“Just Terrible”
Review of Blue Ocean Resort

Blue Ocean Resort
Ranked #41 of 331 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is qmy 4th time to Phuket and have always been impressed with e quality of the hotels and the friendliness of the staff (Diamond Cliff Resort and Impiana Phuket Cabana) I booked this hotel through "CUDO" a discount holiday company in Australia ( 7nights for $400) and due to the reviews on trip advisor reluctantly decided to book this hotel due to the majority of positive comments . This hotel nothing short of terrible with the staff being very rude and unfriendly They had no record of my booking even though I supplied them my confirmation details , they then proceeded to tell me I would need to stay somewhere else that night until they spoke to the holiday company the next day .....once this was finally sorted I was taken to my room to find it run down , dirty and in need of a complete overhaul. ( thankfully the hot water was working unlike some comments on trip advisor ) the breakfast is definitely not up to scratch and to have bowls of jams and honey on display with bees all through it was just ludicrous ( the staff ignored this).The pool is quite nice, however it overlooks a waste dumping land which is gross....I'm currently still at this hotel however am on expedia looking to move to a another hotel ASAP . My lesson has been learnt and I know for next time you get what you pay for and I will hurry straight back to the Impiana Phuket Cabana on my next visit to patong which I love

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
12  Thank Clint S

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I travelled to Phuket this October and this resort matched everything we really looked for! We wanted the pool access room - but could not get it the first night as it was fully booked. So we stayed in the superior room first and then shifted again. Both rooms were of high standards! Excellent!

Staff were always helpful and the manager even helped us with certain issues we had with a tuk tuk driver when we arrived.

We saw reviews about complaints due to problems with hot water, and got worried since we had already booked. But there was no issue at all. Probably, they fixed it already. Best part of the room was the rainshower which was like water massaging you - good fun!

Room offered complimentary minibar - a few soft drinks and snacks. What else could you ask for with such value?

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Blue Ocean was a delight and the right choice that we had made to spend our holiday in Phuket. Its placed in a quiet corner in Patong but still very easy to get around. The deluxe room that we had stayed in were large and comfortable. We were offered complimentary welcome drinks and a fruit platter on arrive. Staff were really welcoming, and helped us throughout our check in process, leaving us right at our room and explaining about all facilities provided in our room.

The tour guy next to the lobby area was also very helpful. We bought the phuket fantasea show from him and he did suggest us some other things we could do around phuket, like the elephant trekking and the phi phi island.

The hotel also has an extraordinary spa, but we did not get a chance to use it since it we went on our last day and it was fully booked. We will definitely go reserve it first if we come back here the next time, which I believe we probably would. All in all, a fantastic place to stay at.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed at the blue ocean 12 months ago & due to the service & rooms, I rebooked again for my husband and I, along with 6 others to celebrate my anniversary and 40th birthday.
The service in the restaurant was terrible. I was the only person there and I asked for 3 different drinks before finding one they had (not even coke!). I then waited 20 mins for someone to either see if I wanted another drink, clear the plates or get me the bill. I ended up having to look around for someone as at 7pm there was no one to be seen.
No people singing like last year either.
The hot wstet was just a horrible joke. We went without for FIVE days. Every day we were told "fixing today", "engineer coming in one hour" plus lots of other excuses.
In fairness to them, we were offered to be driven to their sister hotel for a shower (15 min each way). I finally caved when both my husband and I ended up with terrible chest infections from freezing showers and checked out on my birthday. When checking out I wad again promised it would be fixed in one hour and when I said we were still leaving, I was put on the phone to the manager. He was very apologetic and offered a complimentary spa (no point if there's no hot water). I politely declined explaining we were both now sick and just wanted hot showers. I asked for the room rate to be reduced for the nights we were without hot water and they reduced it by 200bht per night. Not a huge amount but still a kind gesture.

My family stayed and the hot water come on warm the following evening, hot the day after.

I would like to say that I would stay again, but I don't think i would. The service and atmosphere has changed so much in a year and the focus appears to be on Indian guests (given the hotel us Indian owned this is no surprise). No umbrellas by the pool, no bar staff to be seen after 5pm, no entertainment (singers Jenny & Paul weren't the best but they were lovely people who livened the place up at night), no dinner service in the restaurant. Its definitely gone downhill.

The only thing that remains is the lovely supervisor at breakfast & the housekeeping staff who do a wonderful job.

Unfortunately my 40th celebrations were ruined by my stay at the blue ocean. I just wish they had been honest in the beginning and said the hot water would be off for at least 5-7 days. Would have saved me & my husband from getting so sick as I would have changed hotels much earlier on.

• Stayed: October 2012
5  Thank The_Zahras
BOresort, Manager at Blue Ocean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear Guests,

We would like apologize once again for the shortcomings. We hope you understand that sometimes things do break. With the incident of the hot water, we were a bit unprepared since it happened for the first time. However, now that it has been fixed, we will definitely look for ways to deal with it better and quicker if it happens the next time.

We are currently being handled by a management company which have started training for our staff. There will definitely be huge improvements in terms of quality and service. We hope you do give us a second chance to prove ourselves.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We were initially quite pleased at the appearance of this hotel on arrival. The rooms were quite large and very clean, the pool area was nice, staff were friendly, and the shower in our room was so big it could fit a queen bed in it.

Unfortunately we were very quickly disappointed- there was no hot water, and we found out from other disgruntled guests that this had been the case for several days. The staff were incredibly vague on what the problem was, what their plans were and when it would be fixed. Upon reading other reviews from September, it looks like this has happened here before as well.

We continued to ask the staff twice to three times each day about when the hot water would be working. After 4 days of vague answers, it had apparently finally been fixed. When we checked, this wasn't the case, and it was another day of talking with staff and even having them come and check our room themselves. They weren't very helpful so we asked for a better room and something to compensate for our time and unpleasant stay. We were offered a smaller room, that had barely-hot water and a fruit basket (which was actually just a plate of 3 fruits)

We decided to stay in our current room and requested a free dinner in the restaurant, which they honored after several reminders from us. The hot water eventually started working, however even the hottest setting was still only warm.

If the hot water issues hadn't occurred, we would have had a nice stay here and I would have been very happy with the value and service. Unfortunately in this case, the problem was not resolved quickly and the service was disappointing, so I would have preferred another hotel.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are nice and large and the bathrooms are very spacious in comparison to the superio...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank snez_4eva
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We were somewhat happy with the overall hotel but found that there was a real lack of service by the senior staff at the hotel.

We stayed here for our honeymoon and when we arrived found out that there was no hot water. This was okay, because we were told it would be fixed very soon. Another family were angry because it had been cold for three days. For a further four days there was nothing and they kept giving us vague answers as to when it would be fixed. We then demanded a better room, they offered us an inferior room as a replacement. They then fixed it and we asked them to make it right. We were offered a free fruit basket (plate of fruit) which we declined because our room already had one and we didn't eat it AND we had a coupon for one. When we got back, there was another one with a printed note "sorry for the inconvenience". Very annoyed!!!!! Especially being our honeymoon which we told them...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Shane C
BOresort, Manager at Blue Ocean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear Guests,

We are glad that you are happy with the overall hotel. We sincerely apologize for the disappointments that you have faced in your early days at the Blue Ocean this month.

We were also promised by the water system company about the day it should've been fixed, but they did not hold on to their end of the deal, and got delayed for a week, which has now become a major problem for us in terms of guests satisfaction.

The staff did not mean to annoy you, we just wanted to make things right. However, we do apologize if we came off under the wrong impression.

Since you are still here and that you gave us another chance to correct ourselves, with the upgrade to the Blue Ocean Suite, and a full complimentary honeymoon package, (And also that the hot water is fixed) we hope you have forgiven and forgotten, as we will ensure we do our best to make the rest of your stay a comfortable one, and of course your honeymoon - a memorable one.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I had a group of 30 people in feb/2012. I was booking this hotel for the first time and was really scared till the time i reached the hotel. And my god.....it was a great place. Great rooms, excellent washrooms and the best part was that all rooms we got were pool facing. And believe me, its walking distance from patong beach. The service was 100 % perfect and the front office staff was always helpful. Every one liked the breakfast. And the swimming pool was the center of attraction. I am in love with this place.
Well done mr. Sethi and please keep the property maintained. I have recommended blue ocean to many people and other travel agent friends.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business