“Good location, generally helpful staff, great tour options”

Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach
Ranked #259 of 407 Patong B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Good location, generally helpful staff, great tour options”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We caught the minivan from the airport, but were not well served when the driver dropped us at the end of Bangla Street and pointed us vaguely in the right direction. The online map from the hotel website was not very useful either, but we eventually found the hotel, tucked just around the corner from the noise and traffic. Very pleasant room although as others have noted, the mattresses are definitely at the “firm” end of the softness scale. View is of a piece of property presumably wrecked by the tsunami and awaiting redevelopment according to the billboard out front. Friendly and generally helpful staff, especially around organizing tours and transport to the airport, but one shift does not always pass details along to the other. When we enquired about a city tour, they offered a van and driver for 1500 baht for five hours and the chance to design our own tour which was an excellent option, and for two people, much lower priced than the set tours. We really enjoyed the rooftop pool and bar, although we experienced much more rain that Phuket is supposed to get this time of year (late November).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Don_G_Wright,
Thank you for your review being a major contributor to Trip Advisor you review is particularly welcome. To those doubter who think we make up our own reviews. So sorry to hear about your minivan service from the airport this sort of thing happens all to often , This is one of the reasons that we offer our guests and recommend our own hotel airport transfer service and if its available for hotel guests tours so much the better. We agree with you regarding the half started development view from the hotel its not the nicest thing to see when you look out your window, but we have been assured that the site will be cleaned up very shortly. Hope you will get chance to say with us again.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This was our first stay at Hemingway's and we really enjoyed it. The hotel is located on a side alley right off San Sabai, where the music throbs practically until dawn -- but not here!!! We had a lovely 4th floor room on the street side and really didn't hear the din at all. Besides the location, this reflects real quality construction and thoughtful furnishing (by which I mean that the floor-to-ceiling closet is installed on the exterior wall) that help insulate the interior from din.

The rooms are small, but not in a cramped way. I would say more in the nature of a boutique atmosphere. The paint and finishing are first class, nice bathroom with good hot water and pressure, most comfortable bed I've slept on in years - Thailand or anywhere else -- spotlessly clean. Quiet effective AC. WiFi was fine. You just need to make sure you connect to the router on your particular floor. Can't comment about breakfast because we never got up that early, but we found the staff very courteous and helpful. We didn't make it up to the pool, this time, but maybe next. One other *major* asset: an elevator to all floors. Ahhhhhhh. So welcome at 3 AM -- or any other time.

Whether you arrive as a couple or cross that bridge later on, this is a wonderful hotel for lovers. We look forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: Nice views from the windows 4th floor and above.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Fleetfeetpete,
Thanks you for much for your kind review, We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your stay with us again.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed at this hotel from the 22th to 26th of Jan, 2014. The hotel is in a good location but the rooms are very small and the breakfast is very POOR as well as the WIFI. There is no service at all in this hotel and it seems that the manager is simply taking care of only the new hotel that they just built(and not at this one). The worst thing in this hotel is that: the washroom is very small and the the shower is set up in a way that there is NO bathtub so the ENTIRE washroom gets wet and dirty every time we take a shower. (That is why they don't show you the picture of the washroom on the website, it is ridiculously small and cramped). For us this is only a ONE star Hotel. It was a very unpleasant and extremely aggravating experience. Please do not believe all the good reviews in TripAdvisor for this hotel or you will be disappointed like us when you stay here! Highly not recommended, bad bad bad bad customer service, and an overall unpleasant experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alex8L
Victor H, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear ALex8L,
Thank you for your review of our hotel, I was sorry to read that your were disappointed with your stay and I am sorry that you found your room very small they are actually 19 square meters plus the bathroom 2.9 2m. With the balcony at 2 square meter. The bathrooms are a typical Asian wet room style with open showers, we often get comments on the guests on how they enjoy the hot powerful shower which as you says does wet the bathroom floor. We will definitely be placing pictures of our bathrooms on our website sorry that we missed it before.. All our other hotels do have pictures of bathrooms and our suite rooms at Patong Hemingway's have bath tubs. For future intended guests reading this please check out our web sites for Patong Hemingway’s, Hemingway’s and Hemingway’s Silk Hotel for Pictures and details of our hotels in Phuket. I would be grateful if you could contact me direct to give me further information on the services in which you were dissatisfied enabling me to make any necessary corrections or improvements.
Victor

Travelers are raving about these Patong hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This is about my 4th time staying here since 2011 and this was my longest stay so far. Really needed 2 weeks R&R and I got it. The rooms are great quality vs. others in Patong and the water pressure alone from their showers keeps me coming back! Yes, power and water go out now and then, this happens throughout Patong and is just part of the fast growth in the area. I sometimes stay at their other location on Soi San Sabiw which has a pool....but either way, you get to use the rooftop pool & bar which is the other reason I like the place. The restaurant quality is hit or miss and could be better frankly. Victor and his manager Sorn (thank you for your help on my parking ticket!!) do a great job to make things right if they don't go right the first time. See you all again this summer.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear 44WOrldtraveller2,
Thank you for you very kind review we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was nice to see you again and hope you will stay with us soon at either of our hotels. I think you may like our new hotel "Hemingway's Silk" which is due to open soon. As always we will ensure that our quality rooms remain with the renowned water pressure in the showers.
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Came here for my wives birthday. Hotel staff is very rude. Don't be surprised if you get shouted at by staff at the breakfast table. Worst experience I ever had. One more day to stay in this hotel. Let's see how it goes

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Wanderlust_SG83
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear Wanderlust_SG83,
Thank you so much for your review telling us about the problem you encountered with our lady staff in the restaurant. We truly apologize for this incident and have taken steps to prevent a re-occurrence of this type. We hope that the rest of your stay with us was satisfactory. Dear future guests reading this please feel at ease to contact the hotel manager at anytime if you feel you have received unsatisfactory service from any of our staff.
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Let me start to say that until the last moment I thought I found my new favorite hotel in Patong but in 15min it changed to be a hotel that I will never stay at again.

The room is small but beautiful.
The prices are good.
Location is nice.

BUT. When I was going to checkout at 6am the man doing the checkout wanted to charge me 4000b more then planned. Luckily my girlfriend speaks Thai and could tell him that it couldn't be correct. After recounting it was 1600b wrong and finally 3b wrong.. All this would probably gone better if he was not DRUNK!
The 3b wrong came from him managed to press 3 instead if 0 when calculating!
Looking at the other staff sitting outside I could see the beer bottles and also smell at him. Also he could not charge the whole stay on credit card so I had to pay some in cash.

So I will not come back.
But I want to give a big plus to the cleaners that made our room very beautiful before we come with roses on the bed and everything. Very romantic.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LifeOnTheRun
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear LifeOnTheRun,
It was so good of you to write a review however I was so sad to read your review and sincerely apologise for our night staff. Be assured that we will take the necessary action regarding his obvious blatant disregard of the hotel rules for drinking whilst on duty. Its such a shame as all other our staff get good reviews from our guests. I would appreciate if you could email me at gm@hemingwayshotel with the date and time of your check out so that I can ensure we discipline the correct person.
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We are currently guests at this hotel and have been more than pleased with the courtesy of the staff, the cleanliness and the location. Nothing is too much bother and we very much look forward to the remainder of our stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Wndy J.
Thank you so very much for your kind review. I hope that you enjoy the rest of your stay with us. If there is anything we can help you with please do not hesitate to ask. We hope you will come and stay with us again.