“Watch for Bugs and Scams”

The Front Apartments
Ranked #219 of 406 Patong B&B and Inns
“Watch for Bugs and Scams”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I would have rated one star, but the location and room size were good for the price. Other than that, this place fell well short of pulling off the "boutique" atmosphere they were shooting for. First came the 5 floor climb up very steep stairs, and the staff just watched me struggle with my bags, offering no help. The first night revealed several huge cockroaches and trails of ants all over. When I tried to shower, there was not enough water pressure to supply the fancy shower head that was installed. It was also poorly placed, so in order to position myself under the slow drizzle coming out, I had to lean over the back of the tub and against the wall. There seemed to be no way to plug the tub, so a bath was not an option. Even if I had plugged the tub, I'm sure it would have taken close to an hour to fill. Upon check out, I was informed I must pay 500 baht ($15) because the plastic key chain that drops in a slot in the room was cracked. I'm sure that it was cracked when it was given to me, and this is an outrageous price for a piece of plastic even if I was responsible. I tried to refuse the fee, and I was told they would call the police, tell my taxi driver not to take me to the airport, and report my passport number, so I would not be allowed to leave the country. Over a crappy piece of plastic! Beware of these scams of you visit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Michael M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
California, Maryland
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Save yourself a lot of pain and DO NOT EVEN THINK OF STAYING HERE! This is my first-ever review, because before staying at The Front Apartments, I’d never had a customer service experience bad enough to warrant writing one. This place is the exception.

This place had several problems, which we may have been able to deal with, but the worst one was a complete infestation of ants, beetles, and some weird kind of winged insect. On our second night there we encountered thousands – literally thousands – of ants swarming the staircase that separated us from the door. They were all carrying egg sacs; one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever seen. I raced downstairs to get help, but the staff speaks almost no English, so no help there. I went next door and bought a can of bug spray, came back and emptied it on them. There was a pile of dead ants (and egg sacs) over an inch thick! Later that evening, my already terrified daughter (who found the ants first) came into our room and said she couldn’t sleep in her bed because there were bugs in it. I went out and found about a dozen winged insects in the bed…no idea where they came from, but they kept coming back night after night. She never went back to sleeping in the bed.

We contacted Agoda (the company we booked with) to cancel the rest of our stay and get a refund, given the condition of the room, and were told that the owner, “Mr Georgio”, refused to give us a refund. Worse, he blamed us for the ants because “we brought food into the room” (duh, it’s rented with a kitchenette, pots and pans, and dishes, not to mention and a fully-stocked mini bar). We tried to stick it out, then the final straw – I cut an apple for my daughter and gave her half. After about 10 minutes I went back to get the other half only to find it, and half the kitchen counter, covered in ants. We contacted the credit card company to initiate a chargeback and got the hell out of there.

The other problems I mentioned:

No furniture: in the one-bedroom apartment there was a bed, a loveseat, and a coffee table. That’s it. No drawers for clothes and only 5 hangers in the closet. We were stuck living out of suitcases, without even a foldable luggage rack…our suitcases were on the floor with along our beloved six-legged friends.

Staircase: the “penthouse” we were in had a very steep staircase that did not have a light or a handrail. I ended up falling on our last day, nearly breaking a toe in the process.

Bathroom shower: it reeked of mildew, primarily because it is poorly designed, and doesn’t fit the space it sits in. The leftover space is filled with rocks, which are most likely never cleaned. This plus the fact that the shower floor doesn’t sit flush with the wall, and the surround doesn’t completely enclose the space means that water gets everywhere when you shower and doesn’t drain properly, thus the mildew. There is also no shelf or rack to hold your toiletries, so you are stuck leaving your shampoo, soap, etc. on the floor (the soap you buy – they don’t provide soap). We were also without hot water for two days…had to mention it twice to the front desk before it was turned back on.

Internet: the wireless connection was so weak, the only place we could get even a bit of a signal was next to the sliding glass door in the living room…we spent hours standing next to the window trying to get a stable connection.

The beach is terrible: not the building’s fault, but if you’re booking this place because of its proximity to the beach you should know that the beach is absolutely disgusting…smells HEAVILY of sewage and doesn’t look clean either. I refused to get in the water. There are also many stray dogs there who also use it as a bathroom.

Beautiful in pictures, but unbearable in reality. That and the despicable owner means if you have any problems you can pretty much count on no help, a big FU, and a ruined vacation. Again, for your own good, DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER STAYING HERE! We ended up staying at the Swissotel in Kamala…got a 2 bedroom for roughly the same price as this place, plus a clean beach, pool, friendly, English speaking staff and NO INSECTS…it saved what was left of our vacation.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank KatieG73

Travelers are raving about these Patong hotels

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Just spent a week with the wifey in the penthouse 4A. Loved the 180* view of the beach. The building was nice and clean and staff were very nice and helpfull. Would recommend to everyone and will definitely be going back.
Sensational location!!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Patong - The smelly, bustling, crazy part of Thailand!
Good:
We got a lovely room upgrade for our honeymoon
Close to the action but not too close to hear the noise
Next door to a seven eleven
Clean
Right on the beach with great views
Staff
Nice check in with drinks

Bad:
Free wifi didnt work in our room
Breakfast was limited - not buffet
You had to pay 10 baht to use the phone
Bed was hard and so was the pillows
Smells - Patong smells in general though so this is a problem in all the hotels

Room Tip: Chose an apartment on the top level
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Hong Kong
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Patong is not for everyone but if you do stay in Patong this place is perfect - in a very quiet location at the far end of the beach but close to the action if you want it. The views from our 4th floor penthouse were amazing and with a huge space (80 sqm+) with a separate living room and a huge terrace it was a really great place to stay. The apartments are very modern with great design including slate floors and two big flat screen TVs. This was all for the price of a normal hotel room and whilst breakfast was not included, the place next door which is part of the same group served a great breakfast with views over the sea.

Room Tip: From what I could see all of the apartments have great Ocean views but the higher rooms have sensati...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thePaulhongkong
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

great place, clean, modern, quiet for sleeping yet very near to all the action.

just watch for the stairs if you have issues with climbing stairs request a low floor, we were on floor 5 and its quite a hike altho the staff will help with cases.

recommendation to the hotel to change white vertical blinds for curtains that keep out the sun

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Mossman, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I headed to Patong in mid October for Dental work and stayed at the Front Hotel for 14 nights
I discovered this little sanctuary in a quiet location right on the beach and only a very short stroll to all the action of Patong. It is in a great location, with a taxi and tuk tuk stand across the road. On one side there is a Family Mart and other side is a nice little restaurant called yellow Saffron that does a good breakfast and the staff are wonderful.

There is a small plunge pool which can be used as a jacuzzi, however it is great to hop into with a cold drink and watch the world go by.

Across the road are the sun lounges and umbrella's available for $3.00 per day.

I originally checked in for 7 nights however ended up extending another 7 for the remainder of my stay in Patong. I stayed in 3 different rooms during the stay due to extending my stay.

1st room was on the 4th floor with floor to ceiling windows but no balcony however it had the feeling of balcony anyway. The shower in this room is over the bathtub and a little low for tall people. This room was spacious and had great views across the bay

2nd room was on the 3rd floor had a great balcony, only down side was it was a little small and would really only suit a solo traveler, never the less a great comfortable room and a good over head shower. Once again a great view

3rd room was on the penthouse on the 5th floor and this room was massive with a queen and single bed and the view was amazing.

All rooms where spotlessly clean, the beds very comfortable, the bed linen was lovely and soft I had a good night sleep every night at this hotel.

A couple of things to note. There is no lift in the hotel, however the staff help you with luggage and other heavy items. The stairs are easy to navigate and not steep.
There are no tea or coffee making facilities. I overcame this by getting a $6.00 kettle, mug, coffee and milk from Big C which made my stay a lot better.

The staff where great and a credit to the operation of this small hotel. I would definitely stay at the Front Hotel next time I am in Phuket.

Room Tip: Book a room with a balcony
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo