“Nothing great about it”

Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach
Ranked #253 of 415 Patong B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I stayed in Hemingways Hotel for a night with my husband on our way from Phuket to the Phi Phi Islands. Selected this hotel after reading the reviews on trip advisor. We emailed the owner Mr. Victor Hulme and made our booking directly through the hotel website. Unfortunately he could not provide us with a cheap car pick up from the airport to his hotel ( THB 700 was his price) so we took a taxi for THB 600 from the Airport directly.

The hotel is in a lane which has a series of 2 star and 3 star hotels, so am sure they are all of the same rate. Its about 10 mins walking from the Patong Beach and 5 mins from the bars. Sadly it happened to be the birthday of the King of Thailand the day we landed which meant a dry day, so most of the bars were empty if not shut!

The lady who sits at the reception counter could barely understand a single word of english! No bell boy available to carry your luggage to your room either. When we checked in, we realised we were given 2 single beds instead of a single double bed. We brought this to the notice of Mr. Victor that we were a couple and were on our honeymoon which was specifically mentioned when we made the booking via email, but he shrugged his shoulders saying he couldnt do much as the hotel was full!

The room was pretty tiny but clean and neat including the bathroom. The small terrace provided with the room overlooked a much fancier hotel and a gorgeous view of the mountains.

We were taking an 8 am ferry to the Phi Phi islands and our pick up was at 7 am from the hotel itself. So that we wouldnt miss our pick up, we asked the reception to give us a wake up call at 6 am. Surprise surprise...there was no wake up call at 6 am (thank goodness for our alarm!) and on going downstairs for breakfast at 6.30 am, we find the reception boy fast asleep! The complimentary breakfast included juice, cereals, eggs and toast.

Overall a very basic hotel, and considering there are many more hotels in the area that are equally cheap, I wouldnt hesitate trying the other ones too.

Room Tip: Insist what type of bed you want and double check
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Salz00
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Saiz,
Thank you for your review I was sorry to read that you thought there was nothing great about it, But relieved when I read your all your reviews and realized that probably your expectations were a little too high for Thailand. I took to looking at your comments more seriously. I do apologize for the failings of the hotel with regard to your request for early morning call, As I know it can be complicated when using the hotel telephone system to make an automatic early call. whilst I know it sounds petty of me but our breakfast is not served until 7am. which is shown in the room directory of services. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed May 14, 2011

My girl friend and I stayed here for 1 night as walk ins. Wanted to stay upto 5 nights but found out after a couple of hours that their internet speed was just too slow. I need to be online for my work and simply could not afford that it took upto 10 minutes to open a single page throughout the building. I informed the staff bout this problem and was told that this was down to the bad weather. The funny thing was though that I noticed that the receptionist was playing on you tube at the front desk pc for some time which seemed to work fine. May be that took away the speed for the rest of the building? Also the tiles in the shower section of the bathroom were very slippery. This could be dangerous for accidents. Our room was quiet and clean though and the staff was very friendly to us. A slight problem with the aircon was taken care of almost immediately. I would return providing the high speed internet problem would be sorted. We found another hotel nearby with a good speed.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J B
victornorman, Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2011

Thank you for your kind review. In response to your problem regarding the free Wi Fi connection, We have now a WAP login to provent the system from being slowed by unauthorised use from persons outside the hotel. For sometime now we have been aware of the slippery bathroom floor and as such the tiles will shortly be treated to reduce this problem.
Thank you again for your kind feed back.

Reviewed March 9, 2011

We stayed at Hemingways Hotel for over a month in Jan/Feb. The hotel is only 12 months old and very clean. It is close to everything in Patong, but far enough off the main roads to be relatively quite. Staff are very friendly and provide helpful advice. Excellent value.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Philip G
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear filthy2507 from Canberra,
Thank you so much for your kind review giving the hotel and an excellent report, I note that you have reviewed over 15 hotels and are a top contributor to TripAdvisor. The hotel is honored that you enjoyed your stay with us, I am sure your review will carry a lot of weight when our potential guests read it.

Reviewed February 15, 2011

I stayed at Hemingways for 6 nights in Dec/Jan. The staff was very kind, attentive and helpful. The hotel lobby and restaurant looked fine and the deluxe room was spacious, clean, the shower was powerful. Breakfast was tasty and the choice was decent. The hotel is located a short walk from the centre of nightlife and 10-15 minutes walk from Patong beach however, for paradise-like beaches I suggest taking a short taxi ride down South. There was nothing I disliked about the hotel and I was pleased to find that great reviews I had read about Hemingways proved right.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank conradosss

Dear Conradosss,
Thank you for your great review, Its is particularly nice that your review was a few days after the review on the 8th Feb, As the staff were delighted to prove that they were not worse than terrible report. Thank you so much. The management appreciated your review.

Reviewed February 14, 2011

Stayed here for a 5 night stay. While not struck with Patong, the hotel itself was in a quiet location but a short walk to some very lively areas. The staff were helpful and we only used the dining facilities for breakfast but it was a good hearty breakfast with good service. I doubt we'll ever go to Patong again but if we did would certainly revisit this hotel if we did.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelHemingways, Guest Relations Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Woppa,
Thanks for the great review, Sorry to hear that you did not like Patong (its not everybody's cup of tea) But so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff helpful. I am hopeful that you will give Patong Beach another chance returning one day and stay with us again.

Reviewed February 7, 2011

I am online from Phuket now(8th feb-2011,it is 3 pm now) when I should have been enjoying the room because he room is not ready yet, and the lady at the reception is too bad- she speaks terrible english and hasn't yet got our room cleaned for the check in. Every time i go back to her she says she doesnt know when the room will be ready and that she is too busy to answer my questions. It seems they have only 2 people for room cleaning and the one who should have cleaned our room is on the first floor and she can be done with cleaning our room only after she is done with the first floor. Pretty rude and unorganized, the lady didn't have time to smile at us even once. There are no porters or staff to attend to ones luggage .
We had got our room booked after reading reviews and rankings on Tripadvisor, this hotel is far from the sea and difficult to find.
Please don't book the hotel if you are about to stay here(in patong) for only 2 days like we did. We have ended up wasting a lot of time due to these people.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shuchianand
victornorman, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2011

Dear shuchian, We are sorry that you had to wait for your room, By reading your report it seems that you were very upset by this and that we are only three star hotel without a porter to carry luggage. Bur comments are nothed about the poor english of the receptionist.. I wonder your comments would have been different if you made them after the end of your stay instead of the during the one hour you were waiting for the room. My staff tells mje that you ate your breakfasts heartily and see to enjoy very much.

Reviewed January 24, 2011

1. Cleanliness - The rooms are very clean and new too. Aircon in perfect condition too. 2) Location - It is very near Bangla Seafood Market & Jungceylon Mall which is a mere 3-5 min walk, and is about an 15 min walk to Patong Beach. The hotel is away from the noise of Patong nightlife so you'll have a good uninterrupted sleep. 3) Staff- The lady in the reception was very helpful & speaks very good English. 4) Price

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
HotelHemingways, General Manager at Hemingways Hotel Patong Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Alexey2,
Thank you so much for your review, as a top contributor of a 164 reviews I think your comments will carry respect. We are also so pleased that you found our location convenient and suitable and that our staff were helpful and spoke English. We hope you will come and stay with us again.