“Magnificient Villa with poor room service”

Wyndham Sea Pearl Resort Phuket
Ranked #65 of 321 Hotels in Patong
Singapore
“Magnificient Villa with poor room service”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

First day on entry to the compound was awesome. It appeared to be one of the most grand resort in that area and our transport had to drive up the hills before coming to the reception.
We were greeted well by the bell boys and check in was smooth with nice mocktail drink.

The room we booked was one with jacuzzi and a living room. One of the most spacious and well decorated rooms I have been. Amenities were complete except that the shower gels and shampoo smelled like glue.

I would have rated this full star until a call was made to the room service which was by far the worst I have encountered.

First call was made to ask for heating up food service. The operator sounded unhappy but came afterwards.
Second call on the next day was to bring us some plates as there was a huge lizard crawling around on the kitchen table next to the plates.
I explained my concerns for the fear that the lizard had went onto the plates. Instead of being apologetic for having lizard in the room, he sigh so loudly and gave me a long moment of pause before agreeing to come by.

Throughout our 3 nights stay, the ones with the best customer service have to be assistant manager, Mr Boon Ying. He was always ready to greet with a smile and stand up from his seat when a guest enters. Even when we took a van out while he was walking along the slope, he would stop to bow and wave goodbye!

Buffet spread is adequate to fill you up at the start of the day. One egg station is tucked in the corner which we missed until the last day. So do remember to check it out.

Gym is worth going, pool is too small for such a huge compound.

Overall, worth returning only if the service is improved.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager-Seapearl, General Manager at Wyndham Sea Pearl Resort Phuket, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Ms. Ivy,

Thank you for your comments posted on Tripadvisor.

We are glad to hear that you were happy with the accommodation in our resort, except for the fragrance of our bath gel and shampoo.

Sincerely apologize for the behavior and attitude of our Room Service staff, who has already been cautioned to be be more polite and service orientated.

We are glad to know that at least Khun Boonying (Nicky) was always helpful and courteous. Apart from you, he has received many favorable comments from our other guests as well. He has always been able to take corrective actions to satisfy our guests needs at all times.

Sorry to learn that you were not informed of the egg station by our restaurant staff and only found out about it on your last day with us.

We have in total 8 swimming pool with a very large main pool at our Club House, which you might have seen, on the way to our gym.

We look forward to your next visit. Please do drop me an email before your next visit to our resort. I will personally make sure that your future stays with us would be a pleasant and memorable one.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me via email at robinlee@seapearlvillasphuket.com if I can be of any service to you or any of your friends and/or family members, who would be visiting Phuket in the near future Even if they are not staying with us, I will be more than happy to assist them in any way I can.

Wishing you a very pleasant day!!

Yours sincerely,

Robin Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2013

What an amazing, beautiful resort in Patong! From the moment you step into reception you are welcomed by friendly, helpful staff. We were in the 'G block', not too far from all the resort amenities. They offer daily activities & hourly shuttle busses (10am to 8pm) to Patong beach & shopping mall which was great! From the reviews I have read you could walk to the centre of town from the resort but if you know what Thailand traffic & driving is like you would want to stay off the road & just get the bus (no path to walk on). WiFi was great throughout the resort, no complaints there! Buffet breakfast was delicious, especially loved the egg station for my morning scrambled egg fix, different food options daily! The main pool was quiet, but that's a good thing, pool bar staff fantastic & very friendly! I would recommend the seafood buffet for dinner, loads of fresh seafood to choose from & very very good service. It took me months of research to find the perfect resort for our stay & we defiantly found a winner with this place! Thanks Sea Pearl!! We will be back!

1 Thank EmJay2010
Manager-Seapearl, General Manager at Wyndham Sea Pearl Resort Phuket, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear EmJay2010,

Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor. Sincerely apologize for the much delayed response.

Very happy to hear that after months of research you had decided to give us a chance to be of service and finally you found our resort "amazing and beautiful" and the good service you have had received from our reception and pool bar staff. Your comments really boosted our staff morale and make them want to do better. Highly appreciated.

Our complimentary hourly shuttle bus service from 10am till 8pm to Patong City would be the best and safest way to get to Patong City. Traffic in Patong is heavy and drivers here do not really give way to pedestrians, not even at "zebra crossing".

Please feel free to contact me personally via email at: robinlee@seapearlvillasphuket.com if we can be of any assistance. Wishing you a great weekend!!
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed here three nights in July 2013 and were extremely happy with our overall stay. While most of it was just the way we would have liked, there are a couple of things we thought could be better. I will segregated my review as positives and negatives.

Positives:
- The overall resort is exceptionally well done up and maintained also very well.
- The multiple swimming pools across the hotel really help in dividing the crowds.
- The bed was super comfy and sleep quality was amaziing
- The jacuzzi is a major plus when compared to other options in Phuket.
- Check-in barely took 5 minutes and we got a free upgrade!
- The shuttle is another major plus point. Tuk-tuks and taxis charge anything between THB200-300 per trip to the hotel since it is a little away from the beach and bangla street.
- The staff is friendly in all areas, from the bell boys to the people managing the pool bar.

Negatives:
- The breakfast was exactly the same the three days we were there and there is not too much available for non-meat eaters like us.
- Though we were upgraded, we were given a room right next to the reception and people could easily look into our outer jacuzzi area. When we requested them to move us to another room, them refused claiming lack of availability. But when we did take a walk of the property on multiple occasions, villas on the higher levels seemed to be unoccupied.
- If you are looking to hang around the beach area or bangla street late into the night, other hotels like Novotel, Holiday Inn would be a better option.
- We were given a spa coupon for a free head and neck massage at the in-house spa during check-in, but one can use those coupons only on the day of checking-in and before 4:00pm. We checked in only 2:30pm and were not in a state to go for the massage immediately since we had been travelling for almost 20 hours - Mumbai - Bangkok - Phuket. So that went waste even though we requested to make it an exception since we had checked in really late, but we weren't entertained!

Room Tip: Try not getting the lower level rooms. And specially in the I block since the restaurant overlooks d...
Dear Sir,

We are very glad to hear that your wife and you had an extremely happy stay with us, during your recent visit to Phuket.

We have taken note of your comment on the need to have more vegetarian food in our breakfast line up. It is most unfortunate that you were not able to make use of the "Complimentary Head & Shoulder Massage" due to time constraint. I promised to make it up to your wife and you on your next visit to our resort.

Please do send me an email to robinlee@seapearlvillasphuket.com before you make your next visit to us. I will personally ensure that you will have vegetarian dishes for your breakfasts and able to make use of the "Complimentary Head & Should Massage"

Wishing you and all your family members a very nice day!!

Yours sincerely,

Robin Lee
Tumut, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Hotel grounds are beautiful. We booked a deluxe jacuzzi room which was nice, although the beds are rock hard and the tv only has 2 English channels which are all movies. Hourly shuttle bus to junceylon all and patong beach saves a lot of money, it runs till 8pm which was great ( tuk-tuk one way costs 300BHT) There are a lot of pools but none which are swim up bar ( which is what we enjoy at every other resort we've stayed at) Breakfast is a buffet setting, lots of yummy foods. The pool ("chicken" & Santi - bartenders) and restaurant staff are very great, food and drinks are a little bit expensive so we ate only a few times at the resort. When checking in make sure you have smaller currency notes to tip the bell boys as they wait at the door until you have. Aircon in the rooms are great! It was my mums birthday the second day were here and was a little disappointed as to the fact that every other time we have come to phuket in July every other resort knew and always had something special for her, but not this time even after notifying them. There was one other thing that actually annoyed us, upon check in a young gentleman said to us that he can offer us an upgrade for 1000BHT a day because the free upgrades were already taken earlier in the day, but we left it. Then the next week we thought we might ask if we could do the free upgrade that other ppl had received ( we here for 15 days) I was sprung by the words of "we have NEVER given free upgrades at this resort" now I am abit thrown back that either "Nicky" (assistant manager/concierge) was not telling the truth or the ppl who have left " free upgrade reviews" are, I am leaning towards the reviewers really.

Overall, rooms are clean, fresh towels daily ;) the weather was great, only one day it poured down.
Alfa bar was pretty cool, for drinks and snack platter you received.

Was nice but won't come back, prob a honeymooners dream :)

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms D201 and D203 which are deluxe jacuuzi rooms with views of patong/ beach, which w...
3 Thank Dominique2905
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Excellent amenities and beautifully laid out resort. Spent the week in a 'F' block villa. Balcony jacuzzi was clean and operational but did not use due to the miserable weather experienced during our stay. Room was clean and comfortable. Did not like the fact that the shower/bathroom has frosted glass separating the rooms, wouldn't normally bother me however I was sharing with my brother!?! Good range of complimentary toiletries etc. Excellent breakfasts actually one of the best Ive had, extensive egg station and buffet offerings. Breakfast staff friendly and during our final days actually prepared our cappuccinos as we entered! Staff in the resort all-round were excellent and courteous.

Special thanks to the Concierge chap (blue shirt) forgot his name but we laughed with him every night on our return via various tuktuk!! Shuttle service is good but was almost full on every departure especially the 6/7pm ones often people turned away as no seats/standing room!! Should really consider half hour departures during this peak time or running another bus. Not really walkable into Patong due to highway n lack of footpaths, bit isolated unless you pre-organise transport or use hotel cars/shuttle. Hotel laundry was ridiculous priced so took our laundry into town to have done at 50THB/kg. we had free wifi for our stay but it was a little slow and other family members were not able to get services in their villa (D block).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We were welcomed by a welcoming drink by the friendly staff. We booked our stay in March, and ad the guest reviews and searched the website. We concentrated on the positive reviews and kept the negative reviews in the back of our minds. We arrived on July 16th, and like what we saw for the start. Check in was smooth and easy, and in less than 10 minutes we were escorted to our rooms, after being upgraded from a deluxe room to a deluxe suite. In the past reviews people were commenting on the language barrier, but that was no hassle at all. The staff do speak very softly, but I think that is a Thailand culture thing.
The rooms were clean and freshly made, with all the regular lotions and spa shower gels as in many international hotels. The beds were a bit firm, but I liked it. The kids complained a little about this.
Breakfast was the usual hotel breakfast, either continental, or Eastern/Asian. One could eat your heart out, and only buy supper when you visit the town. We had dinner on two occasions, and it was delicious. The pianist played our favorite songs and warmed up to us quite a bit. This is when you treat people friendly and with dignity.
On our daily departure on the free shuttle, the concierge and the front desk staff treated us most friendly, and we felt like royalty. Again, a friendly smile from the guests do carry a lot. Our on-duty manager, Mr.BoonYing, was the best, with always a hello, and of he could do anything for us!!!
We were in the swimming pools the entire weeklong stay. We loved it. We came here to relax, and did just that. One can go on the tours, opted out for our next stay.
Negatives, NONE!!!! Some may be surprised to pay the incidentals either cash (3000Baht) on arrival, or do like the rest of the world, on your credit card.
The weather was great, with only one day of rain. Some days were hot, even for the month of July.
We will come back, and recommend this place!!!

Room Tip: Try to get villas H or I. They are near to reception but away from the noise of a busy hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Danville F
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights to celebrate my birthday. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly by the staff. It was great that a fellow Filipino named Jerome took care of us during our stay and never hesitated to answer our queries. They even upgraded our room from deluxe jacuzzi to deluxe suite- for free! It was huge and really cozy. Free buffet breakfast served us really well. There were a lot of foods to choose from. And then there was a free dinner which we availed on the night of my birthday. We were also supposed to get free 15min massage but we failed to avail it. We were surprised by the nice swimming pool, too. The only problem I think is the wi-fi connection which was not always reliable. But it wasn't a major concern for us because we were out the whole day.

I strongly advise travelers to plan way ahead of time. And check out promos as well. We availed the promo at asia web direct.

This hotel is a very good place to stay in! A must-try!

• Stayed July 2013