrival. I try my best to meet every guests that I correspond with.

You are right to mention that local call through the resort switchboard is higher than outside. Most travellers can actually get a free local SIM card which can be topped up at any 7 - 11 or Family Mart convenience stores which are all over the island. When you take one of our scheduled shuttle bus service to Jungceylon Shopping Centre, you will be able to find a 7 - 11 convenience stall in the Basement Level of this shopping centre or the ones along Bangla Road, diagonally across from this shopping centre.

Wishing You and all family members a Very Happy, Prosperous and Healthy Year of The Horse!!
Paris, France
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The complex is really wide. It makes that you must not expect proximity with people, or if you are willing to meet tourist at the pool, this is not the right hotel. Beside that fact, everything was amazing. We took a two bedroom suite and it was beautiful. 2 wide bedrooms, with flat screen, a living room with TV as well, modern furnitures, nice bathrooms and a private pool access. Staff was nice. The restaurant is expensive if you compare it to the local purchase power and you can find 1000 times better in the city. Patong is a bit far if you want to walk but a hotel shuttle takes you the city every hour if I remember and then brings you back at fixed hours.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Robin L, General Manager at Wyndham Sea Pearl Resort Phuket, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Klashman,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor.

Yes, our resort is quite spread out and each section has it own swimming pool that give our guests tranquil and relaxing atmosphere while lazing by the pool.

Your comment about our restaurant menu prices being expensive has been duly noted.
Our schedule shuttle bus service to Jungceylon Shopping Center in Patong City and Beach operates hourly from 8am till 10pm daily.

Being the first day of Chinese Lunar Year, I take this opportunity to wish you and your family members a Very Happy, Prosperous and Healthy Year of The Horse!!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We recently stayed here at the end of our patong/ khao lak holiday for a night and a day. We are frequent visitors to Thailand and have been coming for the last 16 years.

We purchased this as a Wotif secret deal of a 5 star resort (self rated) when we got here it was easy to tell this was not a 5 star resort we come from amazing 5 star in Khao Lak and a 4 star in patong that was just fab too this is more like a 3-3.5 so be prepared !

The room: needs work it is very shabby, towel rack falling out of the wall, aircond hardly works, walls need painting. Beds were clean but towels old and windows and mirrors were streaky! Beds hard as a rock!

The resort itself needs works I was shocked to find out it was only 3 years old. It has cracks in the walls, heaps of bugs, landscaping lacks in just small things like not having enough soil in pot plants ect.. It is a huge resort that might have been nice when it was open but thinking that is the last time that it was worked it.

Location is some distance away from patong and you will require use of taxi's or the shuttle service that the hotel offer. Though when we got on it was unsafe and did not take us to Patong Beach as advertised and the driver tried to drive off why people where getting off and be mindful shuttle service stops at 8pm in which fact you will then need to spend about 300 baht to get back.

Internet poor and very slow

TV channels not many and will have to pay things like HBO

Staff appear to be friendly

View okay but our room view was over a car park and other parts of the resorts

Overall I would not recommend this hotel/resort until it has major renovations and would recommend lowering it self rating and also updating your photos as they are not a true reflection

Thanks

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kim D
Dear Kim D,

Thank you for posting on Tripadvisor that you were disappointed with your recent stay with us.
I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you also for all your comments about the room and surrounding areas. We do have an ongoing maintenance program of all our guestrooms and facilities.

Our scheduled shuttle bus service are only allowed to stop at 2 spots designated by the local traffic police. The first stop is at Jungceylon Shopping Centre and the 2nd stop is at Patong Beach, near the Holiday Inn. We are not allowed to pick up or drop off any passengers along the way. This schedule shuttle bus service to Jungceylong Shopping Centre and Patong Beach is provided free of charge from 10am till 8pm daily.

I am surprised that you mentioned that you had to pay for HBO. All our local and cable TV channels are provided free of charge and there is no "Movie Charging System" installed in our TV system or anywhere else within the resort. In other words, we do not have "Pay Per View" for movies shown on local and cable TV Channels.

Wishing you a very Happy Prosperous and Healthy Year of The Horse.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights for the end of our honeymoon and were fairly disappointed. On checking in, our room was not ready which was frustrating. Thankfully we picked up the room with the wotif.com mystery hotel deal and did not pay full price for this resort. We were in room J102, we had a jacuzzi, however, there was no point to having this as it faced the front entry, there was no privacy at all hence we did not use this once. We could hear everything from our room from the front foyer and the restaurant. Staff did not attempt to talk to us, or provide any service. The food was over-priced, the bed was extremely hard and their were bugs in the room daily. The only good thing was the free shuttle to patong every hour, this was really good. The only time someone did enquire about our stay and our holiday was after we checked out when we were waiting for our taxi. The duty manager on approached us and asked about our stay, he was really lovely. Its just a shame he was the first person to provide any kind of service to us and this was after we had checked out.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dmatheson84
Dear Dmatheson84,

Thank you for posting your disappointment with our service on Tripadvisor.

Official Check In Time at most resorts in Phuket and hotels in Thailand is at 14.00hrs. However, we always try our best to accommodate any early arrivals whenever possible.

Unfortunately, upon your arrival, we were not able to assign the Deluxe Jacuzzi Room that you had reserved. In order not to keep you waiting too long, as soon as we had a 1 Bedroom Suite available, the Front Office staff assigned and upgrade you to this available suite. It was most unfortunate that you did not let us know that you were not happy with this upgraded suite. Otherwise, we would be more than happy to assign another Deluxe Jacuzzi Room when one becomes available.

As for the beds, we had a few complaints about its hardness but on the other hand we also had many compliments that the beds were very comfortable. Such things are matter of individual taste. Unfortunately, we are not able to suit every individual needs and hopefully suit the needs of the majority. With a "forested" area behind our resort, we do have occasional problems with bugs within our resort compound. However, we also engaged professional pest control contractors to handle such problems.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for inconveniences you have had experienced. I take this opportunity to wish you and your family members a Very Happy, Prosperous and Healthy Year of the Horse.
Ferragudo, Portugal
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The jacuzzi really made it on the terrace of our unit overlooking our pool and so quiet with mature gardens,
staff friendly, breakfast a feast and the free transportation to the crowded Patong beach, shopping and so much to do always.
Recommended to organize the transfers and tours at the airport best deal then Hotel,
pool staff and entertainment a must and even did a cooking Thai day with their chef !
would love to return one day !
The fruit is second to none

Room Tip: spacious, air conditioning needed on all time as very hot, our room was close to reception w breakfa...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank VILACASTELOEU V
Robin L, General Manager at Wyndham Sea Pearl Resort Phuket, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Ferragudo,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor.

We are glad to know that overall you have had a pleasant stay with us during your vacation in Phuket and enjoyed using the Jacuzzi on the balcony.

Yes, most of our guests made use of the daily complimentary scheduled shuttle bus to Patong City and Beach, which operates from 10am till 8pm.

Airport transfers cost less from the airport ad the airport taxis and limousine uses Japanese made vehicles and most of the are powered by LPG gas. Whereas our resort's uses Mercedes cars for our limousines service. As for Tours & Sight seeing prices, they are all fixed prices by the tour operators. Sometimes tour operators offers complimentary City Tour but you will end up with many tourist shops stops that you did not asked for. Hopefully you buy something from these tourists shops to cover their expenses for the "free" City Tours.

Glad that you had a chance to take the Thai Cooking class and hope that you are able to prepare Thai dishes by yourself now.

We look forward to your next visit to our resort. Wishing you and all family members a very nice weekend!!
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Plusses: Nice grounds, lots of (shallow) pools. Minuses: Beds that are painfully firm. Jacuzzis that are not heated (so not functional). Some sort of scheme with the taxis where you end up paying far more than standard rates. Most importantly, the hotel requested a substantial amount of personal information from me in order to process the prepayment for the rooms (made on Booking.com) and my credit card was most likely counterfeited. Though I can't absolutely confirm that the counterfeiting occurred at the hotel, when my card was turned off (due to the counterfeiting) the hotel then asked for my AMEX card with a PIN number --- highly unusual. I was able to sort out with the good people at Booking.com but be advised as to this problem.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelingKornfelds
Dear TravelingKomfelds,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor.

We regret to learn that you were not happy with our services and facilities and found that the beds were too hard. Yes, unfortunately we did not install any water heating system in our Jacuzzis during construction of the resort. With the very hot climate in Phuket, most of the time, we felt that cold water would be more refreshing when guests need to cool down.

With modern technology and many fraudsters using counterfeit credit cards, we had to take precautionary measures to ensure that our guests and resort do not fell prey for such fraudsters. Please be rest assured that we do not carry out counterfeiting in our resort.

All Booking.com reservations requires a Credit Card guarantee and we are not able to make use of this credit card number provided by Booking .com to perform any financial transactions by ourselves. Guests are only required to pay directly to the resort for their room charges, upon check in, only. Normally PIN numbers are not required unless the bank needs verification to safeguard the credit card holder and to prevent fraudsters using cloned credit cards.

I do hope that you would give us another opportunity to be of service to you again in the future.

Wishing you a very good weekend!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Wyndham Grand Phuket Kalim Bay
#23 of 328 in Patong
The Charm Resort Phuket
The Charm Resort Phuket
#29 of 328 in Patong

Been to Wyndham Sea Pearl Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!