“Awful - we do not care - staff”

Palmyra Patong Resort
Ranked #43 of 321 Hotels in Patong
Kota, India
“Awful - we do not care - staff”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This is what the TWO stars for.

We stayed at Palmyra for 4 nights as part of our honeymoon.

Takes an hour ride from airport. Five minutes walk from Patong beach, Bangla road and all the popular clubs. Perfect.

Ten minutes walk to Jungceylon shopping mall gives you access to pretty much anything you want to eat, drink, shop, entertainment, ice cream. Massage parlors are at doorstep if that is your thing. Also an awesome authentic Italian pizzeria is right around the corner. Great.

A little walk off the main road keeps Palmyra hidden from usual hustle-bustle and loud tuk tuks. Peaceful.

The restaurant has nice setting next to the pool. One particular waitress amazed us with her speed and balance. Food was tasty. Breakfast had decent variety. Something about the eggs didn’t suit my system and for days put me off eggs. Maybe some little ingredient was dodgy but this isn’t a complaint because my husband’s friend and his wife (who booked the same hotel so we all could be together) had eggs too and they were both alright.

Room was spacious which is a given for Thailand. We had superior room with a nice pool view from our tiny balcony. Take care not to leave the sliding door open though or mosquitoes feel invited. Luckily my husband carries bug repellant anywhere he goes so we used that for day one. Room had all standard amenities. Complimentary Wi-Fi was alright speed. Overall room was adequate.

This is why THREE stars are missing.

Now this incident almost marred the joy of our stay. While leaving as usual porters help you with luggage. This is basic service rendered anywhere in the world, even in cheapy crappy hotels. But no, not at Palmyra Patong Resort.

Little back-story is we both managed to slit our foot having fun time at James Bond Island. So I requested my then hopping husband not to carry a thing (or else bandages might open) and rather wait with our friends downstairs. I called reception 3-4 times to send someone to help with luggage. Two attendants came, took lightest bags each, left and never came back. I called again. Requested for porters. Someone (a man) so so so rudely ordered me to carry my own luggage. I said I can’t, am injured in the foot and suitcases are heavy. He didn’t bother to listen and cut the line.

I sat there staring at bags & suitcases. If there was a lift I would have managed. Can’t leave any behind for fear of theft. How do I carry 4 of them downstairs while hopping? My husband came looking for me. I told him what happened. He smiled and both of us managed somehow. I had tears because I know lifting them is hurting him.

If you read our other reviews we aren’t fussy or demanding. I was upset and wanted to meet that rude person but he never shown his face. The receptionist (a woman) didn’t apologize either. The attitude was something like “Dear stupid guests, you paid and leaving why should we bother with you now?”

Well, you should bother. No one is coming back to you.

Room Tip: Stay if location matters and service don't.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HeartOnTravel
MDofPalmyraPatong, General Manager at Palmyra Patong Resort, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Sorry to hear of your disappointing stay with us due to our bell boy's poor service to you. We have spent much time investigating what had happened but it was rather difficult to exactly point who was the bell boy given the date you stayed with us was back in February 2012. Anyway, we did have a very serious meeting to go through your Review about our service to make sure all our staff across the board understand the importance of service to all our guests. We have zero tolerance policy for staff who treat our guests rudely, and perhaps cultural differences or language barrier had come to play that caused you to think our staff was rude. Having said that, we appreciate your feedback and will take it constructively.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Beijing, China
Reviewed August 14, 2012

In general, palmyra is a nice hotel to stay.

8 minutes walking to patong beach, 15 minutes walking to central patong area. Room is big enough with blacomny, or pool access. Buffet breakfast is served in the restaturnat beside the pool, which has hot dishes roated every three days. I ordered a majito from the pool bar, tasted so so, but wired it was in a plastic cup!!

Staff are generally freingly and helpful. There was just one thing I didn't understand. I booked a hotel car for my drop off after I arrived, and I got free late check-out till 13:00. The day before my departure, I cancelled the drop off. On my departure day, I was then told that I couldn't keep my room even to 12:30. Hopefully it was only no hand over, but nothing related about whether I booked the hotel car or not.

The hotel really needs to work on its WIFI, as it is really something that pull the general stay experience down.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The Palmyra's location is either good or poor depending on what you are proposing to do in Phuket. If your proposing to spend most of your time lounging around the pool with just the occasional trip out then location wise this is a brilliant option.
However if you propose to be out and about several times everyday be advised that this hotel is a bit of a hike if your proposing to walk to Phuket's main attractions.There is the option of taxi's out the front but it is a 400 metre walk from your hotel room to the main road.The property is huge but the hotel rooms are set well back from the road .
Had a deluxe room with balcony, overlooking the pool that was absolutely spotless. The room was large, furnished in fengshui style, bed was comfortable, great shower/bath which was perfect. The breakfast was more than reasonable if a little limited, it has a small functional gym and the pool is large and clean.Staff are helpful and charming and the area is quiet.
Downside is that the wifi was atrocious....for such a large hotel that has obviously invested a lot of effort and money in modernising this property to provide such poor quality wifi to its guests, amongst whom everyone has a computer of sorts is poor practise and should be addressed.
I did enjoy my stay here and wished to extend however at the standard regular room rate I felt it would have been poor value. I had booked over the net for less than half of the standard room rate which for me was very good value indeed.
In general enjoyed my stay here, the hotel has to seriously address the wifi issue, brilliant value....... if you pay the right price this is a very good option..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ziggy154
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We spent 4 nights here in early July. We had a pool access room as well as a superior room for the kids. The rooms were really well set out and very well cleaned. It is a handy location- not too far to walk to all the action.
Breakfast was just ok! Only a little variety, so if you are a person who really loves the buffet breakfast experience, then you may be disappointed. The pool area is lovely, but it is very small- quite long( about 30 meters) but very narrow, and it is built in on both sides- one side are rooms and the other side is the restaurant and bar area. This did make me feel a little claustrophobic at times!!!
Overall we Enjoyed our stay- it was spoilt a bit on checkout when the staff demanded we pay for a teaspoon we had supposedly taken- it was very petty and we went to the room and found the missing teaspoon exactly where it was supposed to be! Another member of our party was also asked to pay for a saucer which had been sent back with a room service tray! The language barrier made these situations more frustrating! Anyway, we had an ok time, and when I consider the price we paid, we really can't complain.
Would I stay there again? Probably not, the environment was a bit to closed in for me, but it does offer nice rooms and a good location if you are on a budget.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank travelguru321
Karachi, Pakistan
Reviewed August 1, 2012

i was here with my family in june 2012 ..we stayed in the two bed room villa which was lovely ..large and spacious...the service was efficent and staff was vey helpful and would guide us alot ...the breakfast was alright ..they could do with a bit more variety ...this resort is on the same road as jungceylon but almost 3 blocks away if ure with children and have to walk do consider again ..otherwise a very fine place to stay ...!!!

Room Tip: 2 bedroom villa is very spacious with 2 bedrooms with double beds and a powder room downstairs as we...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank faryal n
Geneva
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Very nice hotel. I spent 2 weeks in August 2011 with my girlfriend there and we very much appreciated the modern and clean room (superior room in the new wing). It's not a top-end hotel though, but you get all what you can expect for the price. A 10 minutes walk from the Jungceylon Shoppingmall and 5-10 minutes to the beach, with restaurants and small shops next to the hotel. I absolutely recommend the hotel for couples and families and would come back to stay there at anytime.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ily K
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We were here in January 2012. So nice. Easy access everywhere and really nice staff. Everything worked good, food drinks etc really nice!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family