“You really pay for what you get over here”
Review of Blue Ocean Resort

Blue Ocean Resort
Ranked #42 of 322 Hotels in Patong
Singapore, null, Singapore
“You really pay for what you get over here”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stayed over at the resort from 10th may to 13th. The rooms were pretty spacious with a nice balcony. The view was nth to rave abt though, and the smell of the sewage does get to you at times. Breakfast was pretty decent, just to fill up our stomachs before the day starts.

Most of the staff can't really speak english, making communication difficult at times. To make things worse, my friend had her money stolen from her bag in her hotel room on the 3rd night. Luckily for us, the counter staff was swift to react and promptly arranged for us transport to the nearest police station. Kudos to her, too bad I didnt catch her name. She did also refer us to the manager on duty the next day as they could not retrieve the cctv footage.

What irked me was the manager on duty the next day. He merely told my friend that if the person responsible for the theft is one of their staff, that person would most certainly not be working for them. He did not even offer to follow up and keep my friend updated on the proceedings. We had to request to the manager to keep us updated. Hopefully, the management would take note of this and beef up security in the resort. Or better still, discipline their staff. My girlfriend even had her luggage ransacked, with many of her stuff being displaced in her luggage.

Room Tip: Eh... i would just say, the security in phuket is generally, not so good. cuz when i was at the poli...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank terence17

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Queensland
Reviewed May 14, 2012

One of the reasons why we will definitely go back to the Blue Ocean is how friendly the staff was throughout our stay. Everyone was very welcoming since check-in to check-out. Bell boy at the reception was always willing to help us, the guy selling tours were giving us very good recommendations on where to go, restaurant staff could have had a little better english but everything else was really good, the food - the service.
The rooms are large, modern and spotless! Great beds! I have not slept that well in years! The swimming pool area were well decorated at night, the pool could have been a bit bigger however. One thing I really like about the hotel was the breakfast. Many choices, eggs and bacon freshly cooked right in front of you according to your wishes. Scrambled, boiled eggs, or omellete. Basically there were lots of varieties for us too choose from.
We travel only once a year, and are not sure how our holidays normally would go. I have to say Blue Ocean had a big part in how nice our holiday went this year. We will be back :)

Room Tip: go for the pool access rooms - we loved it!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2012

What Else. Stay if you like Sewer Smell :-)

Stayed at Mai Samui in Ko Samui and in Patong we booked two hotels for our stay
1. Blue ocean and
2. Burasari
After we came from Mai Samui in Koh Samui we were thoroughly spoilt by their excellent service. We werent expecting the same service, but something similar.
We stayed here for 3 nights and regretted every minute of it. I just wanted to leave from the very first minute , I was lucky I had booked rest of nights with Burasari, Patong. Checking in was a nightmare as the staff really dont speak much english at all. The rooms are big, however furnishings are just old and shabby , and really don’t get cleaned very well

Hotel in a nutshell
Good : Room size, staff cleaning the room was good. Room A/C
Bad : everything else.
Day 1 : checkin: We checked in around 9.00 pm. I ordered some room service for food around 10pm as room service dont take orders after 1030pm. I requested
Dish 23 / 25 / 27 on their in room service card
with telling them atleast 5 times : 'NO SEAFOOD'(I have severe allergies for seafood). Staff had really poor english for a four star hotel. Even taxi drivers have better English skills than the room service staff.
Food was very ordinary
Dish 25 came with seafood.
Dish 27 which was green curry and steamed rice came without rice. This really annoyed me as we were tired and it was getting late around 10.30 pm and my young son was very tired as well. I rang room service for missing rice and they sent another full dish (green curry with rice). Bad English skills. This made me more furious and wanted to make sure that new dish was not charged to us. Went to reception around 11.15pm and all english speaking staff had left. Three restaurant staff and one receptionist came in to listen my problem. They continuously discussed in Thai for 30 min and then said they cannot do anything and I should speak to manager who comes in on next day. (just one example of bad service)
Went for breakfast next day in the restaurant, the rest. smells bad of strong egg smell mixed with sewer smell.
Breakfast is a nightmare as the hotel is situated next to what looks and smells like the Patong sewerage plant. The restaurant has no air-conditioning and opens on to a terrace which allows all the insects into the food area. (Please see the pics I clicked from my room)
I read few reviews of bad odour in the hotel and a sewer passing next to the hotel. Since it was mentioned in few reviews,I was assuming it may not be that bad. BUT IT IS TRUE. ONE RAIN FOR 5 MIN AND YOU CAN SMELL IT FROM MILES. (Please see the photos for this hotel which I have attached. View was the worst view - of a sewer and a slum),

Gym was a disgrace, two gym machines placed in a middle of nowhere on maybe 3 or 4th level. (forgot to take the pics)

Cupboard smelled of damp wood. Room locker - digits code were not displayed correctly. So if type 1911. It showed 1411. Can be tricky as u wont the know the correct code which has been entered int the locker.
We had one Indian dinner in the hotel restaurant. My wife and myself complained of upset tummies next morning. Requested for a ice bucket, never came. Requested for a match box and reception hung up the phone. She simply said no matchbox and hung up.

Do not be fooled by all the photo's of this hotel, on their website or by the Tripadvisor review. Avoid at all cost. Stayed at Burasari in Patong and Mai Samui in Koh Samui. (They are 4-5 Star properties. Definitely Blue Ocean should be at best on around 2.5 star)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Manav K
BOresort, Manager at Blue Ocean Resort, responded to this review, May 12, 2012
Dear Sir,

We would firstly like to thank you for your review, and really would like to apologize if our resort did not reach your standards.

Firstly, please be informed that you are comparing a 5 star resort at Samui, to us - a four star resort. We understand that by staying at such a highly rated resort, your expectations set may be higher, but since we are only a four resort we apologize that we did not reach your expected standards.

The sewer that you mentioned about, is actually a canal that leads to the beach. Rarely it gives a little problem when it is too hot and dries up. It is not only us that is facing this problem, but all of Patong. There is however a project coming up soon that will clear us of these problems.

We hope you understand that we are not a 5 star resort. We have alot of good reviews, and may sometimes have a few complaints about one or two things and thats why we are rated at 4 star, not a perfect 5. So with your expectations at 5, we understand why you were not happy with anything at our resort. However, we try our best with everything to make our guests happy and we will always try to improve, which is why we thank you for your comments that we will take into considerations.

And once again we apologize for any inconveniences caused.

Best Regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2012

This is a budget hotel that is trying to pass off as a nice 4 star. The service quality was quite poor. The staff is untrained, non English speaking for an international tourist place. Out of hotel services are very expensive (e.g. taxi) and the staff did not seem to care too much for the customer. Upon requesting for a taxi to the airport, I was just waived off to go and find it myself because the taxi partner company they had was full. Apparently so!

Finally, the pictures and hotel name can be deceiving. This is no 4 star resort. Its a 2/3 star hotel with large sized rooms, decent swimming pool and an open sewer next to it.

Location isnt bad for patong and only the restaurant team, parking attendant and some bloke who sells travel plans in the lobby are quite nice and smiley. The pool is alright.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gdawg5
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed April 15, 2012

The hotel was very welcoming, clean and friendly. Loved that it was far enough away (about 5 minutes walk) from the thick of things that meant it was quiet. The 7 elevan just by the entrance was very handy.

The rooms were large and well appointed with a huge balcony. But the best thing was the shower, certainly not water saving!

Certainly stay there again

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for the view and to avoid mozzies
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Trish V
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed April 8, 2012

This resort is great, you will love it.

Firstly, we are in PATONG, over-populated, full of tourists, minimum government spending. The place stinks, everywhere you walk it stinks. Yes, there is some tidal creek thing next to the resort that stinks too but, get over it, you're in Patong, Thailand! The benefits of the resort make it a-okay.

Our room (pool access) was clean, neat and tidy with some kinky architecture features (blue light shower with look in "window"). The room overall is modern with a central console controlling air conditioning and the lights (you could think you were in a 5 star hotel) and is just plain fun! The bed was comfortable and had crisp linen as well as the most luxurious pool towels I've ever seen! The room also featured a lovely "lounge bed" which was perfect for book reading.

Breakfast was delicious, I over-ate every day! Thai food, pastries, cakes, yogurt and various hot food choices (including Indian). You can ask the chefs to cook bacon, eggs and sausages.

We thought this resort was close but just far enough away from the main strip along the Ocean Front. If you insist on hitting Bangla Road (must be seen!) then you have a 15 minute walk to get there, but if you walk along the Ocean front you'll find plenty of shopping along the way (it's about a 5 minute walk to the start of the Ocean front / beach). A Tuk Tuk is only 200THB from any where on the Ocean front back to the resort, just pay up if you're feeling a bit slack.

It's also near to some very nice bars and restaurants. The place next door (about four shops further away from the beach, just past the 7/11) has a big sign out the front, lunches for 79THB. This place is super quick, clean and the meals are reasonable size (trust me, you don't want anything that large after the Blue Ocean breakfast) delicious and you can order cheap juices or smoothies to accompany the meal.

Thoroughly recommended and hope to return!

Room Tip: We were in 209, Pool Access. This room was in the corner (great) and not a long walk from reception...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Travel-Ade-Australia
Britboyinspain
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I´ve stayed in a number of hotels in Patong over the past months and in line with my policy of only submitting to Trip Advisor when I have something to say (ie either commenting on a disaster or a very pleasant experience) ... well here I am again on a thorough recommendation.
I read some of the below comments about the hotel being situated next to a very nasty, smelly river. Well, the river is, in fact, a creek and is tidal. No getting away from it that the smell is overpowering but, hey, this is Thailand and poor people do tend to throw their faeces and old rubbish wherever they can. This is not Royal Tunbridge Wells. Tourists must adapt.
So, APART from this little set back (and many Patong hotels will be situated next to dodgy drainage or smelly outlets) I can honestly say that (as long as you keep the windows closed ... which you normally would because of the air con) then this has to be one of the most pleasant, cost effective stays in Patong.
The hotel is two years old though looks newer. The room (I had 711) was absolutely spotless. With modernist architecture (nice shower room) and a central consol which controls effective a/c and all the lights you could think you were in a 5 star hotel. Comfortable bed and crisp linen added to the feeling of quality.
I´ll mention specifically the marvellous brekkie which served Thai food, great fresh bread and cakes. You can ask the chefs to cook bacon and eggs and chicken sausages (better than they sound). I reckon this is the best Patong hotel brekkie you can get but be sure to have it included in the room price otherwise it costs.
Position wise, very convenient for the best (quietest) part of the beach and near to some very nice bars and restaurants. If you insist on hitting Bangla then you have a 15 minute walk. The staff were great and I noticed they were training a large number of newbies whose number one lesson must have been Smile!
I got the room on a last minute deal ... 1600 baht for two including brekky and taxes. Booked direct. Well worth the money in my books. Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the swimming pool and the smelly creek.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple