“Across the road from Finnigans on the beach road”
Review of WAI thai

WAI thai
Ranked #112 of 620 Restaurants in Patong
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were on a mission to find this restaurant based on TripAdvisor. If you walk along the beach from Bangla Rd it is the last restaurant with pink chairs and table cloths. Excellent value for money, cost around $30 for 5 people with entrees, mains and drinks (1080thb). 100 baht cocktails and cheap beer! Friendly staff. Worth the walk! Only let down was the toilet facilities which are communal for the entire strip of restaurants - which were a bit dirty (coming from an ex-plumber!). This would not stop me going here again as this was a great night!

3  Thank Matt and Koby A

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had difficulty finding this restaurant despite a number of attempts. Luckily we found the restaurant in time to have our last meal in patong. The food was wonderful and so cheap in comparison to our hotel. We had deep fried fish, king prawn green curry, seafood noodles and beer all for under £20. Just disappointed that we did not find the restaurant earlier during our stay in patong.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

On Patong beach with your feet in the sand. That's my idea of a great place to eat.
The food is average definitely not bad but not fantastic either. The prices are good and the staff are good. We have been there 3 times now always going back for the beach outside dinning.
Deep fried fish is good as well as there vegetables and also the spring rolls. Took us a while to find it as you can't see it from the street.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Food is average to very good (try fish!) but the atmosphere is what it makes good. However, the hustlers are more irritating than in most of the Patong restaurants

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Yes, it is hard to find due to the incorrect map location on Tripadvisor, however thanks to the instructions posted by Nev78990 and TravellingCat22, we found it easily. We found it easier just to walk on the beach until you get to the life guard lookout tower it is the last of the restaurants on the beach immediately under the tower.

We went twice to Wai Thai, my thoughts on the food are pretty mixed although we just loved the location, feet in the sand looking over the beach to the sea, just fabulous. The first night we ordered pad thai, beef with pepper and garlic, and a red curry with prawn 'thai hot'. The waitress said I should have the yellow curry several times as red is too hot for me, but finally got the message across that I like it really hot.

The pad thai was ok, my husband liked it, but it seemed to be missing some key ingredients re flavour. The beef was quite tough, which was disappointing. My red curry was excellent and hot, although I was surprised at the pineapple in the dish.

The next night we decided to just have a main course each. We ordered 2 red curries with prawn, one thai hot and the other medium hot.

The dishes arrived and I was surprised to see 2 green curries. I said to the waiter that I had asked for 2 red curries, th response from the waiter was that they were red curries ...... aside from the colour, there are some obvious flavour differences between red and green curries. As we both like green curries as well, we just went with it. Unfortunately they were not remotely warm or hot, and they were not very impressive either.

I was quite disappointed in the food this time, and for that reason we didnt go back a 3rd time.

Having said, we quite enjoyed the experience and especially the location. The prices were really cheap for food and drinks, the service was a little confused, and a little inattentive at times but you get that in Phuket.

I would recommend a night here, grab a table in the sand, take your shoes off and enjoy the experience, just dont have high expectations with the food and service.

Been to WAI thai? Share your experiences!