New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Viking Residence

Viking Residence
Ranked #215 of 309 Hotels in Patong
newcastle upon tyne
“The noisest hotel room I've ever had”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

I had to book a new hotel upon the afternoon of my arrival in Phuket, due to a serious problem with Agoda with the hotel I had booked for my stay. Please be aware that some of the previous reviews on here are incorrect or suspicious, eg its a 10 min walk to the beach, not 3 minutes as some people have amazingly suggested. Its pretty basic & not great place to stay.

I spent 2 nights here in a Superior Room, basically the noisest hotel room I have ever stayed in, as it overlooked Rat U Thit Rd. The WIFI never worked in the room at all during my stay, everybody had to go down to the reception area if they wanted internet access. The room was clean enough & the AC worked fine, but the bed sheets & duvet covers had holes in them.

I have no problem with the massage girls in the reception/restaurant/bar area doing their job, but its not a family environment really.

Personally, I wouldn't stay here again at all

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank jaynewcastle11

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

only stayed one night but it was a lot better then where we were previously staying, the staff were friendly there is a lift and the room was clean you can borrow a beach towel for free it's a 3 min walk to the beach, great room

will definately return next time!!!

• Stayed January 2014
Toamasina (Tamatave), Madagascar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

i stayed at the viking residence for nine days with my GF and we had a great time. the staffs hospitality and willingness to help with any of your needs was first class. would recommend staying here to any one.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Avoca Beach, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed here for one month. The rooms are clean. Spacious enough for two people, The tv is good, theres a fridge, a safe and its afforadable. The location is great, about a 7-10 minute walk to Bangla road. The restruant down the bottom is good quality thai as well.
The staff were beyond friendly.. My favourite part about this place, always willing to help. Always gave us beach towels, our rooms were cleaned daily and even one day when i had too much to drink, the staff came to my room with free bottled water, cleaned the bathroom of my sick for me and tucked me into bed.
Recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a cheaper option in patong.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michelle E
Basiglio, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed in the Viking residence for some days last August with some friends: the location is good, but a part this I don't see any good reason to stay at this hotel: the rooms are decent size, but the cleaning is something else...In my room the air conditioner was not working properly and unable to control the airflow. The curtain in the bathroom was also falling apart and nobody fixed the problem: we believe this is a clear sign of neglect. Also, the hotel is very noisy not only for is position: two rooms on second floor have been allocated to a "massage" service with people going in and out till early hours in the morning: the massage ladies, sitting within the hotel premises, attract customers in a embarassing way which is not fair especially for families with children. The hotel staff looks like always more interested in chatting among themselves as opposed to attending guests: asking something is very possible, having an answer is something else.
Last and the more important info,about the kitchen: the door, always open, is directly across the street and hygiene is very far from this room.
This is not definitely a place to relax. We will never go back.

Room Tip: Look for some better hotels.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MARIA M

Travelers are raving about these Patong hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here this month with my boyfriend for 4 nights, we are backpacking round asia and this hotel was definetley it the top 2! It has everything you need good hot shower, extra clean room- cleaned daily, an elevator which you really appreciate! A fridge, cable tv, free wifi an spacious room! It is right next door to mini mart and 5 minute walkto bangla road but has restaurants and few quieter - nicer bars just on your doorstep but not too loud to sleep! The ladies who run this hotel are so friendly and helpful and let us use there phone fr free when we were having trouble with the bank! There is also free computer with internet to use! At only 500 baht a night!! Would definetly stay here again! Oh and only 5 minute walk to beautiful patong beach!

• Stayed November 2012
NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed at the Viking with my wife in the month of July for three nights and I based my selection on the location of this property which seemed convenient. Or so I thought..
The rooms are spacious and the food at the restaurant is of good quality. But other then that we found the place to be very noisy, unattended most of the time with the staff apparently more interested in chatting among themselves as opposed to attending guests as it happened in all our previous trips to Thailand.
The rooms are indeed spacious but the air conditioner was not working properly and unable to control the airflow. We had to manually switch on and off the unit making it very uncomfortable during the night as it was either too hot or too cold. We reported this a few times but we were told that this was the same problem in all the rooms....
The curtain in the bathroom was also falling apart and we believe this is a clear sign of neglect.
In appearance the hotel looked clean but we were later contradicted after seeing a rat coming out of the open kitchen door on the side of the building where we parked our mopeds.
With the abundance of hotels and B&B in Patong it is not difficult to find a place to stay in a relatively low season and we believe that Viking is will not be able to attract returning guests on these basis.
We will certainly look at other places to stay in town next time we are around. Definitely not recommended

Room Tip: Avoid Viking if possible
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple