“nice place to stay as a budget hotel”
Review of The Gallery Hotel

The Gallery Hotel
Ranked #19 of 413 Patong B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 20, 2012

emm...after viewed those previous comments, i quite worried for my trip in Feb 2012... but now after my trip to Phuket and stay at this hotel, i felt quite nice!!!
when we arrived at the hotel, the staffs there very friendly, i just can remember one of the staff name "Moi" which can spoke Chinese and basic English, great staff!
then once i enter to my room with my wife, we quite happy with the room... overall at this hotel is not bad, clean & the pool oso nice ^^
there is oni one stupid thing happen was at our 1st or 2nd night, the fire alarm RING for two times, however, there is nothing happen and we were told by the staff tat is because last night some stupid one smoke at the room...

anyway, if u guys need find a budget hotel, i think this is quite a nice place to stay la...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank AlanTSR

Reviewed February 2, 2012

It is with sadness that I must say that my stay at the gallery was nearing terrible.
I was a return customer who stayed over new years 2010/11 and returned around the same time 2011/12.

I gave this hotel a positive review last year however after my experience this time I can not do this again.

Here are the incidents that lead to my dissapointment:

1. We booked two rooms. One room for 2 girls and one room for 2 boys.
Check in was slow. After this on MULTIPLE occasions the boys were denied access to their own room and told that they were not guests of the hotel and would have to pay to go up there. When the boys argued that the hotel had copies of their passports attatched to that room and to look at them, they were met with rudeness. Each time they eventually made it up, once with the girl I stayed with having to verify one of the boys identities !

2. WE WERE MADE TO WASH OUR OWN TOWELS. thats right. you did not read that wrong. We were told because the girl I shared with got some foundation on a towel and hand towel that we would have to either pay to have the hotel wash them (400thb = 13 Australian Dollars!) Given all the linen on the hotel is WHITE they would bleach as a standard but no. Furthermore they tried to get us to wash a stain that was clearly old and a colour of makeup that neither my room mate or myself used. Instead of paying the ridiculous amount they expected for the towels we took the towels and our own washing to the laundry up the soi (happy to give a lovely lady business) and got 2.5 kilos of washing done for $8.30 AUD.

3. When we tried to book a taxi to the airport the male staff member at the counter was round, boarding on abusive in his treatment of us which resulted in us once again, booking with an agent up the street.

4. If we so much as wanted a friend (we had friends in another hotel) to come and sit in our room for a few hours while we got ready to go somewhere they attempted to charge us 300 THB for it. They also repeatedly accused us of having other people stay in our room throughout the trip (they were confused between the two boys in the one room and us quite regularly).

5. Their english was terrible. Do not get me wrong, I understand that if I travel overseas there WILL be a language barrier - but at times this barrier hindered the staff from being able to do their jobs properly knowing next to no English. I know that this is not good enough based on the service I have got in other hotels in Thailand as well as just chatting to the Thai people on the street, in restaurants and in bars.

Since my stay one year prior the hotel had clearly not been maintained well. There was mould and wearing in the shower and the rooms looked noticably more tired. I will say however, house keeping were lovely ladies who were (like the trip before), honest, quick, discrete and did a great job. Never did I feel like my sheets werent clean and never did they fail to take away any rubbish. Furthermore the location is great.

The Gallery is by no means a Hotel of Horrors and at times it would be a reasonable budget solution. However, if you are staying more than a few days I would not reccomend it and if there is an alternative at a similar price I would always suggest you opt for the alternative.

Room Tip: Lower floors are nicer.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank miss-rachael-leigh
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Well, where to start... We booked 3 rooms with same arrival dates, and different check out dates. Upon arrival of my family and friends for 2 of the rooms, they managed to reserve everything incorrect but ok, that can happen. However, the first thing without even welcoming us, was being told: "Pay all the 3 rooms NOW". Never ever have I managed to be treated like this in Thailand... (This was the male receptionist who never heard of the word "smile")... After that I arrived in the hotel to check in into the 3rd room and was being told to pay everything NOW (again by the same staff)... I told him we already paid a deposit of 20% of the stay and that we would pay the next morning as I did not have the total amount in my wallet... After a big discussion this was ok then...

Next morning the person behind reception again grumpy and not even a hello or good morning. The good point was they handed out beach towels to their guests.

We were with 4 persons, and the next big problem was arriving back from the beach seperately. We had 4 towels for 4 persons, and when I arrived earlier in the hotel than the other 3, the male receptionist demanded I handed him over 4 towels, which of course was not possible, as my other 3 friends were still on the beach.

The only good part of the hotel were the rooms, these seemed brand new and well decorated. Also these were kept clean.

However the arrival experience, and the way the staff treated us, ruined the stay in this hotel.

My family visits Thailand for 20 years now, and normally stay at Salathai hotel, which had only 1 room for our parents available. My brother, friends and me therefore had to stay in a different hotel.

Never ever have we been treated this way in Thailand. Please find another hotel in Patong, for example the Salathai Hotel, but please don't stay here if you don't want to be treated as some animal...

As everybody can see I stay a lot in hotels, and also the reviews about the hotels in Patong were always good, but not here...

Think again before booking this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank RobbertS
TheGallery2009, Manager at The Gallery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2012

Dear Value Guest

Firstly, we have to apologize for any inconveniences and unpleasant experiences while you were staying with us.

We would like to give some clarifications refer to the issue about our payment policy. Our hotel requires a guest to pay for a room upon check in because we used to experience some problems from payment on check out date. For example, a guest left his luggage in his room and left a hotel without check out and paying the remaining balance.

For Mr. Robert case, as he and his friends have different check in date so we didn’t request his friends to pay for all 3 rooms when his friends checked in first for 2 rooms. We waited until the last room that belong to Mr. Robert was checked in and then paid for the balance. The problem may occur due to miscommunication and the use of wrong wording by our reception such as “pay now” instead of “pay upon check in” as our male reception is not strong in English.

For the beach towel case, normally the guest who wants to borrow a beach towel has to sign his/her name with room number in our register form. For Mr. Robert case, he use his name alone and just his room number for 4 towels so the reception in the afternoon shift may not know that 3 other towels still on the beach with his friends.

I and all the staffs at The Gallery Hotel have to apologize for any inconveniences once again, please accept our sincere apologies and we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your understanding.

Mr. Lertsak J
Manager

Reviewed December 28, 2011

After my stay there a few weeks ago i decided to write this review.The hotel is situated in a small cull de sac in downtown Patong, a few min. away from the beach and Bangla Road, yet still far enough to not be bothered by loud music.It's modern, very clean, with a friendly and helpfull staff, and has great prices everything you would want. It doesn't have a restaurant, but its a few meters away from a handfull of restaurants and a 7-11 , so it's not a problem.The only suggestion i would make is that they should offer free Wi-Fi. It's not a family hotel, as it offers no amenities apart from the small pool on the ground floor, but it's great for young people staying a while in Patong and only interested in the beach and nightlife All in all it's a great hotel offering great value, and would stay there again when i come back to Patong.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sase G
Reviewed December 25, 2011

Positive. The location near to everything important. Beach through a shotcut, only 3-5 minutes. Bangla road just enough far away, but close if you want to visit it. The hotel rooms are quite big. Clean and cleaned every day well. The bathroom is big. The water pessure was extremy good and hot water all the time. There are some clothes hangers, but no other place for clothes. Tendy room and hotel. I have stayed once in R Mar hotel on the same alley and The Gallery is more than half of the price and almost the same standard. There is no breakfast, but opposite are two reastaurants, where you can get breakfast for 120 or 130 thb. I asked on booking phase for a quiet room, from upper floors, with a double bed and a balcony. I got everything.

Negative. The hotel staff are not able to speak proper English. Thus it was sometimes very difficult to get anwers to questions. During my entire stay there was a carneval in town about 500 meters from the hotel. They played music extremely loud. This was not a problem in lower floors, but in upper floors it was absolutely impossible to sleap even with ear plugs before 2 or 3 in the morning. This is nothing to do with the hotel, but check beforehand if there is something loud coming up in town during your stay, before booking. In case you want to have proper sleep.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Fintraveller57
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Rude staff! checked in not so much as a hello. took my own suitcase up to find power not turned on,easy fixed phoned down,staff member laughed but corrected it. one of the 7 days i was there there appeared to be a rust coloured stain on a bath towel i had been using, maybe suntan lotion? anyway before an attempt to clean it was made i was abused about the stained towel in the reception area in front of other guests and told to pay 500 baht. i was embrassed and refused. in short the housemaids were rude and spoke in thai to each other while giving me dirty looks.
I made no secret that i am gay, they the housemaids made no secret that they did not approve of my sexuality. aweful place to stay i hope they go out of business.

• Stayed: November 2011
TheGallery2009, Manager at The Gallery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2011

Dear Value Guest

Thank you for your valuable comment and we have to apologize for making you feel uncomfortable about our service. We would like to inform you that normally we do not have any policy to charge our guests for dirty towel and bedding from normal use, except the case that the hotel towel and bedding are either misused (for example the guest make the towel and bedding very dirty, full with blood, ink, etc.) or contaminated with unwashable substances (for example tattoo, massage oil, shoe polishing cream, etc.). The towel and bedding that were contaminated with unwashable substance can’t be use anymore and what the hotel could do is changing new one. You can imagine if you check in to a hotel and see a towel or bedding that have tattoo or dirty stain on it although you know that the cloth is clean. When our room maids make a room and see a suspicious towel and bedding, they will inform our receptions. Then our receptions will later inform our guests that their towel and bedding are misused and only unwashable towel and bedding will be charged.
After I investigated about your case, the reception would like to apologize for her carelessness that embarrassing you. She said that she was not very fluent in English as she was a newly recruited staff. She said she may miscommunicate about dirty cloth policy. She said she didn’t intend to charge you for dirty towel and bedding immediately but she just would like to inform you that uncleanable and unremovable stains have to be charged but the hotel laundry service will try to wash and remove the stains first.

I as a manager of the property have to apologize for our staff mistake and will take your valuable comment for improving our service quality.

Sincerely yours,

Mr.Lertsak J.
Manager
The Gallery

Reviewed November 28, 2011

The hotel is clean, and is located strategically near soi bangla and the beach, and yet far enough to provide some peace and quiet from the busy road and night-life.
Directly across the hotel, a small coffee shop serve the best mango sticky rice I have ever tried. You can also find a shop that sells shirts for 100 Baht each, buy 10 free 1 a few shops beside the coffee shop (across tiger bar).
The staff has been very accommodating, and overall I am very happy with the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple