“No-frills Phuket stay with Toddler”
Review of The Gallery Hotel

The Gallery Hotel
Ranked #19 of 412 Patong B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Very close to Bangala road and other attractions, but in a cul de sac and very quiet neighborhood. It's a basic hotel with clean and trendy rooms and a small reception area. Traveled in 2010 February, so decent weather and early mornings walks were great to the beach. Right opposite was a cafe with wonderful staff members that would have our infant son's favorite orange juice ready-made and waiting for breakfast, great english brekky too. Right next door were professional massage clinics - NOT THE SLEAZY ONES - where my wife probably spent most of her time in Phuket, being pampered at fraction the cost when compared to Australia. Best part was the massage ladies baby-sat our toddler while we were getting treated :)

Phuket can be very noisy when staying at budget hotels, however, The Gallery was fantastic value with clean & efficient service perfectly located for a young family get away.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed April 17, 2013

this is a small hotel. rooms are basic checked in and got to room it was ok but wasn't very clean the bathroom had dirt on floor and there was stuff left in bin.so not the best start the room
it self was fine tv and mini bar balcony was tiny and there was no view just waste land. staff not very friendly and didn't speak a lot of English wifi was meant to be free but it wasn't. location is fine about 5 miniute walk to the beach and in a quiet area. seven eleven at end of road which is handy as there is no bar or resturante in this hotel all in all I wouldn't go back not worth the price.

Room Tip: try another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Hayley R
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the positive reviews online n photos of rooms i saw online .
The booking process was smooth , we arrived without a hassle , lovely area , nice hotel decor (lobby area) , there's a lift too . We were allotted rooms and at 1h of the A/C being on , there was 20% cooling , this continued till 4hours then 8hours n that night we were sleepless , the room just wouldn't cool more than a 40% or so . Phuket weather in April is a braveheart's task .
What i liked is , their trouble-shooter Poy from next door immediately offered to shift us , she said 'What matters to me is you guys get good sleep,we'll see in the morning' .
we obliged , the cooling was def better in this room but there is a weird positioning of Airconditioners in almost all rooms n hence the rooms wouldnt cool completely .

Let me get to one of the Front Desk guys , he is such a mess , not sure what the attitude is about> mind you i am not referring to a kind hearted female attendee 'Monicha' who is much much better n knew her job well .

I would have never booked this hotel had anybody mentioned about the A/c issues in the rooms , i mean with the price we paid that was the least we expected . I'm sorry to say this but look no further than the 4-5 properties just next door ,your money would be more well spent .

Coing back to the good - The Location is amazing , the thai massage place upfront n the Cafe is a blessing , the Bike Rental Guy 'Ho' became our friend and was very very kind throughout .

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at The Gallery Hotel for 5 nights on honeymoon. Located on a small no through street so nice and quiet. 5-10 minute walk to Patong beach, 10-15 minute walk to Bangla Road. When we checked into our room we were pleasantly surprised to find our bed had been decorated with rose petals. The room is not very big but was absolutely fine for the 2 of us, large comfortable bed, dressing table and chair, quiet air conditioning. The en-suite bathroom is a fair size with a good shower. Small balcony with 1 chair. There is a small swimming pool with a jacuzzi seat, 1.5 metres deep so be careful with children, there is no shallow end, 3 sunbeds. The hotel has a lift but there are a few steps from the street to the lobby. No bar or dining facilities in the hotel but plenty nearby. Small car park.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

First of all, it's a nicely-decorated and clean hotel. The photos on its website are exactly what it is like in reality. The double-room where I spent a three-night stay is not only spacious but cozy, making us feel relaxed and comfortable after full-day trips to the islands.

Actually, we just stayed at night for sleep. We went out all day for island trips and come back for a while before we continued to discovered the exciting night life in Patong area where the hotel is located. Great location is an added value as from the hotel you can walk to many interesting areas, including the Bang La road - the most exciting road in Patong area. The service at hotel is okay. Staff could speak English well enough to understand. I still remember there is a girl who explained and talked to me about the city tour, very helpful and friendly. The service is not perfect, but acceptable in general. There is a small swimming pool with jacuzzi, lovely but the water is a bit too cold, better to swim at noon.

The price is reasonable enough. Around 50USD a night (peak season). You can get a better price nearby guesthouses but I am not sure about quality and service.

Phuket is a great place to visit. The beaches are beautiful. The island trips highly recommended are trips to Phang Nga Bay (full day) and Phi Phi Island (full day). The price is significantly varied from one travel agent to another one, so remember to check and bargain for the best price (to me, it should not cost more than 1,400 baht per per trip). There are two options for the two trips: big boat and speedboat. I recommend you take the speedboat because it's fast and carries less people. Of course, the price of speedboat is a bit more expensive. Not a big deal if you could bargain. Contact me if you need more information about the tour to Phuket: xuanhiep@vnsmail.com.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 26, 2012

New and clean, but not Thai style. All of the facilities work very well - the shower, toilet, quiet AC. Strong water pressure - and I was on the 4th floor. Great location - in the midst of everything but far enough off the main street to avoid the noise. Sure the staff is unfriendly but we found them to be knowledgable, efficient, prepared, intelligent, accomodating, trustworthy and honest. For example - they always had change, they arranged transportation without ripoffs. Also, they upgraded our room for free without pause when the lower class rooms we asked for were full. Other Thai hotels would say, with a sweet smile "sorry sir, lower class rooms are full, we only have upper class available for 1000 baht more". The grumpy little gay man at the front desk checked us in and out faster than any hotel I can remember, and handled all our questions very quickly and correctly. Cheers to you, grumpy gay man! Sometimes you just don't want to be bothered with mindless, probing, [--] conversation.
Other good: Big comfortable bed. Unique modern style for Thailand.
Other bad: pool was very small and shaded and looked like it should have been a hotel lobby water feature (but it was nice & clean). No free Wifi (100 baht/day). During a heavy rain the street outside flooded and the sewer overflowed, so there was murky smelly water that we had to walk thru - yuk.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2012

This hotel is conveniently situated between the beach, Jung Ceylon shopping center and Soi Bangla;

First of all the staff at the desk. It has been mentioned before on this site and I can confirm one of the male staff is a complete disaster. Totally unmannered, indifferent, grumpy, arrogant etc. Very un-Thai and an emberassment for the industry as a whole. My impression is that he is either family or well related to the owner of this place or he is the owner. Otherwise I cannot imagine why someone would have a person like that chasing away so many customers. The other staff are actually quite friendly but no one exceeds average.

The rooms are ok, the beds and shower even very good, but not very clean. Upon arrival my bathroom was stained with several brown spots of water and muddy stuff. Dust was all over the place and my over all impression is that general indifference of the Gallery crew causes this hotel to wear of sooner than it has to. Yesterday my room was cleaned and I found my sheets full with stains. To prevent myself from trouble I made some pictures of it to have some proof when needed.

The pool in the lobby is a joke. It's nothing more than an oversized bathtub. The same goes for the balcony, if you have one. I moved to another room because I didn't have one and then found out the balcony was a 1 square meter crampy place where the aircon motor was blowing out it's hot air. Not a very nice place to have your late night beer and / or cigar(ette)

Several hotels I have stayed in in this area proof that service can be much better as well as cleanliness and overall experience.

Room Tip: If you don't mind being treated incorrectly and a good bed and shower is all you need, you have...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo